Help working out some API stuff for my senior project

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

For my senior project I'm putting together a database collecting and tracking the results of Nintendo Power Magazine's Top 30/Top 20 players poll. To save some data entry time, I'm looking to pull some information from the Giant Bomb database - specifically game information, as well as a list of genres, developers, and publishers to provide referential integrity - with genres and companies (developers and publishers) getting their own tables.

How do I just a list of genres from the database using the API?

logikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.giantbomb.com/api/genres/?api_key=[API_KEY]&format=json&field_list=name

This should give you a list of all the genre names. You can do the same for companies.

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By count_zero

Companies is a little trickier - I'm only looking for developers who have developed games for the NES, SNES, or Game Boy (so, for example, I don't want Iron Galaxy, as they're recent enough that they probably don't have any NES games in the list of games they've developed).

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One other question - I'm looking to pull a list of just US region NES games - would I be better off doing the query off of /api/games/ or would it work better to do it as a search?