#1 Posted by naiyt (2 posts) -

I've been playing around with the Giant Bomb API, but now it seems to think I'm an evil robot. I now get hit with this message and a captcha every time I hit the home page (which also prevents me from using the API): "Are you a Human? We have detected a history of abnormal traffic from your network so we ask that you please complete the following form to confirm that you are not a robot and are indeed a real person."

I've been staying under the 200 requests per hour limit as far as I can tell (and even added rate limiting to the giant_bomb_api gem to ensure that).

Did I do something else bad? Maybe I need to ratelimit even less than 200 requests per hour? I was giving it an average of about 15 - 18 seconds between requests to stay under that limit (and looks like it started happening after 112 requests in a one hour time frame).

Also, will I stop getting the captcha at some point? Right now I can't use the API at all because of that.

Thanks!

#2 Edited by webertk421 (2 posts) -

The new Apple TV update seems to have gotten me into this situation as well.

#3 Posted by Spencer (334 posts) -

@webertk421: I used the new Apple TV update yesterday for the first time. Today I got this error page. I wonder if the two are related...?

#4 Posted by webertk421 (2 posts) -

@spencer: Yeah, definitely. Check out this thread: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ios-app-giant-bomb-video-buddy-545452/?page=10

#5 Posted by Zaph (309 posts) -

Yup, I'm having the same problem (@wcarle)

Connection log of my bot's 24 hours prior to a ban http://paste.ubuntu.com/25465253/ (ban begins line #3212). It seems to be within the rules - no more than 200 requests per hour or 1 per second. I average out under 3 requests per minute.

The only thing I can think of is the XML feed is more trigger happy than the API? Of those 3 requests, one is to the mashup feed.