is studio ghibli behind the ChilledCow youtube channel ?

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

was watching "whispers of the heart" (great movie by the way) when i came across this scene,

No Caption Provided

which just so happens to look very, very, very, VERY, similar to a 'certain' youtube channel

No Caption Provided

my theory is the great people of studio ghibli are all hip hop heads

lets discuss...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I doubt it. It's more likely that someone who is very, very good at art and who is a massive fan of Studio Ghibli drew those pictures, posted them on DeviantArt or ImgUr or Reddit or something, and then someone used it as the background for their lo-fi hiphop stream.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There's a 99.9% chance that they stole that art and are using it without attribution. The original artist though probably did take inspiration from Studio Ghibli.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Y2Ken

@chaser324: As far as I can tell, ChilledCow runs a relatively legit operation nowadays (their playlists are curated from music that has given them approval or has actually been released through their own label).

Likewise, the animation artwork is a piece designed specifically for the channel - however it was created after the channel received a copyright strike for the animation it was previously using, which was literally that section of Whisper of the Heart. So OP wasn't far wrong in their original theory.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yeah, I was gonna say, I know some lo-fi hip-hop beats to study/chill to stream used the first image, if not now in the early days of the, er, movement.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@y2ken: Cool to know they've gone more legit. Seems likely they did commission the art if that's the case.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's been so much bot spam threads recently that I thought this was going to be another one of those.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this case, post-legitimacy, I'd like to say that "Stealing is the greatest form of flattery."

Love the art in those videos.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I remember correctly, it was Chillhop Records that actually got hit with a takedown request. Maybe it was both, but Chillhop was originally the more popular of the two channels, and had a loop of the girl from Wolf Children studying. Both channels have since gone legit and commissioned original loops (Chillhop now uses a raccoon mascot), but Chilledcow got an original animation produced way sooner. Those two channels using the loops they did definitely set a lot of the tone and presentation that all these types of channels use nowadays, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought that those Chill Hip Hop channels were just following the old trend those Future Funk and Vaporwave videos used to do where they'd get a scene from an older anime and looped it with music over it.

Loading Video...

I would laugh every time I'd watch a movie like Wicked City and saw the exact scene where this was ripped from