what anime you did not like but watched anyway ?

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

so either i am too old or i am just not a anime head like i once was but my buddy and I are watching a series two times out of the week and he picked "Tokyo Ghouls".

Now level with me i have not watched a anime series in a long time (not counting re-watching cowboy bebop a billion times)

This story was pretty epic the first 3 episodes but the last 4,5, and 6 were very slow and was hard for me to watch, feeling drowsy by the end of the episode . i actually have to re-watch it again just so i know who the hell is who,

i am going to stick it out and just get into the anime if i have too, i had a bad experience with crunchyRoll but now this !!

will keep you fellas updated

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By FacelessVixen

The first season on Queen's Blade. I was expecting Soulcalibur: The Animation, but I was bored less than halfway through.

I mean, don't get me wrong: Big titty anime is still up my alley, but Arms made some mistakes.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The closest I’ve come is dealing with an anime that had the cringe knob turned up too high and having to power through to get out of that sub-plot. The biggest one is probably Sword Art Online. There’s no elegant way to phrase it, so let’s just say it’s stuff involving the female leads.

If it’s a show I actively don’t like I’ll stop watching it. Same if it is too boring, I’ll bail early as opposed to giving it a chance. My watchlist for anime, movies, and general TV shows is so long I don’t think it’s worth spending the time.

DrSpaceLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My joke answer is plunder because its actively hates its viewers. My real answer is the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya. I know its supposed to be good and the writing is solid and its just a good show I should like it but shit man, I cant put it into words why I dont like it but man.

it was my version of patrick watching prison break.

DrSpaceLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geeelectronica: Goul is solid, but just be prepared to not understand what the fuck happened and who the hell are the characters when go from season to season. 2 to 3 is the worst, its still a cool show though

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot take: I really don't like Makoto Shinkai's works. I like some works by other directors in a similar style, but not his own stuff. His movies are pretty films with insubstantial characters, overly self-absorbed leads, and a complete lack of consequence (the one exception, Your Name., goes the other way by being too convoluted). However, some of them are bad enough that I can watch them for ironic enjoyment.

Also, the last dozen episodes of Death Note are so godawful but I had to finish the show.

Leopold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone can please attempt to tell me why the hell I put myself through 2 seasons of Seven Deadly Sins, that would be great.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had I not bought the entire collection of Gantz way back when I never would have completed it. Still took me awhile to get through it as it was almost painful watching it.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 14

Neon Gensis Evagablion...not even going to spell it correctly.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

re:zero. Definitely not a fan of it, but watched it because I was going to record a podcast about it. Ended up ditching that effort after realizing what they were trying to portray with the main character.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rewatched a lot of Gundam Wing along with a podcast.

That show fuckin' sucks. I was not a discerning Toonami viewer.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By redwing42

@efesell: Agree. I tried going back and watching Gundam Wing a couple years ago, and it amazed me at how little actually happened episode to episode. But it was pretty cool when I was in high school.

In a different vein, a friend showed me Akira when I was 10, and I was very much not ready for that at all. Coming back to it a few years later, I was better able to appreciate it, but 4th grade me was upset and confused in so many ways by that movie.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m not the biggest of anime watchers. The only thing that comes to mind is Devil May Cry. I thought it was really boring, but I stuck with it, because it was short and it was Devil May Cry. I’m much better at falling off of anime I actually like. I’m watching Neon Genesis Evangelion right now. I was listening to Dan and Bianca’s podcast about it and realised that even though I liked it when I first watched it like 12 years ago, I’ve stopped after 8 episodes. I’m on episode 12 now and am really digging it so far.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched all but the last season of bleach despite only liking season 1-2. Disliked it more every year but kept going for some reason.

Stamosx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Future Diary/Mirai Nikki. It's the definition of disappointment, it really should be illegal to give bad series really good OPs.

Sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16 Sweep  Moderator

I hate Attack On Titan. The writing is erratic, nonsensical, convoluted and there are long strings of episodes where absolutely nothing happens. There's also heavy fascist subtext throughout. Unfortunately there are also action sequences which are an absolute animation masterclass, and as an animator I can't help but enjoy them despite the broader IQ-melting context in which they are placed. I just constantly feel guilty when watching.

I would have said Rise Of The Shield Hero but as that's an extremely problematic misogynistic fever-dream I abandoned that shit early on.

There's a reason moderators don't trust people with anime avatars.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brian_

I got way too far into Naruto and Naruto Shippuden considering I did not like that show. Like, right up until the war stuff started before I finally told myself to stop.

I also finished the "kidnap Asuna so we can build up the incest angle" arc of SAO, before I told myself I was never going to watch any more of that crap.

