Respawn's Titanfall Battle Royale game "Apex Legends" looks pretty great...and available now!

• 141 results
big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By big_denim

Really dug what I saw from that reveal event.

• Free to play (cosmetic microtransactions)
  • Squad based play. You can choose between a number of heroes with unique abilities.
  • Doesn't have wallrunning or mechs sadly, but there are ziplines and other abilities that open up mobility/map traversal a bit.
  • Available now :)

Anyone else excited to give this a shot?

[MOD EDIT: We removed the youtube video and have replaced them with a link to the staff Unfinished/QL. Thanks]

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Downloading it for PS4 now. Looks incredible honestly, and I recognise a lot of the animations from TF2 which makes me excited. Didn't seem to have quite the same fast movement and wall running, but the character powers seem quite inventive.

Would be interesting to see if they are going to fo the Fortnite route and have limited time modes, and be creative to keep things fresh all the time and keep everything changin, or go the Overwatch route for a steady rollout of characters to keep expanding the game on a fairly linear path.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downloading it now... Haven't really been grabbed by any battle royale games yet but I love Titanfall 2 so I am excited to play this.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If Apex Legends is the defibrillator that keeps hopes for a Titanfall 3 alive, I'll take it. Even if I'm not much a battle royale person.

MAJOR EDIT:Goddammit.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but this doesn't look great at all. It has no wallrunning or double jumping. I am really disappointed.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, the timing on this is a bit awkward though, given that this drops out of nowhere a mere 11 days before EA’s OTHER Game as a Service. One that had a demo that had a (shall we say) tepid response at best.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A battle royale game with mechs sounds great, this doesnt seem to be that though, shame. I hope this doesnt impact Titanfall 3.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak:

https://kotaku.com/titanfall-3-is-not-in-the-works-respawn-says-1832336218

Sorry to burst your bubble.....

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

A battle royale game with mechs sounds great, this doesnt seem to be that though, shame. I hope this doesnt impact Titanfall 3.

Both Jason Schreier and the Respawn guy said that Titanfall 3 got turned into this. Depressing.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well fuck.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

played a match and i dont see a reason to play this over blackout. they basically stripped everything that made titanfall interesting.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they took titanfall out the back and shot it in the head

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

LOL at this quote explaining the surprise release:

"We're doing a free to play game, with essentially loot boxes, after we were bought by EA, and it's not Titanfall 3. It's the perfect recipe for a marketing plan to go awry, so why have that - let's just ship the game and let players play."

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By BladeOfCreation

@hoodcommando: Oh...that is disappointing, to say the least. I prestiged a couple times in the first game. Didn't play much of the second game's multiplayer, but LOVED the story. This replacing a potential Titanfall 3 is extremely disappointing.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoever's doing marketing for this game deserves a raise. I can't get away from it today.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a good game I don't give a shit whether or not it's Titanfall 3, and it looks pretty rad.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised at the fairly generally good reactions to this, to me it just kinda seems like they stripped out everything that made Titanfall not just a Call of Duty game. I'm sure it's solid since both Titanfall games were but watching some gameplay...it just seems like another battle royale game, just looking a like like Black Ops 4 instead of PUBG or Fortnite.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, this is a battle royale game. It just happens to be probably the most polished and refined of the bunch. I gave it a shot, and I think it plays well, which isn't a surprise, given the Respawn pedigree. With that said, Battle Royale games aren't my cup of tea, and hearing that Respawn isn't working on Titanfall 3 at the moment is incredibly disappointing. Hopefully this does well and gives Respawn the financial and reputational caches to work on a Titanfall 3 in the future.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I heard Respawn was making a BR game my mind immediately went to the movement so it's disappointing that they decided to take all of that out because that was the stuff that would have differentiated it from other BR games. It will probably do okay just because it's free but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything particularly interesting.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brackstone

Initial reactions after playing a bit.

The ammo feels weird. Guns have really low magazine sizes, extended mags don't help them that much, but you need almost all your mag to down people, if you're 100% accurate. Ammo and health are also somewhat uncommon.

I need to learn the weapons, because it feels like I'm shooting marshmallows while other people can melt me. I'm sure that will come, but it's not as straight forward as Blackout was, for instance.

