Assassin's Creed Movie Trailer Debuts; Everyone Else Tells Me It's Bad?

• 133 results
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'll be the first to admit that I fully expected this movie to be a complete garbology (and watch it anyways, I mean I saw the Prince of Persia one). A few observations:

• This movie's "Desmond" is an ex-prisoner sentenced to capital punishment. How much you wanna bet it was something semi-understandable and not just absolutely heinous?
  • Unless they're showing shit out of sequence, why the fuck would they put the wrist-blades on him before he enters the Animus?
  • It looks like this version of the Animus has some sort of VR component where the subject's body is actually simulating the movements while suspended?
  • Plenty of out-of-Animus action. I wonder if they're gonna get into modern-day Assassin v Templar shit. Maybe save it for the after credits stinger?
  • Yo parkour and dope-ass assassin fighting and that lady assassin looks fucking badass.
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I mean I was gonna watch this movie anyways, but now I actually am really excited to.

EDIT: Ok watching it again I'm 90% certain they slap the wrist-blades on him after his first dip into the Animus.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ivdamke

Honestly, after seeing all the fantastic CG trailers for the AC games this trailer looks like ass. Music choice was pretty ass too comparatively to the game trailers. I understand there's more emphasis on trying to give a brief intro to what the story is all about with film trailers but I think it even fails at that.

My view on AC games have become more and more negative as the franchise aged, but the trailers have always been fantastic.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dunno. Every actor in the trailer looked fucking bored.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

idk i think it looked pretty bad

it's weird that there's just a straight up ubisoft logo at the start of the trailer

also it's weird that there won't be a game release with this movie

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Neener neener you can't deter my optimism!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict 30% rotten tomatoes score.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai

That's because they are.

matthewgm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's what I can say in favor: they are not shying away from the core of the series: Abstergo, the Animus, Assassins (and presumably Templars). All of the basic elements of AC are there and recognizable, which is better than most game adaptations. I'm a little surprised they didn't tease the modern day elements out, like the original game did. It's just straight up sci-fi from the get-go.

That said, a large part of what I get out of AC is that feeling of diving into a world and being immersed in it - I don't think they can convey that in 20 minute chunks of cinema (we'll probably get a few cuts back and forth), but I'd like to be proven wrong.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By petethepanda

Hard to say based on the trailer. If the direction/editing has a distinctive style to it, it isn't coming through, but that's certainly not unheard of with trailers. Still hopeful, though, particularly since it's keeping the framework of the franchise and doing a new story with it instead of trying to awkwardly fit in an existing story that was never built for the medium.

I would be pumped as hell if this winds up being gaming's "X-Men."

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks like a fun little Assassin's Creed spin-off.

But yeah, seeing the Ubisoft logo, Abstergo logo, and the Assassin's Creed logo, in a trailer for a movie starring Fassbender, Cotillard, and motherfuckin Jeremy Irons, is pretty weird.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neener neener you can't deter my optimism!

Not only this community will deter it. It will take it out to the center square and publicly execute it.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that's an alright trailer as trailers go. There's some decent pedigree behind this film so I'm cautiously optimistic.

darknovember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been eager for this first trailer to drop. It was kind of a bummer to hear GBEast's skepticism on one of the recent Beastcasts ("Fassbender looking 'bored as hell',") given that director Justin Kurzel has yet to make a "bad" film. Sure, he only has two movies under his belt, but he was able to avoid the Sophomore Slump after The Snowtown Murders with the recently-released Macbeth. Not that he is incapable of fucking this up, but he's on a roll. Cinematographer Adam Arkapaw is a young, world-class talent IMO. Fassbender is a producer on the movie, and from everything I've read, he truly sounds committed and focused on delivering a quality experience. Kurzel, Arkapaw, Fassbender and Marion Cotillard all collaborated on Macbeth and were praised for their work. The quality of talent attached to this thing is really exciting and gives me a lot of hope that it can rise above the "video game movie" trappings.

Plus, Jeremy Irons!

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShadyPingu

I'm torn. The core premise of AC has always had potential, that the games have gradually squandered. Nothing says a film couldn't do better, but the history of video game adaptations is littered with the corpses of projects that "had potential." Naturally, I hope it's good, but this trailer doesn't do much to sway me in either direction.

roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like somewhere in development, someone listed out the things they liked about the first and second games, and then tried to find a location/time period that combined them, and the Spanish Inquisition was as close as they could get.