I can't think of any show I completely finished though, despite not liking it. There might be something, but it's been a handful of years since I watched any anime regularly, and I just don't remember much outside of the stuff I really liked. A lot of the middling stuff I watched kind of just all blurs together in my mind.

carsend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

Hunter X Hunter.

Everyone said it was the next best thing ever, and I didn't like much of it. Just kind of felt generic.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carsend said:

Hunter X Hunter.

Everyone said it was the next best thing ever, and I didn't like much of it. Just kind of felt generic.

Question, I hear this a lot that people hated or think Hunter x Hunter is overrated. Its usually by people who didn't finish it after watching a few episodes and thought it was generic shonen trash as the popular phrase goes (coming off strange to people who did causing a loop of angry rants by fans thus causing the original person to hate it more), or they watch it begrudgingly with expectations (folding hands) to impress them or its trash, then they confirm it's not revolutionary so its bad, or 7/10 (which is a good score given someone who dislikes it, leading many who do like it giving it at least 8/10-9/10). Another is people who say it's too long/slow to get to the good stuff, or uses tropes of the genre. (the length and pace is actually fast for its time, just by today's standards it's slow given anime is now seasonal. Back then people expected DBZ pacing, and creators were told to pace stories that way due to failing sales at the time)

Most miss that it uses tropes of a happy-go-lucky generic story to mislead, and then does deconstruction of the genre. That's what people like about it. People have to realize like most stuff today, telling others to watch this masterpiece of _____ show wont work if the ___ show, like hunter x hunter, was from the past, HXH being started nearly 2 decades ago, and the stuff it does has been copied and done in more recent stuff so it dulls the surprise. Much like alot of popular stuff. I'd say if you saw some of the stuff the plot was building to...which wasnt animated...its hard to say its generic. Currently spoiler...they are on a giant boat with a subplot of 13 princes, that must be assisainated till one remains before arriving. The hook, they cannot be seen atttacking anyone or its considered an diplomatic issue etc. Add that most of the wild cards of gang members snuck into the boat, people are discovering powers, main character isn't involved, tons of juggling of things people want, cursed items, beast, mixed in with thriller elements and horror, such as those trying to leave the boat seeing a strange creature that takes them out, and you got tons of interesting ideas that arent as generic as people say. That said, the main idea is deconstruction of tropes, and to do that you have to construct them as normal, which i get would turn people off after hearing about it being so good and seeing it as a normal story. Sadly its a catch 22, since if you just deconstruct right away, you get batman vs superman the movie wiplash. How much better would that movie be if it started off like the 90s version and by the end batman was believably "darker"

A good video to see why its good to people even if its not good for ya, (which is fair) is "youtube's why you should still watch HxH" I'm also aware everything can be deconstructed and still be generic, but technically all anime could be if you consider almost everything is somewhat done before so still fair for you to dislike it.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryan3370:benefit of the doubt, I thought the beginning was dull till they went to ghost world (i know what it's called). The show adds big filler arcs cause the creator drew consistently but has a style using BIG pictures taking up one word of dialogue. Basically, they could squeeze 30 chapters into 2 episodes given today's modern pacing and not miss a beat. So they caught up to the story and made filler. The filler is probably what you disliked. The story goes from the ghost world to the ending you never saw (So you liked all of what the creator wanted technically) which was a short few eps, then one part that's being animated later this year about a 1000 year blood war. Which was considered bad at the time yet nostalgia made everyone yearn for it. Funny, since today's audience sells better with bombastic spectacle for reaction channels, and less nuanced slow story building, meaning the final arc will sell better today than in the past with constant power-ups, and taking out cast members.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

There's a reason moderators don't trust people with anime avatars.

Wow... Like, yeah. I get it. Rise Of The Shield Hero; not exactly high-brow to say the least. But the notion of looking at anime fans with immediate suspicion because of it, as if most of us are not aware that shows like that are problematic... I hope you were just being facetious, because I'm sure that most anime fans around here are on the same page in that those shows are disgusting and do not wholly represent anime fandom, much like how Miranda's ass and The Witcher's sex scenes don't fully represent gaming.

Sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22 Sweep  Moderator
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And this is my cue to go back to MAL.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never trust anyone with an anime avatar. Never trust anyone that posts Sonic memes.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I watched a lot of Bleach. I watched a lot of Bleach. After the first couple seasons it was primarily so I could complain with a friend about how terrible the pacing was.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleach was my bajiilion episode long shonen anime of choice. Granted I stopped watching it for years somewhere in the middle and came back to it later. But, I think in the end I enjoyed it... I think? I'm glad it's coming back... I think.

chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gundam SEED Destiny is the last thing I hate watched. And I'd complain with another Gundam fan via IIRC.

Chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_kaji: Have not seen Destiny cuz SEED was bad enough for me.