EDIT: Got a GB discord up. Mostly just some GB folks that are regular Blackout players so far.

https://discord.gg/PERa3Ff

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By Nodima

This is my first Battle Royale; I don't own a PC and the free offerings on PS4 never caught my attention (I just know I don't have the coordination and builder mindset to be any good at Fortnite) until now. I really haven't enjoyed online competitive FPS since the first Modern Warfare, people just got far too good at it for me, but Destiny got me back into the FPS genre generally and I did enjoy my time with their and Titanfall 2's multiplayer so why not let this one be my first?

After the roughness of Anthem I'm glad this one is zippy as hell, it feels like you can get out and into a match within three or four minutes if not slightly more/less. But man do I suck at this. Right now I'm trying to focus on Gibralter since his skills seem like they can make an unskilled player like me useful to others but I can't get over my old reluctance to fire off skills in case I need it a second later (for some reason I never felt this in Destiny). I also haven't seen another Gibralter in the wild yet so I can't tell if his huge frame makes him an easy target if he isn't constantly popping shields; in the game where my squad fell apart quickly, I died to a Pathfinder player because I just ran right past him in the open like a dummy. I feel like Gibralter is just too big to miss the same way.

I had one game where the squad broke apart pretty quickly and that was a lame experience, but I also had one game where one guy in the squad seemed to be gobbling up every item we came across and when we finally encountered an enemy two of us still hadn't found a gun yet. It's going to be really interesting to see if people start developing a silent language for this game; I go into every round just deciding that I'll follow the person who jumps in (or give up voting rights to someone else if I'm that guy) no matter what but I can't tell if others are having that same instinct or not.

I like the feel of everything except picking up items. I've resorted to just sweeping the floor and mashing the button essentially, which makes me feel less like a killing game television hero and more like an idiot that mostly plays story-focused big budget third person action games.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Efesell

Haven't played a shooter in a while and god damn I'm trash but it seems like a lot of fun.

But goddamn BR games, just allow solo queues in everything. Even if its a shit idea to do so just let me be by my dang self. I wanna learn a game while only being a detriment to me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

@49th: Wait, they took out the Titanfall movement? What's the bloody point, then?

No solo queues sounds terrible, too. I don't play much battle royale, but when I do I don't like to have to cooperate with randos, and none of my friends play first person shooters anymore.

All in all, can't shake the feeling this is gonna be EA's next Dawngate-style also-ran and this will disappear in a year or so and everyone will forget it ever existed.

morningcoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems real good but man it's stressful. Mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing and my teammates are running off while I'm trying to figure out what some attachment does. It'd be nice to have a more extensive training mode where we can get a better idea of how to play this game.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely in the camp of those disappointed that we're getting this instead of TF3 any time soon, BR games aren't my style.

Game looks good though, hope it does well.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems to be no way to mute voice chat on PS4?

So that versions a Big No.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By mikemcn

Soooooo No Wall Running? Seriously?

Who the fuck made that decision. Did that COD game with wall running in it that people didn't like spook respawn into taking out the coolest feature of their game?

I can forgive the robots but without wall running there is no flow to any of the movement. Damn shame.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sooo...no Titanfall 3?

Fuck that.

I loved the multiplayer in the first game. There was too much bullshit in the second game, but the campaign more than made up for it. I’d have loved a third Titanfall...

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Looks like I'll be downloading this when I get home. Played the heck out of PUBG, been looking for a Battle Royale game on console that's not Fortnite.

morningcoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By morningcoffee

Man I suck at this. I've played about 15 matches with a grand total of 3 kills. Got carried to #2 a couple of times though.

So far pathfinder has been my favorite class. The grapple is really nice for getting into position (or getting out for that matter). Knowing where the next circle is is nice too because playing with rando's can be kind of aimless when you don't know where to go next.

Seems like most people pick Wraith so far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The time-to-kill in this game seems ENORMOUS, given the fact that teammates can respawn. I feel like I'm dumping full magazines of shotgun ammo at close range without killing enemies.

Also, man, do I not care for battle royale shooters.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mellotronrules

well- i'm happy this seems like a snappy and legit exciting one-of-those for the BR and f2p folks.

meanwhile, the good money says anthem lands with a tepid thud and after a few months gets quietly scuttled to the bottom of the sea because it's more expensive to maintain and doesn't have the long microtransaction tail that these f2p games have.

*shakes fist at sky* CURSE YOU AND YOUR DARK ELECTRONIC ARTS!