Also, the leap of faith looks way stupider off a real building than it does in the games.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It certainly looks like Assassin's Creed.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looks promising to me (though, rather forgettable). I know that Fassbender has been adamant for years about making a good Assassin's Creed film, so I hope it is good even if just for him. That said, they should really have got the official Assassin's Creed team to edit the trailer - they make such masterful trailers with surprising gems of songs - as this looks like a poor fan-idea compared to the game announcement trailers.

Still, I can't actually believe this is going to happen.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By DinosaurCanada

A tanning bed was too complicated for film audiences, no make it a giant claw

I might see this, seems like it could be beautiful with great stunts

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I thought Prince of Persia was alright. I keep my expectations low and these movies seem harmless.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The song doesn't fit and the trailer itself is bad but looking at the individual bits of the movie it looks like there's a lot of production value and skill being put in although the funky animus rig kind of comes off as one of those silly hollywood changes...

Still too soon to say either way if it'll be a good movie but we already know with certainty that this isn't the breakout hit that starts a flood of videogame movies because this thing is not going to make any money with Rogue One eating it's lunch.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hard to say what it's going to be like. At least it seems fairly fateful and close to the source material. That song was not the right pick though.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RonGalaxy

This looks fucking dumb, but if the action is good I might be able to get behind it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It seems like it won't be the worst thing ever made. That's about as much as I can give this trailer.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

actually, I'm more concerned with 20th Century Fox then anything else. Fox has had a LONG and I mean LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG History of meddling with films that don't have a good executive producer. For example, there was originally an idea for Independance Day 2, but the contracts with Emmerich and Devlin was so bad they ran off to Sony to make Godzilla. Of course the FABULOUS 2004 year where they released iRobot and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which actually ruined two directors careers in less then a few months. You need like a good producer to come in and protect the creators from not being chewed up by the machine, the director League was Blade 1. Recently the scared away Channing Tatum from a Gambit roll in Xmen part 8, how do you fuck that up?

Meh, it looks no different then Prince of Persia and even I didn't see it but it's considered the better of the video game adaptations.... I don't think it's that bad.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Loading Video...

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The action scenes seem kind of fun to watch. I like watching people stab other people and also jump off of things.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@dinosaurcanada: It looks to me they make it a giant claw so that his present body actually does the stuff he does in his ancestors memory. That way it makes more sense that he picks up on the moves and such in present time.

Looks to be a decent action flick at least. Even though the trailer was a poorly made imitation of the usually great game trailers.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I don't think that looked too bad at all. It wasn't great, but I sure as hell wouldn't call it bad. Aside from the out of place music, my only real gripe is the slow mo at 1:35 which seemed completely and utterly pointless. After shit like Paul Walker running along the outside of a bus as it's sliding off a cliff and then proceeding to jump and grab onto the spoiler of a drifting car (there are arguably better examples I could've used there, but it was one of the first to come to mind), I don't think you get to use slow-mo for a simple "look at these cool action guys jumping from one static object to another that's not even that far apart" shot. That just tells me to expect a ton of pointless, overused slow-mo.

In any case, I couldn't give a flying fuck about the franchise, yet I'm still cautiously optimistic about this movie.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I hope this movie is at least OK.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, looks like shit....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time a game-based movie comes about, I hope--I always hope--it turns out good.

Please, god. Let this shit be good. Let Warcraft be good. Tell the mass audiences that my games are not that fucking stupid.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Deadpool has forever ruined three-point landings for me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The music kinda ruins the trailer so it's hard to say, but it doesn't really show much other than what you'd expect from assassins creed. I think this would have been real cool like 6 or 7 years ago , but AC has gotten so cartoony and ridiculous this self serious tone doesn't seem to fit well anymore.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Honestly this seemed okay. Much more entertaining than that Warcraft trailer.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of anything that resemebles The Matrix so sure i'll give this a shot.

The trailer was garbage though.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Macbeth-adaptation Kurzel made with Fassbender last year looked incredible so I'm very optimistic about this.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ripelivejam

I liked the first silent hill movie so i guess that says something about my tolerance for these.

Have a feeling the warcraft one will end up better received based on duncan jones alone.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Eh, I don't know. I thought it was okay. The fight scenes seem fine and well-choreographed enough. What is up with that trailer music though; that thing is garbage.

