GiantBomb for Windows Mobile

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By evilspants

I just got myself a AT&T Tilt 2, and I was thinking it would be cool if they had a GiantBomb app on the new Windows Marketplace. I know demand for it might not be high, but I had a G1 unlocked and messed around with the Android version of it. It ran alright, but I didn't good use out of it because a G1 on At&T only gets EDGE. Not sure how well the iPhone app works, but judging by the development community and all that I have heard, sounds like it runs pretty good.

This is just an idea, maybe more a request, but if there are other Windows Phone users out there and you would like a GiantBomb App...maybe put a reply here in this thread?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By harris

I don't really know anything about developing for those phones; but after coding the GiantBomb android app, I'd certainly be willing to help out anyone who decides to write a windows mobile app, as far as accessing GB resources and stuff goes.

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By evilspants
@harris: I know next to nothing about coding and such, which why I asked :). Assuming that somebody knows how to I would love to see a GiantBomb App for a Windows Phone, I would even test it.
evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilspants

Alright, so this topic is getting views, as far as I can tell, and...maybe small amount of interest. Though I suppose the development (if it does happen), should probably wait for the Windows Phone 7 series. It looks like it is much more robust in terms of what a Windows Mobile Phone can do. Check out the Mobile World Congress 2010 show.

subrandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By subrandom

i know i would certainly like a windows mobile app or maybe a more standard webkit version of the site for mobile browsers... either way. The biggest problem right now is that the .net comact framework is a complete piece of garbage.

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By evilspants
@subrandom:
If you have the Opera 10 beta for Windows Mobile, the site loads, and seems to be in full function. And as for a webkit browser there are very few available. Also try the Skyfire browser too.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fbomb

How is Windows Mobile? I always wanted their OS to work properly on phones, because having their office suite available on the go would be amazing... more so than any of the other "fun" apps that the iphone may have. Productivity software in portable form would be amazing, as would a fully functional Outlook that synched properly with my email, task list, and calendar from my main computer. I'm always super excited about Windows Mobile, but have been dissapointed every time so far. Have they addressed the issues enough to be competitive yet?

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By evilspants
@Fbomb said:
" How is Windows Mobile? I always wanted their OS to work properly on phones, because having their office suite available on the go would be amazing... more so than any of the other "fun" apps that the iphone may have. Productivity software in portable form would be amazing, as would a fully functional Outlook that synched properly with my email, task list, and calendar from my main computer. I'm always super excited about Windows Mobile, but have been dissapointed every time so far. Have they addressed the issues enough to be competitive yet? "
Well its seems with the latest version, Windows Mobile 6.5, which is currently available as on the very latest Windows Mobile phones from HTC and some LG phones, (I am using a HTC Tilt2 with AT&T service), that they have at least addressed the fact that the OS wasn't all that pretty. So all the menus and such are much more stylized and finger friendly as well. As for the syncing with Outlook, it looks to be done quite well with a threaded email view. And Office Mobile 2010 is really awesome.  I don't know if you would conisder it  enough of an improvement though. OH, and the text messaging now are fully threaded as well. The thing is, its still Windows Mobile 6.XXX, based on code that has been marginally edited and changed over the years. While this latest version is better and quite possiblly the best, I think you should wait for Windows Phone 7 series.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fbomb
@EvilSpants said:
" @Fbomb said:
" How is Windows Mobile? I always wanted their OS to work properly on phones, because having their office suite available on the go would be amazing... more so than any of the other "fun" apps that the iphone may have. Productivity software in portable form would be amazing, as would a fully functional Outlook that synched properly with my email, task list, and calendar from my main computer. I'm always super excited about Windows Mobile, but have been dissapointed every time so far. Have they addressed the issues enough to be competitive yet? "
Well its seems with the latest version, Windows Mobile 6.5, which is currently available as on the very latest Windows Mobile phones from HTC and some LG phones, (I am using a HTC Tilt2 with AT&T service), that they have at least addressed the fact that the OS wasn't all that pretty. So all the menus and such are much more stylized and finger friendly as well. As for the syncing with Outlook, it looks to be done quite well with a threaded email view. And Office Mobile 2010 is really awesome.  I don't know if you would conisder it  enough of an improvement though. OH, and the text messaging now are fully threaded as well. The thing is, its still Windows Mobile 6.XXX, based on code that has been marginally edited and changed over the years. While this latest version is better and quite possiblly the best, I think you should wait for Windows Phone 7 series. "
Yeah, I'm absolutely waiting. I'm guessing they're going to better integrate Office Mobile 2010 by building it at the same time as Office 2010 (I've already downloaded the desktop Beta and haven't noticed a ton changes from 2007, so I'm assuming better mobile integration will be one of the key enhancements to the code. Honestly, I've wanted to like Windows mobile for a while, and have had windows mobile on a few devices already, but this looks to have the ability to finally deliver on features that only a windows device could have.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By nanikore

WINDOWS MOBILE AHHHHHHHHHHAAAHHAHAHAHHA 

That is all.

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By evilspants
@nanikore: Yeah its the laughing stock of the mobile industry, especially since the emergence of the iPhone, but the improvements they have made Windows Phone 7 seem to well worth it.
fearbefore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fearbefore

Not sure that it will help you, but I'm starting to work with the Windows 7 Mobile SDK .  I'm are doing some R&D with it, so I figured duplicating the GB app could be a decent jumping off point since I'm fairly familiar with the GB API.  That being said, are there screens of the Android/iPhone apps floating around that I could take a look at?

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By evilspants
@fearbefore:  I am excited about the Windows Phone 7 series, but it remains to be seen what exactly can be done with the OS, as it is a brand new base code.  I would like to see it on the Windows Mobile 6.5, which is what most current devices are running, with a touch screen. Windows Mobile 6.1 is run on most devices that do not have a touch screen. But to answer your question, here are some links to screens of the Android App:  http://www.androlib.com/android.screenshot.app.xqnw-znzn.u.aspx 
http://www.androlib.com/android.screenshot.app.xqnw-znzn.u.aspx   
And I managed to find one screen of the iPhone app:  http://images.macworld.com/appguide/images/317/124/492/ss2.jpg
fearbefore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fearbefore
@EvilSpants: The code base isn't exactly new.  Everything in the WinMo 7 (as far as apps go) is done in Silverlight and XNA, which have both been around for a few years now.  I've worked with both, and to my knowledge the multi touch API for the phone is actually usable with Silverlight now on all multi touch computers.  This is without having looked at it mind you, but I can update on Monday.  Most of the folks I work with jumped right into it without an issue, but we all do a ton of work in Silverlight, ASP.NET, and XNA, which all use C# as a backend.  Hopefully I can have a mock up of the app running on Wednesday of next week.
evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilspants
@fearbefore: Well its new in that older Windows Mobile apps and programs will not work with it. And cool that you may have an app running (in theory) by next week for it!
evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By evilspants
@fearbefore: Well its new in that older Windows Mobile apps and programs will not work with it. And cool that you may have an app running (in theory) by next week for it!
fearbefore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fearbefore

Bypassed the Giantbomb app in favor of putting together a game.  Was much more interested in learning more XNA than doing more WPF/Silverlight.  I'll let you all know when I can release any info on the game..

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By evilspants

Sure thing. Sounds like a cool idea none the less.