/rant

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm into it so far. None of the skins look tantalizing to me at all. Unless they really pump out Overwatch style visual reworks of characters I can't imagine caring about skins I can unlock let alone pay money for. Though I think OW is one of the only game to do skins right, that's partly because the characters are so likable. These characters are fine but don't have the "life" or personality OW's characters do. Plus you just don't see them enough for that to really matter.

I find all the saltiness about this not being Titanfall 3 to be really silly but I can say they shot themselves in the foot by tying this into Titanfall at all. Still, this isn't Titanfall, there will probably be a Titanfall in the future, and it's cool if you don't like BR games but it's kind of silly just to blanket say that because this is BR and/or not Titanfall that it automatically sucks. With that said I don't know, do what you want.

The non-voice communication stuff is really smart and justifies the squad only design choice. Though I do hope they add solo games in the future. What this game needed to do was make a good first impression and it has definitely succeeded in that. I'm curious to see how people take to it over time, what they have so far is promising. It addresses most of the problems I had with CoD's BR mode.

I also hope they stick to it, really pump out changes with new stuff to see and do. I have to imagine that's the gameplan or why throw your hat in the ring at all? Especially at an FTP model level.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nodima

After playing a ton, some thoughts:

• Well, I get why everybody seems to dive so deep into their first battle royale.

• I feel like snipers, LMGs and shotguns are way more valuable than pistols, SMGs, scout rifles and assault rifles.

• Wraith is my go to since I pulled an epic kit for her, but it seems like two of Wraith or Bloodhound are picked by near every squad.

• Seems like nobody has figured out you unluck stats to display on your banner under each character's page yet. Make the match intros more interesting!

• If you were someone put off by Destiny's reliance on team shooting, stay away because the solo TTK here is long and your worst nightmare is focused fire from multiple enemies.

• Seems like the best strategy so far (the one game I won) is to wind up in a dense location that happens to be close to the final circle and turtle up there collecting supplies. Not sure how that compares to other BRs.

• The ping system is legitimately incredible when everyone on the squad is on the same page. It's only happened to me twice but it's super lame when somebody just spams the hell out of the commands; how this community deals with trolls like that is going to be super important in the early days.

• Two Wraith strategies I've been working on: phasing to flank someone who has a teammate pinned down and taking them from behind and hanging back while teammates push forward prepared to set up a warp tunnel people can jump back to safety through if things get too hot. Both feel pretty natural for the character depending on whether you have a close range or long range build. I'm curious how other people are playing the other characters, in my brief time with them I haven't figured them out yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some random thoughts:

On the one side I hope it becomes a success. Respawn deserves it after the stellar but financially failed Titanfall 2. However at the same time if Apex Legends has legs and keeps players interested, Titanfall 3 might become the next Battle Royale victim besides the initial Fortnite game mode and Unreal Tournament.

Also in case Anthem's cost of cosmetics turn out to be in line with the infamous leaked screenshot, they will look extra bad by proxy of another EA game that came out only 2 weeks prior and is free to play.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nodima

@efesell said:

Seems to be no way to mute voice chat on PS4?

So that versions a Big No.

If you notice the mic icon on their banner, when you're on the plane hit the Options button and you have the choice to individually mute their mic and/or their pings. You'd have to do it on a match by match level in that case but the option isn't completely missing from the game.

(You can do it at any time so I prefer to wait and see if the guy is going to be someone who's genuinely helpful or someone who's just going to go on and on about how fucking cool the game is and how if you didn't know there's no fall damage, there's no fall damage but also how the game is so pay to win [as they use the character you'd have to buy the Founder's Pack for to have unlocked already]...you know, that guy.)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find all the saltiness about this not being Titanfall 3 to be really silly but I can say they shot themselves in the foot by tying this into Titanfall at all.

I think Respawn always knew they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If this didn't have any ties to the Titanfall universe - everyone would just be asking "where's titanfall 3? what's this shit?". And then people would stop talking about it a little sooner. By having it tied to Titanfall, you get all the guns and weapons they've already made to bring over. And yeah the movement is different from Titanfall - but I honestly don't think super fast paced movement works in a BR game. Super fast paced movement brings the skill ceiling of Titanfall to an extremely high level, where people who are excellent at it will absolutely chew others up. That works in a 5 minute game where you're constantly respawning, but in a game like this I think it'd just lead to more frustration than not.

