Import question regarding use of this api in an app.

rvdsoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi

I want to implement this api in my app. The app has a free and pro version. The free version contains ads in some places. I know that you can't use this api for commercial use. So if I implement this api in both the pro and free version and don't show ads while using the api than I am not using it for commercial use right?

best regards,

RVDSoft

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

You're making money from both the free and pro version of the app. That's pretty clearly commercial use in both cases, but if you would like to inquire further, I suggest sending an e-mail to support@giantbomb.com or sending a PM to @rorie.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

rvdsoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rvdsoft

I am very aware of that. But I only make money if a user clicks on an ad and the plan is to not show any ads when the users uses the giantbomb api.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'd suggest you e-mail support@giantbomb.com, but it seems to me like a very tenuous distinction that would still constitute commercial use.

Is a scenario where you see a full page ad prior to seeing data pulled from the API different in any meaningful way from having the ad embedded next to the data? I think most people would say no. If you're making money from the app/website in any capacity, there's really no way you can say that some specific portion of the app or a specific set of pages isn't contributing to your monetary profit. For example, a lot of ad supported free-to-play games display the ads before and/or after the part where you're actively playing but not during - I don't think you could argue that it's those pre/post gameplay screens that you're profiting from and not the gameplay.

Also, totally unrelated but about your company name, RVDSoft:

RVD™ (This thread now meets the Giant Bomb wrestling content quota)
RVD™ (This thread now meets the Giant Bomb wrestling content quota)

rvdsoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 I emailed them and they were fine with it. I described it the same way as I did on this thread. And besides, I barely have any users. What they really don't want is that you use this api for a "pay only" app.

Also I understand your point but I'am barely making anything out of the ads anyway.