what anime you did not like but watched anyway ?

• 83 results
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

"Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon" is garbage.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By spacemanspiff00

I will never actually finish something that I don't like but 2 that come close are Death Note and Hunter x Hunter. Death Note was great until the big change happens with a decent chunk of episodes left and then wow it went to shit. Hunter was a show I stuck with for a lot of expecting it to get as good as I kept hearing. Then you hit the ant arc and fuuuuuck it just died so fast. I even tried to keep going but could not. Oh and I guess I could lump myself in with the folks that watched more Seven Deadly Sins than I care to remember lol.

Side note: I just finished the first season of JoJo's Bizarre adventure and feel like I'm not sure I really loved it but might keep watching the 2nd season. I dunno.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As one of the only Anime series i have ever watched Gundam Wing fits this bill. The dialogues are laughable and the story is straight up garbage. But i was very happy just watching it for the mech action, despite having to suffer through some of the worst filler i have ever witnessed.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I don’t get the hype and I was mostly confused by the end

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dragon's Dogma anime is laughable but I still watched a couple of episodes since it was fun seeing the characters fight the various bosses. But I couldn't finish it. Utter trash.

Macross Frontier is pretty terrible but I had a good time watching it. MF takes the elements of the original Macross and Macross Plus and goes full ham with them. There are some terrible parts in it, but the music is good and some action scenes are over the top enough to be enjoyable.

But Macross Delta went 300% 'anime' and turned into an unwatchable mess after a couple of episodes. Still can't believe I finished it.

Slayers Try was a major disappointment after Slayers Next.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holycrapitsadam: Out of curiosity, is that the first series, the first series and the first movie, or the whole kit and kaboodle?

Because while I will generally agree it is overrated as hell, the first series, at least to me, was pretty straightforward. Shinji et al fight evil angels. As the number of remaining angels wind down stuff starts to go extra bad. Shinji finds out his father cloned his mother and that is one of the girls he has been lusting over the entire series and then Shinji loses his god damned mind as his father sends his other lust object to die and murders his surrogate mom/lust object and it more or less ends with a breakdown and a non-ending.

The first movie (rebuild?) and all of the kingdom hearts sequels (it DOES amuse me that we give KH the credit for that idiocy) are where things start to get into "you need a wiki and need to pause and cross reference this commercial for tampons to truly understand what is going on" but I always thought the general consensus was that the core series was fairly straightforward?

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: I watched the series.

It could have been because I was basically half paying attention while watching cause I was bored out of mind most of the time but crazy large naked space lady at the end seemed to come out of nowhere to me.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@spacemanspiff00 said:

I will never actually finish something that I don't like but 2 that come close are Death Note and Hunter x Hunter.

I know I'm a decade behind, but I only just recently watched Death Note and it was very hard for me to get through. I stuck with it mainly just out of a feeling that I needed to know and because it's relatively short, but dealing with Light being a massive edgelord is exhausting.

I know that people like their anti-heroes, and that trend was particularly hot back when Death Note was originally released. For me though, it's very easy to cross that line where the anti-hero is just an unbearable piece of trash and Death Note hit that point for me very early on. Sure, in the end Light's god complex comes back to bite him in the ass, but by that point, I was pretty much checked out.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

I found Fate Zero to be a pretty good watch, so naturally I moved onto Fate Stay Night. Halfway through when all the girls are fawning over a main character that had all the charisma of an instruction manual for a microwave, I knew I had made a mistake. But I kept on going because I just wanted to know the fate (har har) of the characters that had returned from Fate Zero.

And don't get me started on how Fate Stay Night has three different versions, which causes important characters to disappear completely from the story depending on which version you're watching.

I would recommend you skip Unlimited Blade Works series and watch Heaven's Feel trilogy of movies instead. I recent binged through all 3 with Blu-ray imported from Japan and those movies are true sequel to Fate Zero since almost every survivor of Zero living in Fuyuki city made appearance in them. Still a relative slow burn but at least faster than the show. Action is out of this world and vibe is more noir than whatever the UBW series is going for.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

I hate Attack On Titan. The writing is erratic, nonsensical, convoluted and there are long strings of episodes where absolutely nothing happens. There's also heavy fascist subtext throughout. Unfortunately there are also action sequences which are an absolute animation masterclass, and as an animator I can't help but enjoy them despite the broader IQ-melting context in which they are placed. I just constantly feel guilty when watching.

