iPhone App Project

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By thebeast

Is there anyone interested in working collaboratively on an iPhone Giant Bomb/Whiskey Media Network native app or webapp?

I don't have any experience with Obj-C/Cocoa myself, but I'm sure I could pick it up if no one else has any knowledge in it.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

I wish I could, but like you, I have no experience with programming for the iPhone.

Funnyman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Funnyman22

I'm actually planning to start work on a GB iPhone app today... I already did an app to use with MK vs. DC a while back so I could get a grasp on the language and API's, so hopefully it won't take too long to develop.

What are people looking for in a GB app? In my head, the app is just a query handler so you can search GiantBomb.com for anything the API allows you to, then get the corresponding information page for what you're looking for. The only problem is that, as of yesterday, filters other than "offset" and "limit" weren't implemented, so the app would have to pull the entire DB (i.e. all 9025 characters, but you can only grab 100 at a time, so that's 90 separate XML queries in all) and THEN search/parse through a local XML file... all of which sounded pretty intensive for what should be a pretty simple app.

Other feature ideas?
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thebeast

I imagined it to be a slightly more streamlined way of looking at articles on GB in the same vain as Wikpedia viewers like Wikipanion.

It would probably have:
  • A section with all new articles/reviews from the RSS feed (Probably have to show just the titles and link to the actual site for the content).
  • A 'search' section, like you mention, to search through articles - when filters are implemented this should be easy enough to pull off - I certainly wouldn't want to make any significant amount of requests.

This might make a lot more sense as a webapp seeing as it's going to require internet connectivity to do anything decent anyway, plus we can strip out unneeded content server-side to prevent high data usage (might not be a problem in the US but it is in the UK!).
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

I have no experience in programing for the iPhone, but if I can be of any use you can count on me.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TheAdmin

I don't think you need to make a native app - an iPhone web app would be perfectly suited to take XML data and display it... now if you want to shake your iphone to get a random giantbomb article... yeah, you'd need to make a native one.

Ferg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ferg

I'm working on developing a similar app for Android devices.  I'll keep an eye on thoughts in this thread and integrate those ideas on my end as well.

killerjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By killerjt

The community should focus on making one great app, then porting it to all the platforms; Smart Phones, Wii, PSP, PS3, and other gaming systems that have internet browsers.  I would like the format to be set up like the music player on the iPhone where you have castigators (news, reviews, games, people, cheat, guides, more)  then the user can edit what they wont on the main bar.    I am more interested on finding news on the go and cheat could/ guides while I am playing a game.  It would allso be cool if on the game page there could be a mashup with amizon that would show the price of the games.  I do not know if this would be posible, but to track games, people, and exectrt and then get an alert like email when there is new information for a game or the whike has been updaed.  It could work like an rss feed on other platforems.

Thanks for making this application.

P.S.  Keep the community up to date on the progrees and we will do what we can to help develope and designe the applications.  This is the furcher of the internet.

MCXCI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MCXCI

I'd love to help but I have absolutely no development background or experience. For what it's worth, I fully support the project. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thebeast

I've been working on a very simple article browser webapp for the iPhone - it's coming along nicely, but I'm waiting for filter/search support before I throw anything out that you can all tweak.

It uses the iUI framework, so it is iPhone specific at the moment - I'm hoping the backend design is relatively modular though, so it should be easy enough to use it for a more general 'mobile web' frontend. It's written in ugly PHP - while I hate it, it should be easy enough to deploy anywhere it needs to be, and easy enough to pick up and understand.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snail
TheBeast said:
"I've been working on a very simple article browser webapp for the iPhone - it's coming along nicely, but I'm waiting for filter/search support before I throw anything out that you can all tweak.
It uses the iUI framework, so it is iPhone specific at the moment - I'm hoping the backend design is relatively modular though, so it should be easy enough to use it for a more general 'mobile web' frontend. It's written in ugly PHP - while I hate it, it should be easy enough to deploy anywhere it needs to be, and easy enough to pick up and understand.
"
This is great! I can't wait, keep at it dude!
Gugi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Gugi9000

Hi. I would love to assist you with the app.

I have a 2nd gen. iPod touch and 1st gen. iPhone and the development kit, of course.
I could probably persuade some collegues to let me test on their 3G phones and the 1st gen pod.

As for coding - I've been meanning to have a go at it, but I never worked with the Apple tools before, so bear with me :-)

EDIT:
As for pitcing ideas.Future plans might include playback og the awesome video features.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Snail

How's the app coming along?

mancide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mancide

I was wondering myself if anyone was doing anything for GB on the iPhone. If you need testers, I'll throw my hat in the ring to try it out on my phone.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thebeast

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to do much with it at the moment - been caught up with work and the like.
I'll hopefully be able to get something out soon so you guys can all add to it/play with it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail

Can't wait.
Keep us posted!

mancide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mancide
TheBeast said:
"To be honest, I haven't had a chance to do much with it at the moment - been caught up with work and the like.
I'll hopefully be able to get something out soon so you guys can all add to it/play with it.
"
I don't know what kind of look you are going for. But I think something similar to what the Boy Genius Report app does for news might be a good start.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

Was this thing ever finished?

jon93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By jon93
@natetodamax: Well obviously now there is no need for it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By natetodamax
@Jon93 said:
" @natetodamax: Well obviously now there is no need for it. "
True, but I made that post over a month ago.