whats your thoughts on CrunchyRoll?

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i think its hot garbage, makes me not want to watch anime anymore.

i gave tower of god a chance and damn that shit was so bad i almost cried

any thoughts ?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see what the quality of one specific anime has to do with the streaming service as a whole. They don't make anime, they just license and sub it to stream it.

And that being said, I find them to be a pretty good anime streaming service, at least compared to their competition. I don't have much trouble smoothly streaming stuff I want to watch, while Funimation or Amazon always feel lackluster and janky by comparison.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Literally the best thing to happen to anime in the last 20 years.

The pirates who don't give a SHIT about the industry, being greedy fuckers still won't use it though, even for like 6 quid a month. In terms of supporting legal, streaming anime, it's absolutely the best thing to happen in all my time watching anime.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to use it but so much stuff I wanted to watch just isn't available there and I cancelled. It's the best option we have in terms of streaming but it's not especially good unless you have very broad tastes and/or want current season stuff imo.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spacemanspiff00

I used it for a long time and would agree with the others that its one of the best legal options out there. Anime is pretty scattered though right now so I find it best to just sub and cancel to whatever service has a show that you want to watch. Most services are less than 10 bucks for a month so its pretty cost effective to jump around if you find your interests in multiple places.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really should give it a go, i've only ever watched anime that only has 1 or 2 seasons so i can buy them on dvd and be done in a couple of weeks, and i don't really want to watch episodes of anime every day so i can't qualify subscribing to something or buying massive box sets... but i've always wanted to try watching Lucky Star.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: It's 100% worth a try, the barrier to entry is so low that if there's anything you wanna watch on there it's very good value and you may well find a bunch of other stuff too.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Its good. Watch less garbage stuff.

Try Space Brothers, Somali and the Forest Spirit, Demon Slayer: Kimetso no Yaiba, Kill la Kill, Keep Your Hands of Eizouken, or My Hero Academia if you haven't.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to lean funimation just because I prefer dubs and they have a few shows I like but it seems like a great thing to me. Very low subscription cost (every time I consider pausing funimation I remember how dirt cheap it is) and just browsing can be really fun.

Mostly it sounds like you discovered the dark secret: Anime is not inherently better or worse than any other form of media. It is just that when it usually takes a massive fandom to be aware something exists you tend to have a lot better curation than if you flipped on saturday morning cartoons.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Low cost, tons of content, I really don't see how all that much to find fault in.

Not all that much into the anime scene these days but I would have killed for it back in the day, beats the hell out of digging on IRC channels.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't follow the logic here. This is like declaring that Netflix is a garbage service because you hated the first thing you watched on it.

I'd probably watch Crunchyroll - and anime in general - a lot more often if they had more English dubs. Sorry, sub fans. It's not that I'm slow, it's that I'm lazy. I also don't like peeling my eyes away from what I'm watching to read something, even if it is for just half a second.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

Literally the best thing to happen to anime in the last 20 years.

The pirates who don't give a SHIT about the industry, being greedy fuckers still won't use it though, even for like 6 quid a month. In terms of supporting legal, streaming anime, it's absolutely the best thing to happen in all my time watching anime.

What this person said!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not completely convinced of streaming in general. I like my DVD's and Blu-rays, and I gained a pretty sizable collection since 2007. Streaming options come and go, and there are some things here and there that you can only get on disc, such as the ADV and Bandi dubs for Evangelion and Escaflowne respectivly. That, and I like editing videos every once in a while.

That said, I'm all for streaming options offsetting torrenting when possible.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14 chaser324  Moderator

You watched a bad anime. It's still a pretty solid streaming service.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I’d love to give it a shot, but due to where I’m currently living any time I check out an anime’s page, I’m always told that it hasn’t been licensed for my region. Maybe one day when I move back home... maybe...

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

It’s a fine service that’s also fairly cheap. Only thing I’m aware of they helped actually make is they had a hand in the Shelter music video which is flippin’ great.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wchigo said:

I’d love to give it a shot, but due to where I’m currently living any time I check out an anime’s page, I’m always told that it hasn’t been licensed for my region. Maybe one day when I move back home... maybe...