I would have said Rise Of The Shield Hero but as that's an extremely problematic misogynistic fever-dream I abandoned that shit early on.

There's a reason moderators don't trust people with anime avatars.

Have read the last 20 chapters of Attack On Titan manga and it has officially replaced Neon Genesis Evangenlion on my anime shit list...Holy shit, it's bad. Guess I don't have to wait until winter to hate-watch it week to week.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#62 sweep  Moderator

@spacemanspiff00 said:

I will never actually finish something that I don't like but 2 that come close are Death Note and Hunter x Hunter.

I know I'm a decade behind, but I only just recently watched Death Note and it was very hard for me to get through. I stuck with it mainly just out of a feeling that I needed to know and because it's relatively short, but dealing with Light being a massive edgelord is exhausting.

I know that people like their anti-heroes, and that trend was particularly hot back when Death Note was originally released. For me though, it's very easy to cross that line where the anti-hero is just an unbearable piece of trash and Death Note hit that point for me very early on. Sure, in the end Light's god complex comes back to bite him in the ass, but by that point, I was pretty much checked out.

Yeah, I made it about 5 or 6 episodes into Death Note and then abandoned it. I watched all of Hunter X Hunter but I wish I hadn't, because it's incredibly slow and often completely inconsistent and nonsensical.

Personally, I think a lot of this comes down to the fundamental expectations and standards for anime just being incredibly low when compared to anything other than anime. It's frustrating to me because there's so much high quality manga, and so much well written Japanese literature, and yet we just keep getting served up the same poorly-written anime tropes. There's plenty of anime series that I genuinely enjoy but very few that I think are objectively "good".

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantpipoc: I actually watched UBW before watching Fate Stay Night thinking it was a straight up redo, like with Hellsing or Full Metal Alchemist. I've only seen the first two movies of Heaven's Feel, but I have to agree that it is easily the best of the three versions, with its darker tone being reminiscent of Fate Zero.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By infantpipoc

@purpleshyguy: Ufotable's UBW series is a more faithful adaption. The double length episode 0 is based on the 2 hours long prologue of the visual novel. I once thought that because the story line of UBW is about Shiro and Rin hooking up, they started the series with Rin's point of view. But no. Even though one has to read through a story line about Shiro and Saber hooking up in the game first, there is always the prologue from Rin's perspective.

My order of watch Fate/Stay Night is as following: 2010's UWB movie, 2006's series(Watched as a direct sequel to Ufotable's Fate Zero back in 2012 since there is nothing else back then.), 2014-2015's UWB series and recently Heaven's Feel trilogy. So what crawl the 2014-2015 series felt to me when watched week to week

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Definitely Inuyasha back in the early days of Adult Swim when they used to play anime after the Family Guy and Futurama reruns during the weekdays.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started up Steins;Gate a couple of weeks ago because it regularly tops suggested watch lists. The first episode threw me off pretty bad, even with having a vague understanding of what the show was about. The editing felt weird, the characters were hard to like... I really wasn't feeling it. I couldn't understand why people love it so much.

I kept going anyway and hit the halfway point. From episode 12 on I binged the whole series. Turns out Steins;Gate is actually pretty great lol.

The first half sets up the rest incredibly well. Even though i had a hard time getting into it at first, it's really important to what was enjoyable for me in the last half. It's a weird feeling to have a retroactive appreciation of something you didn't care for only a day before.

Psygnosis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the worst anime I finished are probably Kiznaiver and Darling in the Franxx.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back when I was in high school in the mid noughts was Duel Masters, a Yu-Gi-Oh knock off that I watched because it was on in the mornings before school but I never enjoyed it.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I watched a show called...Speed Grapher

Jesus wept.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By hermes

@spacemanspiff00 said:

Side note: I just finished the first season of JoJo's Bizarre adventure and feel like I'm not sure I really loved it but might keep watching the 2nd season. I dunno.

I don't want to be that guy that says "it gets better the more you go", but just to point out JoJo's seasons differ greatly in tone, with the 1st one being, by far, the most standard. The 2nd and 3rd seasons are closer starting points to what most people identify as Jojo, so I would advise you to see a few episodes of those seasons before ruling it out.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

TBH I felt like Neon Genesis Evangelion was really disappointing at the end. The follow up shows were worse. Yet, I watched it all just figuring them would pull something good out of teh trash fire they started. I'm not mad at ist, ist just not worth the hype its gets.

