PS4 Performance is Terrible

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

So I just picked up this game about 3 hours ago for Playstation 4 and been playing for the better part of the past two hours and am just wondering if it's me or this game is almost unplayable? Apart from the hundreds of glitches I've already encountered and dismissed as "AC glitches" (wall/stair clipping + running through people + scripted events not working out well with some NPCs being stuck in loops) I'm also experiencing the worst framerate I've gotten from an Assassin's Creed game.

I'm talking way below 30fps, anything that involves me taking cover reduces my framerate drastically to unplayable levels. The game looks absolutely fantastic with the tiles shining, flags moving with the wind, fire/smoke being my personal favourites "next-gen" moments. But what's the point of having all that if whenever you have too much activity (or too much greenery I found) the game slows down like crazy. Game came with a ~850MB Day One patch that only makes me imagine what the game must have been like before.

I'm pretty disappointed, I love where this is going in terms of story-telling so I'll stick with it for now but will probably be returning it to GameStop for Dragon Age/FarCry4/GTAV next week. Hoping a last minute patch resolves some of the issues to convince me to keep the game.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By doctordonkey

This sounds like AC3 all over again. That game ran similarly to what you have just described. We talking framerates in the low 20's, here? AC3 got down to 18 at many points.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People bemoaning the PC version of the game spoke too soon, it might end up being the most stable of the 3. Yikes

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That makes me feel a bit better about not getting it, but it sucks that games are already running at unstable framerates this early into the generation. I really hope this is an optimisation issue and not that the tech is too intensive for the current consoles.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@doctordonkey: It was around low 20s yes.

I've restarted the PS4 since and the frame rate has "stabilized" at a visible 30fps. It holds up but after getting used to smooth frame rates it's such a pain to look at -.-

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna say more than one AC game have had the issue of framerate getting worse over long playthroughs. I dont know if that's a cache-ing issue or what but I experienced it in Black Flag and 3

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I saw some of that AC Rogue leaked footage earlier, and that game looked real rough performance-wise. I thought Unity would've been better. Maybe Ubisoft is having problems keeping up the quality.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll probably be fine on the Xbox 1, since they got a deal with Ubisoft for no.1 version.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep, saw it on Xbox at PAX to and it was pretty pitiful on there as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks like every version of this game is garbage and I might just have to wait till my next major computor upgrade (probably 2-3 years) to play it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played up until after the escape without the patch and it was ok. So far with the patch, no problems either. Load times are a bit long, though.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@mcfart said:

It'll probably be fine on the Xbox 1, since they got a deal with Ubisoft for no.1 version.

Considering that Sony had the deals on the older games and the PS3 had the weaker performance I wouldn't bet on it.

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Czarpyotr

Just picked it up at midnight and was wondering the same thing. I immediately thought it played and looked like garbage. Is it just me or is this absolutely nothing like what they showed at E3? Big time disappointment. Especially after playing sunset overdrive and having that run so smoothly. Can only hope that Dragon Age and Far Cry live up to their hype cause I'm taking this shit back in tomorrow to try and get a refund.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mcfart

@sethphotopoulos said:

@mcfart said:

Considering that Sony had the deals on the older games and the PS3 had the weaker performance I wouldn't bet on it.

That's because Sony paid money to Ubisoft but barely had a working devkit for the PS3. Ubisoft simply took advantage of Sony's stupidity and took their money.

I'm sure MS are leveraging their investment in AC4. I'd be shocked if the XB1 version runs poorly. It will probably look better AND run better then the PC/PS4 versions.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a memoryleak from a game engine so young it doesn't know how to crawl. They showed freaking renders for E3 etc. One-frame-per-many-minutes rendered material. I believe it's not the first time Ubi does that.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

megamanslazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By megamanslazar

As someone with the Xbox One version, it definitely runs poorly. I'd gladly flip a switch to get it to run in 720p to get a more consistent framerate.

It's one of the best-looking games I've seen if that's any consolation, though.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@mcfart said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@mcfart said:

That's because Sony paid money to Ubisoft but barely had a working devkit for the PS3. Ubisoft simply took advantage of Sony's stupidity and took their money.

I'm sure MS are leveraging their investment in AC4. I'd be shocked if the XB1 version runs poorly. It will probably look better AND run better then the PC/PS4 versions.

I'd be shocked if what you're saying is true considering that statement they released about how both console versions are locked at the same specs. They would have to intentionally gimp the other versions of the game and that'd be a poor business decision even if Microsoft was paying them to fuck up.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wanted to create a topic about how the game appears (in the recent gameplay videos) to lack polish with regards to the parkour and combat, but I didn't want to jump the gun, especially since most games nowadays come with a sizeable day one patch. I'm disappointed to hear that it runs even worse than I thought.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to create a topic about how the game appears (in the recent gameplay videos) to lack polish with regards to the parkour and combat, but I didn't want to jump the gun, especially since most games nowadays come with a sizeable day one patch. I'm disappointed to hear that it runs even worse than I thought.

Game's not out of embargo until 9AM today, so there's still time for a 10GB patch.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@korwin said:

This is wishful thinking of the highest order.

