Way to tell if game has a physical version?

tckelly38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want to create a query where I can list all games in the database, but only if they have a physical version or went to retail. Combing through the api didn't really show any fields related to a "retail release" so I was wondering if anyone has tried this before or could comment on way to get around this?

Thanks for any guidance

tckelly38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tckelly38

HMMM, maybe if I only extract games that have a rating(ESRB)? I'm assuming I could at least limit my results by quite a bit since most(All?) retail games have a rating.

Also this is assuming original_game_rating is what i think it is

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

There's no way to distinguish between physical and digital when you create a new release, and some digital releases also have ratings associated with them (most GOG releases do at least), so I don't believe there's any way to do this right now.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tckelly38:ESBR rating is required for all console games release in the US, so many download only games have them.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't really think there is any reliable way to do that for the current generation. For last gen, retail and download had separate platforms (like PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Network (PS3)) but Jeff didn't like that distinction and made away with it for the current consoles. Occasionally wiki editor will add something like (Retail release) at the end of a release title in an attempt to compensate for that, so you could catch some titles that way, but it is in no way a consistent or reliable criteria.

tckelly38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklagoon@fisk0 thanks for the input guys, I might try and hit up another api(maybe amazon?) to perform this task and then cross reference that data with giantbombs