Just get a vpn. Many many better reasons to have it than this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

They're probably one of the better ways to (legally) watch anime on the internet these days, and they have a pretty solid library and back catalog of stuff. Their web player can be a little janky, but it's at least better than VRV's (which is somehow worse despite being owned by the same company) and miles better than Funimation's.

As for bemoaning Tower of God, the secret is to watch stuff that is good instead of the "flavor of the season" hype show.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the service in theory, and I've enjoyed using it, but man can it be a stuttery mess at times. This is not an issue with my Internet connection because other streaming services don't have the problem, but if I try to use Crunchyroll during peak times it just does not work for me. Considering that I pay for the service that is no bueno and I may cancel because of it if they can't get their shit together in terms of streaming. I don't demand perfect quality but it has been unwatchable for me quite a bit during the pandemic.

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324:

it was not one, it was many, TOG was the nail in the coffin.

i think i will stick Funimation they deff make the best material

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

@geeelectronica: Funimation also does not make anime. They also only licence anime for streaming. The only significant difference between Crunchyroll and Funimation is that Crunchyroll does subs only, while Funimation specializes in dubs. Crunchyroll also has a way better streaming app.

But neither of them are responsible for the quality of the anime being made.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally didn't get much out of my subscription. I think the service is fine if you watch a lot of anime.

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funimation license the best anime

Case Closed series, Yu Yu, Dragon Ball, Tenchi

i mean c'mon, for crying out loud!, need i say more?

if it wasnt on the funi app i'd better off buying a anime series from the Funimation catalogue

then spending my stimulus check money on crunchyroll

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are all old series. Are you more interested in discovering something new or re-watching something you already like? Cause if it's the latter just buy the series you'll save $$ in the long run.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rahf

This sounds like a poorly disguised dig against Crunchyroll.

I find it serviceable. Along with Netflix it covers a pretty broad span of cartoon stuff, most of which I'll never watch.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno just sounds like you aren't very interested in Unlimited Anime.

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I find crunchyroll functions better and is more stable than most streaming services and better than funimation but both work pretty well.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Ravelle

As a European it kinda sucks a big chunk of it isn't legally watchable on it because of licensing issues. Unlimited Anime is kinda a false advertisement. ;p

Luckily the couple of shows I do watch are on there.

I would buy more Anime DVD's and box sets if they weren't mostly 70 bucks for like 5 episodes.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It used to be great when most everything was on it, but now multiple services have popped up and the the current shows are being split among multiple services. It's also really annoying how one season of a show will be on one service, and another season will be elsewhere.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally prefer Funimation myself. I'm locked in their old rate of $6 a month and the older I've gotten I tend to prefer dubs over sub, though not always. I rarely keep up with the current new anime like at all, and find Funimations back catalog better than Crunchyroll.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Congrats on the flamebait OP, hope you got the response you wanted.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

If it weren't for Crunchyroll I'd never get a chance to watch stuff like Laid-Back Camp and A Place Further Than the Universe, which both have risen as some of my favorite shows to watch. However I haven't noticed an anime that has came out that's made me really want to use Crunchyroll to watch those. Also technically it can be a mess as sometimes the screen won't let you rewind or go back to a specific point of the show you want to see again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the UK and I like the older stuff so maybe that's part of why the selection seems so limited to me.

You guys can probably help me, I wanna watch basically all of the Gundam UC series'. What would be the best way to do so legally? Crunchy roll did not have them in my territory.

I have got 0079 and the Origin of the Red Comet thing but I'd love a one stop shop for the rest if possible.

mattcorb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just use Kissanime..

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few too many ads and they all are usually for their own products (sometimes the one you're watching). 25 min anime with 10 minutes of ads is too much. I don't watch anime enough to pay for it and I don't like to bootleg now that it's available legally. I'd rather pay to read Manga online (specifically one piece and MHA)

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather pay to read Manga online (specifically one piece and MHA)

You're in luck! https://www.viz.com/shonenjump is a monthly sub of $2! For the entire backlog and current chapters of both those series and many others!