But you have to use UPlay, you know, UPlay, the service that says it has cloud saves but doesn't actually upload any of them to the cloud...

I found that out in the hard way when I returned to Blacklist earlier this year. -_-

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

This is wishful thinking of the highest order.

But you have to use UPlay, you know, UPlay, the service that says it has cloud saves but doesn't actually upload any of them to the cloud...

I found that out in the hard way when I returned to Blacklist earlier this year. -_-

:D :D :D

Uplay means your saves literally go into the clouds, never to be seen again :)

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AMyggen
No Caption Provided

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dark
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@amyggen: It's not pop in... it's just a glitch in the Animus.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

After needing to drop down the resolution to 900p, was there any doubt of incompetent fools making this game? One look at Second Son or First Light makes Ubisoft look like total chumps.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen:

New engine, made from the ground up EXCLUSIVELY for the current gen systems guys! If what OP talks about is a consistent experience on the platform, then this is just embarrassing for Ubisoft.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

Convenient embargoes huh?

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saw 1-2 youtube videos on 1080p 60 and man. that looked ROOOUUUGH.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Be curious to hear what Alex's experience has been like on today's Bombin the AM. I wasn't planning on getting this game anyway, but still... what a shit show.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Its kinda sad this is getting me a little giddy. Probably shouldn't have split resources to make 2 separate game Ubi

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Humanity

This is all a real bummer as I was actually really excited to play what I assumed was going to be the first real "next gen" experience.

Well at least Dragon Age is getting stellar reviews. I guess.. just gotta wait another week..

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a massive bummer. I've been so excited for this game, it takes place during one of my favourite periods of history and from how they were talking it seemed like they were finally learning from their mistakes.

bugbarbecue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bugbarbecue

Surely this is likely to be due to the playstation 2.0 update that has borked the performance of a lot of games recently no?

One of the reviews of Dragon Age I read earlier mentioned a similar problem but then added that they were sent a ps4 with the patch for the broken patch already installed on it and all the crashing and chugging stopped.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish all devs would prioritize good performance over graphics.

It's really cool to have games across multiple platforms, but as expensive and complicated games are to develop these days, I wonder if the need to port to 3 or 4 platforms actually means that every console version will be worst then it could be had the development team focused on one platform.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@rafaelfc said:

I wonder if the need to port to 3 or 4 platforms actually means that every console version will be worst then it could be had the development team focused on one platform.

There's countless examples of ports that are more or less equal on different platforms. The general trend is PS3 and 360 were mostly equal (towards the end of the cycle) and then PC beat them both out.

That's the same as now, except PS4 is sometimes running at a higher resolution. This is a Ubisoft problem, I would advise people to remember how shitty Assassin's Creed 1 was on PS3, it had terrible framerate problems, I remember returning my copy because it was so bad.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A shame, but probably one that won't end up being too big a deal for me personally.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least people now have an alternative in Shadow of Mordor, which hopefully could get some extra wind in its sails if Unity turns out to be shitty.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This is really bumming me out.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

What a shame, especially as I felt Black Flag was getting the franchise back on track again. Explains why review dates were so late, makes a lot of sense now.

Still, as someone who adored this franchise it's a bummer to see Ubisoft screwing it up.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Samaritan

Found this spectacular demonstration of the pop-in issues in this game from a thread on GAF. Absolutely unbelievable.

Loading Video...

It's hard to pick a favorite moment from this video, but I think mine has to be at around the 0:11 mark. Keep your eye on the top right of the screen and watch the lady walking away from the player, next to the overturned wagon.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a shame, especially as I felt Black Flag was getting the franchise back on track again. Explains why review dates were so late, makes a lot of sense now.

Still, as someone who adored this franchise it's a bummer to see Ubisoft screwing it up.

Ubisoft deserve to be chastised for this obvious anti-consumer embargo!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Kinda had a sneaking feeling this game would be garbage. Glad I wasn't interested to begin with. Guess we also know why they took it down to 900p I wonder if they just had a ton of trouble optimizing the game?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Samaritan

@privodotmenit said:

@machofantastico said:

While the embargo timing is extremely suspect, I have this lingering feeling that when reviews hit, the majority of them won't be nearly as critical of these glaring technical and optimization issues as they probably should be. I really hope to be proven wrong later this morning, though.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@privodotmenit said:

@machofantastico said:

While the embargo timing is extremely suspect, I have this lingering feeling that when reviews hit, the majority of them won't be nearly as critical of these glaring technical and optimization issues as they probably should be. I really hope to be proven wrong later this morning, though.

I think you are right but considering all the glitches that people are reporting I'm not sure how people are gonna feel about spending 15+ hours with this game while it's also running at 20 fps, that can get annoying really fast.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Corevi

@captain_felafel: Jesus christ that framerate, I got slightly nauseous just from watching that. It doesn't even look that good either. It's muddy, low poly and other than Arno's outfit all the textures are shit.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Samaritan

@corevi said:

@captain_felafel: Jesus christ that framerate, I got slightly nauseous just from watching that. It doesn't even look the good either. It's muddy, low poly and other than Arno's outfit all the textures are shit

And that's the PS4 version too. When I saw the Xbox One version, it looked even muddier somehow. Like, legitimately blurry.