I've played a few rounds of it now and I'm enjoying it. I'm happy that Respawn got to make a new shooter and beyond that, they got to release it and the release has mostly been incredibly smooth. Out of the three or so hours I played last night - I had no disconnects, I had no glitches or bugs or lag. The game downloaded pretty quickly. It pre-loaded enough to let me play in the tutorial while I waited on the rest.

@inevpatoria - re-spawning a team mate is a difficult enough process that it rarely happens. You need to collect their tag, you're now down a person. You need to get to a re-spawn point and then channel while exposed. I think in time people will learn that the two best ways to wipe out a team are A) camp someones loot coffin for team mates to come try recover them and B) camp the re-spawn location for people coming along.

As well, with there being seemingly fixed re-spawn locations, as the circle gets smaller you eventually run out of them. At least that's what it looks like so far.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By soulcake

Remember when EA released Titanfall 2 and the new Battlefield in the same month.... Just so they could buy up Respawn.

Even to this game is set in the Titanfall Universe it doesn't look anything like it, i always liked the look of the operators in Titanfall.

At first i couldn't really put a finger on the art style but now i know what it reminded me of "Quake Champions" for better or worse.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: I think some people in chat were comparing the look to Brink.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dodobasse: That's offensive to Brink, i feel like Brinks looks was at least more original at the time.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the most fun i've had with BR since the first months of PUBG and im super happy about it. Jeff during the unfinished talking about what this means for Titanfall 3 reminded me of when my son asked me when his dead dog would come back....heartbreaking innocence haha.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, I hope this does well for Respawn, just so that they can maybe make something else (with a single-player part) in the future too. No interest for BR personally, sadly.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: All good points, I completely agree. Which is probably why they didn't put the actual words "Titanfall" in the title at all. Managing expectations while also trying to sell a FTP BR game puts them in a weird spot but I don't think they played their cards wrong necessarily.

The map (maybe excluding specific structures) isn't made for things like wall running anyway so it not being there is something I get over pretty quickly. It feels good regardless if you ask me.

I'm curious if they'll eventually tie this more to the Titanfall we recognize as they go along. If not in gameplay then at least more specific and recognizable landmark ways like "whoa, in this part of the map there's a giant Titan sticking out of the ground and over there is the factory you run through in the TF2 campaign" I think things like that could go a long way in winning people over.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There sure are a lot of people upset that TF3 isn't being made which is odd considering that no one really stuck with TF2 anyway.

As someone who has actively hated BR games this game makes so many smart changes that makes it an absolute blast to play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musclerider said:

There sure are a lot of people upset that TF3 isn't being made which is odd considering that no one really stuck with TF2 anyway.

"No one" is definitely a misnomer. It has a small community, sure, but that community is extremely passionate. And Titanfall 2 is widely regarded as a tremendous game even on the basis of its singleplayer efforts alone. Placing the blame on Titanfall for its playerbase woes--that's a myopic position. It's probably worth reminding that EA sent the game out to die, releasing it in a one week window between Battlefield and Call of Duty without any noteworthy promotional backing.

The fact that it has a following at all should be to its credit.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

The online shooter landscape is pretty sad if you aren't into battle royale, oh well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria - re-spawning a team mate is a difficult enough process that it rarely happens. You need to collect their tag, you're now down a person. You need to get to a re-spawn point and then channel while exposed. I think in time people will learn that the two best ways to wipe out a team are A) camp someones loot coffin for team mates to come try recover them and B) camp the re-spawn location for people coming along.

As well, with there being seemingly fixed re-spawn locations, as the circle gets smaller you eventually run out of them. At least that's what it looks like so far.

You're totally right. In fifteen-ish games, I think I've only seen our team revive a player twice. That's probably because I'm terrible and playing with randoms, but also because it's a massive gamble to chase down player banners.

I think I've warmed to the time-to-kill after getting more used to the flow of the game. It can still be a baffling experience, dumping so much ammo into a player with a purple-level shield, but I like that the game provides visual cues for the attackers. If you hit someone with a high-level shield, you'll know it.

The game is smart. The team at Respawn have really put together something cool.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but this doesn't look great at all. It has no wallrunning or double jumping. I am really disappointed.

I'm missing it too, but that much mobility would ruin any attempts at tactical squad gameplay. It feels like the extra mobility is something reserved to a few characters, like that dimension lady or the robot guy. Wouldn't be too surprised if future characters have a double jump/wallrun as an passive.