Game of the Year Predictions App

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I saw someone compile a list of all the previous years' Top Ten lists and it inspired me do to something for Game of the Year with the API.

So I made this page with a list of all of the 2015 games that were even a little bit notable on the left, and a drop down list on the right where you can select a Giant Bomb Editor, and then sort a list of ten games that you believe will be their personal Top Ten. Drag games from the left to the right to put them on the list, and then drag them up and down the Top Ten list to reorder them.

The point is that we can all make and save a list, and then compare with the real Top Ten's when they're publish in a few weeks and see who got the most picks correct. Kind of like filling out a NCAA basketball bracket.

This isn't 100% complete yet. I'll finish it this weekend. You can build and order all the lists just fine, but you can't save your list yet. I've got to finish up the username/sign-in portion such that I can save your lists to the database. But if you want to take a look, think about your lists, maybe check for bugs, I figured I'd give you a preview. Call it Early Access if you like.

Things to do:

I looked through over 1200 games from 2015 and picked the most notable ones. Pretty much anything I'd heard of or sounded like an important title. Though after doing that I discovered that I'd somehow missed both Rocket League and MGSV, so I had to go back and add them manually. If you see anything missing, let me know.

You can use the username/secretcode of 1234/1234 or 4321/4321 to test the sign-in stuff, but all you'll see is just a success or failure message for the login. You can also test the availability of new usernames, but like I said, you still can't actually save your list yet, so these are mostly useless.

Whenever you drag a game to the list, it automatically becomes the last item on the list, pushing the previous last item off. I'd like to make it such that you can drag it directly from the list on the left to its proper place in the Top Ten list, but I don't know if jqueryui is going to cooperate.

Currently it's not very mobile or touch friendly, hopefully I can address that this weekend. Use a desktop browser for best results. It seems to be fine in Chrome, Firefox and IE.

There's no attribution to the giantbomb.com api.. I'll add that too.

There you go. Poke around, tell me where it's broken, and I'll link again when it's completely done this weekend. This will give us a little more than a week to make our pick before Game of the Year actually happens.

Game of the Year Predictions App

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Questengine

Finished the logon and saving bits, so its fully functional. I did get a bit of strep throat or something this weekend so I didn't get to make it touch or mobile friendly, sorry. There's a formal post about it with some instructions and an image on the General Board but the link above is still the correct one if you want to go back and see it.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

there's a few notable (albeit unlikely) absent game choices from your list

* Cradle

* Read Only Memories

* Dex

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got literally dozens of other games on there that have no chance of being in a top ten list, but I included them just for the sake of completeness. I'll try to add your 3 tonight.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added those three games.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ikramit

@questengine: You might want to also add assassin's creed syndicate I think it might be in alexs top 10

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yoshi's woolly worls isnt on the list but will almost certainly be in alex's top 5.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, I'll add both of those tonight. I'm actually pulling for Yoshi to show up somewhere.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

River City Ransom: Underground is on the list. It was initially supposed to be released during Q4 of this year, but has now been delayed until sometime in 2016.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Questengine

Added Yoshi. I'll remove RCR tonight.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By Lelcar
@ikramit said:

@questengine: You might want to also add assassin's creed syndicate I think it might be in alexs top 10

Yeah, I came here to say this. It's definitely going to be on Alex's personal top ten.

Edit - apparently, you've already added Assassin's Creed? I don't see it on my list

Also, The Beginners Guide should be added for consideration on Austin's personal list. And Yo-Kai Watch for Drew. Also Rock Band 4.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I overlooked AC:S. It's still missing. One more to add to the list. Thanks for all the catches folks!

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing is wrapped up now, there's a few results pages but they use voting data more than the API really.

General Discussion Post