Random page

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

Edited By LordAndrew
You asked for it, and I delivered. This script will send you to a randomly selected wiki page on Giant Bomb. It uses the API to determine the range of page IDs to chose from, and to test whether the selected ID exists. It shouldn't lead you to a page that doesn't exist, although I haven't fully tested that. I plan to add support for other page types, as well as for Comic Vine. Anime Vice has no API, and Tested doesn't have an API or a wiki, so support for those sites is not planned.

If you would like to try it out for yourself, download it from Launchpad and put it on your web server. Yes, you need a web server and PHP. Currently it runs on my private testing server, and you can do the same; but I'd really appreciate it if someone would put it on a publicly accessible server so others can use it. If you get it running, please tell me so I can post the link here for others to use. 

So head on over to the project page on Launchpad and download it if you can. You can get the development version through Bazaar if you know how, but it may actually be easier just to download each of the files individually from here. After downloading you'll need to add a file with your API key. If you're familiar with PHP you can probably figure out what to do despite the lack of any decent documentation in the script. If you need help, contact me. If you know exactly what you're doing and want to improve the script or its crappy documentation, also contact me. I will gladly commit any improvements under the assumption that you're probably a better a better programmer than I am.

If you get it running, need help getting it running, want to contribute to development, or just want to chat, just send me a message. I'll try to respond in whatever manner is appropriate. 

Come get some!

r.gamersfeed.com - hosted by Freek. Loads the page in an iframe, so you can easily grab another random page.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LordAndrew
You asked for it, and I delivered. This script will send you to a randomly selected wiki page on Giant Bomb. It uses the API to determine the range of page IDs to chose from, and to test whether the selected ID exists. It shouldn't lead you to a page that doesn't exist, although I haven't fully tested that. I plan to add support for other page types, as well as for Comic Vine. Anime Vice has no API, and Tested doesn't have an API or a wiki, so support for those sites is not planned.

If you would like to try it out for yourself, download it from Launchpad and put it on your web server. Yes, you need a web server and PHP. Currently it runs on my private testing server, and you can do the same; but I'd really appreciate it if someone would put it on a publicly accessible server so others can use it. If you get it running, please tell me so I can post the link here for others to use. 

So head on over to the project page on Launchpad and download it if you can. You can get the development version through Bazaar if you know how, but it may actually be easier just to download each of the files individually from here. After downloading you'll need to add a file with your API key. If you're familiar with PHP you can probably figure out what to do despite the lack of any decent documentation in the script. If you need help, contact me. If you know exactly what you're doing and want to improve the script or its crappy documentation, also contact me. I will gladly commit any improvements under the assumption that you're probably a better a better programmer than I am.

If you get it running, need help getting it running, want to contribute to development, or just want to chat, just send me a message. I'll try to respond in whatever manner is appropriate. 

Come get some!

r.gamersfeed.com - hosted by Freek. Loads the page in an iframe, so you can easily grab another random page.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

why are you not a moderator? i mean seriously. great work though i can't test this out. 

Washclof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Washclof
@LordAndrew:  

Awesome work! 

I put it for you:  http://r.gamersfeed.com/

Hope you don't mind, I added an small iFrame so it is easier to keep hitting different random pages without having to hit the back button and what not. Doesn't look the best, but I will clean it up a little later.

Again, great job.

Freek
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
@Freek: I don't mind, that's pretty good. I always found myself going back to the parent directory and clicking on random.php again, so this definitely makes things easier. :)
Thanks for the link; I'll add it to my post. 
Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Chuggsy

This is an awesome idea, I just wish I had the patience/know-how to get it working. I can only hope this leads to an actual random page feature being implemented for everybody.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

This is great! Tons of games I've never seen before and it also makes for a good way to find empty pages to fill up. Good stuff.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm assuming that it currently only does Game pages, right? Because that's all that I've found using it.

Either way, it's awesome. Great work dude.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
@MattyFTM: Yes, it only does game pages right now. I plan to add support for other types of pages, and also allow the user to indicate in the query string what type of page they want to get. When that happens, I'll be sure to announce it and document how to make use of those advanced features.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Binman88
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

If we needed another mod. It'll definitely be you next time. 

Good stuff mate. Hopefully this would encourage people to use the wiki more if they ever come across a page that they like.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Coombs

That's pretty awesome.

The official Wikid Task Queue   is also a good place to find pages that need editing,
It also gives bonus Wiki points for doing the assigned tasks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

A new version of whiskey-random is now available. This new version now supports a variety of page types. Details can be found in the announcement on Launchpad. I'll contact Freek and ask him to update his version. 

The new version also has partial support Comic Vine, but only if a Comic Vine API key has been specified. I plan to modify it to accept two keys so it works for both sites at the same time.

Washclof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Washclof

I should be able to update my site tonight, if not tommorow (working today). 

I will give an update when it done. 

Washclof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Washclof
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

Nice feature. I just used it to set a couple of wiki tasks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
@Freek: Link has been updated. Thanks again for being awesome and hosting this for me.

@mracoon: Sweet. Glad to see it's being put to good use. :)
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew

v0.2.0, which has support for Comic Vine, is now available. Minor release v0.1.1 is also available. Tarballs for both versions can be downloaded from Launchpad.

Frozen_Ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Frozen_Ice
@LordAndrew: I don't get it. How do I use it? I have Google Chrome, will it work with that? I downloaded it, but it's just a bunch of text files.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAndrew
@Frozen_Ice: It's written in PHP. So you need PHP and a web server to run it. If you can't or won't do that, Freek is currently hosting it here. I might make a JavaScript-based version sometime so people don't have to set up their own server or rely on someone else's, but first I have plans for a rewrite of the existing program.
Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By Jayzz
@LordAndrew: thought I'd up this because it's so awesome.. been looking for a random page button!
DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By DMack

Well! It would have been handy if I'd noticed this before I got to work on this thing, (which grabs a random character name and is also PHP based).

lol, oh well. I wound up doing the exact same thing, but less elegantly!

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

So I noticed this no longer works. Is there an alternative that I am missing?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordAndrew

@bobafettjm: Probably just needs a new host. I'll look into it.