Support official releases.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6 said:
@wchigo said:

Just get a vpn. Many many better reasons to have it than this.

I do have a VPN. I actually suppose I looked into Crunchyroll before I obtained one.

That being said, does CR play nice with VPNs? I've previously heard about VPNs not playing nice with Netflix in some manner, so I'm not sure if the same would apply to CR...

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikachops

Ignoring the ops bad reasons, for how much money they’re probably making it’s a pretty shit site, sans the decent streaming speeds.

They don’t have 2fa or good security in general, which was a big factor of how someone was able to hack my account once. They were good about refunding me for it but still... as a relatively prominent streaming platform it desperately needs an overhaul.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I use their app on my PS4 and it's a pretty average app, but it's cheap to get rid of the ads and I can easily keep track of the very few anime I actively watch; Keep Your Hands Of Eizouken, Boku No Hero Academia, Haikyuu and Tower Of God because we're in a lockdown baby, and I do what I want.

I don't understand the Tower Of God hate in this thread? It's no less stupid than any of the other popular anime, and at the very least it's not as insidious or creepy as a lot of the alternatives. Plus it looks pretty.

I'm a film snob and that extends over to anime as well; I think most anime is at best inconsistent, poorly animated, thoughtless and convoluted, and at worst misogynistic and problematic. I consequently trust very few anime recommendations as I've been burned too many times, and also think 99% of the anime on Crunchyroll can safely be dismissed. But that's more a fault of the anime, not the streaming service.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's pretty good, rather cheap and with a good backlog, especially if you are into newer stuff. There is a loooot of garbage in each new season, but that is the fault of the producers, not the service...

If you are more into classic anime, there are alternatives, including Netflix and Amazon, so you are mostly covered.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wchigo: I haven't used vpn, but I would be surprised if they are not extremely friendly about them. Until fairly recently, I was able to bypass the regional restrictions simply by changing the language at the bottom, which is fortunate since I can read subtitles for most of the options...

Amingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they had more movies.

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep:

didnt read past actively watch:tower of god

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: Lucky Star GIFs | Tenor For some reason (that reason being me) this gif has been circulating in my non-anime friends' chat room so I started looking into rewatching it. I have VRV which is Crunchyroll + a bunch of other stuff but only available in the US, and I noticed they don't have Lucky Star! Funimation does have it though, which also has better options for dubs, so that might be a good option for you. I've been thinking about switching over myself since my wife prefers dubs.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fugoy said:
@oursin_360 said:

I'd rather pay to read Manga online (specifically one piece and MHA)

You're in luck! https://www.viz.com/shonenjump is a monthly sub of $2! For the entire backlog and current chapters of both those series and many others!

Support official releases.

Cool thanks. Had no idea that was available in the states. They do a good job hiding it, took me forever to see that little link on there lol.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@geeelectronica said:

@sweep:

didnt read past actively watch:tower of god

Yeah I've seen you dump on that anime a couple of times in this thread but you haven't really articulated why, or what your problem is with it, which means nobody can really engage you on the subject, and that's not really helpful when trying to figure out whether this service is appropriate for you.

Maybe instead of looking for reasons to rudely disengage with people who are taking the time to answer your question you should explain exactly what you don't like about that anime in particular?

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep

the two i watched before TOG i forgot what they were called but tbh they were not worth remembering

then came TOG, the way the show began was corny and the story seemed very rushed it felt like i was watching a anime for a 1st grader i finished the first 10 episodes i believe and did not continue after that,

then i assumed a lot anime of the anime on crunchyroll was like this so i watched a few other animes with negative perspective

basically my thoughts are the reason why crunchyroll is so cheap is because the anime on it is bullcrap and Funimation is not part of it anymore which makes crunchyroll the very worst

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread sucks.

"I hate Netflix, because I watched The floor is Lava."

Dude get a life.

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points