What's the problem not having a Giant Bomb subscription plan?

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nintendude

EDIT: Or having a merchandise shop.

For some odd reason, I still have that GameSpot subscription going.
 -  I lost interest in their weekly show since they switched the format to daily. 
 -  I lost interest in their emblem system because I wasn't able to use the site for months they way I used to do. 
 -  They lost all of their best editors I still saw on their videos a year ago.
 -  The live shows with chat went from frequent to quite non-existant. 
 + When I end up on the site every now and then I save time not trying to watch a video with twice as long ad reel or see some huge background advertisement.
 + Games on your lists can be rated.

If Giant Bomb would have subscription I would just cancel GS in an instant and switch fully to GiantBomb, I've used this site so much more during the last few weeks.

Only things tying me to GS is actually the list of games I own which is way too long to import here before I'm fully switching.

I would subscribe even without any additional features, just some subscriber mark under my username would be enough. I wouldn't even care to get rid of those ads since they are so subtle and actually most of them are quite funny. One really cool thing Giant Bomb editors could do is make a weekly live Quick Look, could be quite breeze in editor department since they have done tons of live stuff before.

I know I could just go clicking those ads every day to make the same effect to the company really but that's something even I'm not gonna do. Accepting support donations from fans would be much better or get some some Giant Bomb merchandise out there.

To sum this up: 
Yo guys over there at Giant Bomb! Make the damn subscription plan, I'm not expecting anything in return so take your time with the extra content. I'm 100% sure that I'm not gonna enable that GameSpot ad-fest before you get something I can switch to.

(Repost of my reply to a topic at General Discussion since I believe this could be considered as a suggestion forum. At least couldn't see any sticky claiming otherwise.)

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nintendude
@dcpc10:  Did you even fully read my post. Your reply seems to be targeted just to the first half...
My idea was to just to have some way to support the site, subscription with minimal to none extra content being one way to do it.
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By therabidfrog

I know I wouldn't subscribe unless I had a really good reason to, and I don't consider avoiding ads a good reason.

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nintendude
@therabidfrog:  I know there are more people who would. Bigger budget can't harm such a good site to accomplish even bigger and better things.

I think selling some merchandise would be the more popular option if you compare the two.
mp5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mp5
@Nintendude said:
" Did you even fully read my post? My idea was to just to have some way to support the site, subscription with minimal to none extra content being one way to do it. "
I imagine most people's asses would be pretty chapped if they were asked to pay subscription fees for "minimal to none extra content"? Which content becomes subscription only? The Quick Looks? The Bombcast?

I believe they have mentioned users asking them for ways to support the site monetarily and have said "naw dudes we're cool" in the past, but if you want to give them some money why not buy a Space Lobsters T-shirt? You could buy one once every month and it would be just like a subscription with no extra content.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Huh...  why do you WANT a subscription  fee...?  They've said multiple times they're completely fine financial wise.  I don't get why anyone would enjoy a site more if they had to pay for it.  Live quicklooks wouldn't be much different than the regular ones, since I don't think they really edit anything out of them. 

Edit:  That said, I wish they did make more merchandise than they do.  Someone suggested a Luchadeer plushie, which I would insta-buy.  The model of it he showed was cute as hell.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By emkeighcameron

Subscriptions are a bad idea right now.

All the stuff they've been giving away for free up to this point would have to remain free. I don't even know what else they could "add" to justify the subscriptions.

Maybe if Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny/Dave all came to my house once a month and partied down.......that would make me pay, yes.

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nintendude
@xobballox:  Actually I just tried to think up something they could give to the subscribers without taking anything away from rest of the users.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Nintendude said:
" @xobballox:  Actually I just tried to think up something they could give to the subscribers without taking anything away from rest of the users. "
I just don't know why you seem to want a subscription fee so badly, if you really don't care that they don't give extra content (you said this multiple times in your first point).  I don't see what more they could have time to do to offer to subscribers.  They are completely against charges for content on their website as well.  They even make sure to keep ads to a minimum.

More merchandise is a good idea though.  Their merchandise sells out very fast, I was going to get an Oscar Mike t-shirt but they sold out before I could even get the time to go order one.  I would definitely buy T-shirts and other trinkets and such.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

If you want to support Giant Bomb financially you can buy stuff from the store or purchase the iPhone app. 
You know what features I'd love to see added to Giant Bomb? All the stuff that used to be here but was stripped away for no good reason. Please don't encourage them to limit the site's feature set any more than they've already been doing.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By The_Philosopher
@LordAndrew: 
What stuff did they strip away?
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Dogma
@LordAndrew: What are you talking about? What has been stripped away? Do you mean features like TANG or the Endurence Run? Feutures come and go is my opinion. And we do see them experiment like they did with MAG and Star Trek Online.
Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nintendude
@LordAndrew: Thanks for the link to the shop, I'll be getting that lobster shirt for sure when they have enough stock so a normal person will be able to grab one before a sell-out. I'll be getting an android phone when new models of HTC will be released so no need for that particular app, nice to know there is one though so I can suggest it to couple of my friends. 

I also agree that they should add back the removed stuff (didn't know they have such footage). I haven't yet seen all of the most early work and looks like I can't if the stuff won't be resurrected.