Search By Game Name Problem

jastarling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jastarling

When I perform a search for the NES version of "The Legend of Zelda" using this:

http://api.giantbomb.com/search/?api_key=<KEY>&query=The Legend of Zelda&field_list=name,id,api_detail_url&format=xml

I don't get any results. If I change the criteria to "Legend of Zelda", I get 19 results. 

I get similar results when searching for "The Legend of Kage". I can change it to "Legend of Kage" and I get two results, with the sequel being the first result.

What gives? How I can search to get the exact game that I am looking for?

andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By andy

This is a bug.  I'll get a fix up shortly.

DarthGibblet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DarthGibblet

Has there been any update on this bug? I'm running into the same problem. I'm also seeing similar behavior with other filler words (specifically, "with"). Any advice? Thanks in advance.

ConanThe3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By ConanThe3rd

Seconding here, I'm trying to find Final Fantasy games for a project I'm doing and somehow I'm geting Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf (and 100 other games that are not final fantasy 1) as a responce.

I'm even using the Franchies critiera to filter out the non FF games to no joy whatsoever

Here's my URL:  
http://api.giantbomb.com/games/?api_key=[key]&franchies=Final Fantasy&name=Final Fantasy 1&format=xml

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew
@ConanThe3rd: The previously mentioned issue involves stopwords like "the" and "with". Yours sound completely unrelated and should be given its own topic.
andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By andy
@ConanThe3rd: If you want to search, then use the Search resource:   http://api.giantbomb.com/documentation/#search
andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By andy
@DarthGibblet: Hrm, I just searched for "the legend of zelda" using the API and got back a number of Zelda games.  Can you provide a specific example of what you're seeing and what you're expecting?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
@andy said:
" @DarthGibblet: Hrm, I just searched for "the legend of zelda" using the API and got back a number of Zelda games.  Can you provide a specific example of what you're seeing and what you're expecting? "
Try "The Legend of Zelda", with an initial cap on "The". It behaves completely differently depending on the capitalization, and neither behaviors are the desired behavior.
DarthGibblet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarthGibblet

@andy: Yeah, I'm getting the same behavior as @LordAndrew (at least for upper-cased padding words. Lower case ones seem to work fine). Here's the full URLs I'm using to recreate this issue (I was actually testing with the Zelda games :F): 

"Legend of Zelda" (expected results): 
http://api.giantbomb.com/search/?api_key=[key]&query=Legend%20of%20Zelda&resources=game&field_list=name,original_release_date,image,api_detail_url,id&offset=0&format=xml

"the Legend of Zelda" (expected results): 
 http://api.giantbomb.com/search/?api_key=[key]=the%20Legend%20of%20Zelda&resources=game&field_list=name,original_release_date,image,api_detail_url,id&offset=0&format=xml

"The Legend of Zelda (no results): 
http://api.giantbomb.com/search/?api_key=[key]&query=The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda&resources=game&field_list=name,original_release_date,image,api_detail_url,id&offset=0&format=xml

I've gotten similar results with "The World Ends with You" regarding both "The" and "With" (again, only if they're capitalized). I'm fine stripping out the filler words on my own and just searching for the title without them, but is there a full list somewhere of words that will be effected like this? 

*edit - fixed a typo

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
@DarthGibblet: There isn't a full list, but I've been thinking of making one. Of course, if it actually gets fixed then I don't need to worry about that. :)
andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By andy
@DarthGibblet: Wow, lame.  Not sure why I didn't catch this before.  Anyway, it's fixed now.
DarthGibblet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthGibblet

Awesome, it seems to be working now. Thanks for the help!

Daracon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daracon

There is a problem to search games with special characters like "Brütal Legend". Even the site search does not find the game, only if you search for "br".

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ignor
@Daracon said:
"  There is a problem to search games with special characters like "Brütal Legend". Even the site search does not find the game, only if you search for "br". "
Just use the regular "U". That should work.
Daracon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daracon
@Ignor said: 
Just use the regular "U". That should work. "
 That works, thanks!