I'll probably check it out when it comes out, but it didn't make me excited or anything. Just curiosity. A small part of me does hope it'll actually be a decent film.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I thought that looked pretty sweet. But I also liked the Prince of Persia movie as well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#41  Edited By Humanity

Parts of it made me smile because it's like hey, here is that thing I do in a videogame but on the big screen. Other parts of it looked pretty bad in the usual way movie adaptations are bad.

1. Like others have mentioned: why this unnecessary contraption? Inception barely shows the "machine" that puts the characters to sleep, they don't linger on the tech because it's not important in the grand scheme of things. Assassins Creed already had this shit figured out I don't get why they would put all this time and energy into making something that isn't even part of the source material.
  2. While I actually like that particular Kanye song, one of the few good ones on that new album, they could have earned so many more brownie points if they used that UNKLE song from the very first trailer, or even one of those excellent Woodkid tracks found in subsequent games. Assassins Creed Revelations had an amazing trailer, from top to bottom.
  3. Some of the action looked good, other parts like when the girl drops down, kills the guys and then smirks WHILE HOLDING THE POSE looked absolutely cringe worthy. That stuff looks corny as hell in 2016 and I can't believe someone actually directed actors to do that, or that the actors didn't walk off the set in disgust.
  4. To end things on a positive note, I do think the cast is great, big fan of Fassbender and Jeremy Irons, and the Spanish Inquisition is a really interesting time period to explore.

That said this movie will be bad, we all know this, there is no possible way it can be good.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fine. Fassbender is infallible:

Loading Video...

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Instead of just imprinting him with his ancestors memories, they also train him physically. Still looks damn silly though.

The movie has potential based on it's cast and director (Kurzel's version of Macbeth is worth the viewing), but video game movies have always been cursed... so I remain skeptical.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think this animus makes more sense to becoming a present day assassin tho

like in the video game animus you're just lying down motionless and then you get up after who knows how many hours and now you can jump from building to building

at least in this new animus the muscles are being moved and the present day body is being exercised and taught the skills of the past assassin, all while safely harnessed

it's cool and if they brought that to the games for ~synergy~ i'd be totally okay with it

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody complaining should watch MacBeth, to show what this director and Fassbender can do:

Loading Video...

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks fine? Not mind blowing or anything but I don't understand where there 'this looks like shit' responses are coming from.

I imagine this trailer was made to some marketing forumula for mass appeal, even if parts come of kinda lame to people familiar to the franchise.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict 30% rotten tomatoes score.

Judging by the actors and director involved I doubt that.

Avatar image for battlemcstruggle
BattleMcStruggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

This looks fine? Not mind blowing or anything but I don't understand where there 'this looks like shit' responses are coming from.

I imagine this trailer was made to some marketing forumula for mass appeal, even if parts come of kinda lame to people familiar to the franchise.

The "Meh this looks shit"-responses are mostly just internet-grumpyness i guess. Especially if there´s nothing more to the post.

I think it´s... funny how much the trailer looks like the games. Someone up in the production chain really played a lot of this. But that´s also the reason why this propably could appear cheesy to a lot of people. What works in games totally doesn´t have to work in a non-interactive medium. But i´m really hopeful as the talent included is really outstanding, the production-value seems high and Fassbender.

Oh, and no way this is coming in December. Mark my words!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I think it looks terrible, just completely uninspired and boring.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#50  Edited By Humanity

@fetchfox said:

@humanity: Instead of just imprinting him with his ancestors memories, they also train him physically. Still looks damn silly though.

The movie has potential based on it's cast and director (Kurzel's version of Macbeth is worth the viewing), but video game movies have always been cursed... so I remain skeptical.

Yah I'm sure they have some movie justification for it but the games had all that stuff covered already. They had the Animus bleed effect that imprinted skills learned in his memories onto Desmonds modern mind and there is the entire backstory of him growing up in an enclave, training "assassin" stuff since he was a child until he ran away.

Sometimes I get why they change things around in adaptations. Some things don't make sense in movie format etc. But often times, as is the case here, the story is laid out so well that it almost seems like a sense of pride to put your own spin on things instead of copying the source material verbatim. Look at that Max Payne movie with Mark Wahlberg - the story of Max Payne is so straightforward and they went through all these lengths to make it their own dumb thing.