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Okay, I haven't watched SpeedGrapher since I bought the DVD's (yes, DVDs, pre-bluray times) but I remember thinking it was a pretty solid little thing. I don't know how well its aged but I remember the positive representation of gay men and drag being pretty remarkable for the time even if the main plot was mostly "Use your horny to get powers"

And its a little tragic that the Protagonist cant take a picture of the pre-teen Damsel without blowing her up.

burritocreases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put on plenty of anime that was just there to be background or just fast food to not care like Full metal panic, Fate Unlimited blade works, etc. Plus ones that were on Toonami or WB block that I sat through and may thought it was okay but mainly waiting for my show.

Lord_Anime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

There is a lot of terrible anime out there. At the end of the day, when 30-40 shows are coming out a season (calendar year quarter) most of it is derivative cash grabs. But to give you an example OF TERRIBLE SHLOCK, watch "Another". It's a 12? 13? episode show? It doesn't matter. the plots and events could probably fit into 2-3 episodes but instead saddle up for boing paced nothingness to happen, and for a mystery to get hinted at but not talked about. Like, BORED OUTTA MY GODDAM MIND. I could only watch it by MST3K'ing it with my partner in the room. Ya some characters die .... that have no character, that you don't care about, that die in boring ways? Horror Anime? Try Borer Anime?

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: what are your top 5 "objectively good" animes ? i need tha deetz

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#76 sweep  Moderator

@sweep: what are your top 5 "objectively good" animes ? i need tha deetz

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken is probably my favourite of the past few years - it's got a great art style, as well as being pretty informative when it comes to anime production, and I like the atypical character design as well.

I don't have the energy to give you a full list, but that's a pretty solid jumping off point.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ghost_cat

The Idaten Deities Know Only Piece, but only up to a certain point. It looks cool and has that MAPPA touch, but the vile attitude towards women with no payoff except for shock value I couldn't stomach anymore. Hard pass.

@sombre: Yeah Speed Grapher was pretty trashy, but it was from an era of really wannabe edgy anime shit that I find really laughable and charming, so I have a soft spot for it.

Also to add to what others have said about Death Note: totally true in that it's really engrossing and stylish for the first half, and then arc one of the whole story ends and the second arc was just a dive off a skyscraper. I kinda understand the huge cult following it had before, but how can you not hate yourself for mustering through that later half for absolutely nothing??

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

A guy at my comic shop in 1990 shoved into my hands his bootleg of "Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend". I watched it, but honestly I don't like body horror stuff and I think it was my first adult OVA. Hey, I watched it - but I can honestly says 1 ) I didn't understand it's story 2) I don't like body horror or people being torn apart 3) tentacles don't do it for me (that is something I guess you only learn after you see it - LOL)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ghost_cat: I've been trying (and for the greater part failing) to develop an appreciation for Anime. So some time back I gave Death Note a whirl.

For me also the first part was at least interesting. But within 2 episodes of the second part (season?) I quit with the idea of cutting my losses in time and attention. It looked like a theme that could go on forever...

iamzain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By iamzain

Anything of the big three. (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece)

In the first place it's not the kind of genre I enjoy (shounen battle action), not aimed at my demographic (it's meant for a younger audience), all have too many fillers and episodes in general and it simply doesn't look the least bit interesting. I'm convinced that a lot of fans of the big three only watch it because they have been watching it from the beginning, but I could be wrong.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamzain: Ah, yes the Toei comic book adaption, one should really avoid those like the plague.

aamirmurtaza87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By aamirmurtaza87
geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Literally just watched Evangelion for the first time, and I didn't exactly like it, but kept watching anyway.
.. I need a hug.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: I didn't like it either. Not in a 'The subject matter bummed me out' but in a 'I can't understand why this is so popular' way. I am aware that I am in the minority on this.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Darling in the FRANXX is not only the worst anime I've watched to completion in the modern era, its also the most crushingly disappointing show i've ever watched in the modern era.

Luckily TRIGGER made up with their GRIDMAN adaptation and Promare but man I was heavily convinced there was no coming back from that one.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The back half of Attack on Titan

It's just been such bollocks

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: Yeah you definitely need to brace yourself when you watch that series. When you find out that the creator Anno was suffering a deep depression when he made it, you’re like ‘You don’t fucking say’.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for me, an anime that I was bored but finished to the end was "mahou shoujo ore" 😅
the concept was catchy, but the execution was kinda edgy and boring. also all the slapstick violence. was. boring. after the first few episodes, boy that got old. 😑