#1 Posted by deckard (332 posts) -
#2 Edited by hnke (186 posts) -

Looks really similar. Hopefully it has even less Animus bullshit and goes even further in the action RPG direction than Origins. As long as they keep moving away from the tedious and clunky pre-Origins games I’ll be interested.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

It's confirmed to be set 400 years before Origin.

#4 Edited by Chaser324 (8623 posts) -

I'm curious if they've opened this up to have progression a bit more like Wildlands or Far Cry 5 (for better or worse). Those meters in the bottom right corner of the screen look like they might be tracking your region progress towards taking out some sort of leader in the area.

I enjoyed Origins enough that I'm willing to dive in for some more as long as they don't do anything to really screw this up.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

@chaser324: I think one of the leaks a few weeks back said there would be region liberation like there was in the first Assassin's Creed (that was a thing in AC1, right? It's been so long but I feel like it was).

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (8623 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous: Maybe? I don't really remember anything from the first AC at this point.

#8 Posted by briarpack (302 posts) -

I wasn't the biggest fan of Origins, felt like another 7/10 Ubisoft "everygame" with a bunch of gameplay elements mashed together and none of them were very well executed.
The sample size is a tad small, but aren't the dialogue choices in those two screenshots basically the same thing? Also, "<3". Romance confirmed.
We'll see, but I'm probably gonna wait for a hefty discount on this one.

@jonny_anonymous: Maybe? I don't really remember anything from the first AC at this point.

I think AC1 had you complete side missions to find the location of your target.

That's hilarious.

#9 Edited by Efesell (4263 posts) -

Origins turned out to be the best AC game so I'll take another one them in a different setting.

Now that's just really funny if true.

#10 Posted by Chaser324 (8623 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous said:

That's hilarious.

It does really undercut the whole "origin" story of The Hidden Ones / Brotherhood of Assassins.

#11 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

400 years would place the game around the end of the Greco-Persian wars though which could be very interesting.

#12 Edited by deckard (332 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous said:

Oh come on now Ubisoft.

#13 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

It is funny but it would be a real bummer to allow something like a name bar them from exploring all the great historical settings that came before.

Just so long as the hook is not always 'No it turns out this is the true secret beginnings of the Assassins.'

#14 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

@deckard: @efesell: @chaser324: @efesell: @briarpack:

The scans show the main character who is a Spartan fighting Athenians and the Delian League is mentioned so that can only be set during the Peloponnesian War between 431 - 404 BC when Athens went to war with Sparta because they sided with Persia, as opposed to Origins, set during the Ptolemaic Dynasty in 49 BC.

Also, it's worth mentioning although Aya is considered as being the founder of the Assassin's Brotherhood, the first recorded use of the hidden blade to kill someone (which is mentioned in Origins) was when Darius used it to kill the Persian Emperor Xerxes the First in 465 BC. Also, we don't know the origin of the Order of the Ancients yet.

#15 Posted by Pie (7363 posts) -

Cool cool. Loved Origins so am excited to play a refined version of that. It is a lil weird that this is set before the game called Origins but whatever

#16 Posted by Pie (7363 posts) -

I'm curious if they've opened this up to have progression a bit more like Wildlands or Far Cry 5 (for better or worse). Those meters in the bottom right corner of the screen look like they might be tracking your region progress towards taking out some sort of leader in the area.

I enjoyed Origins enough that I'm willing to dive in for some more as long as they don't do anything to really screw this up.

Also one of the shots seem to show you taking part in a battle with people on both sides. There's a bar at the top which seems to show the strength of each side. Wonder if they're bringing back a bit of Brotherhood with you having a team of assassins/soldiers with you

#17 Posted by SnowyPliskin (193 posts) -

Shame they have doubled down on the RPG elements instead of making genuinely interesting games.

Seems like you can just confuse people with numbers nowadays into thinking a game is better than it is.

#18 Posted by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

Super hyped, this looks awesome! Origins was very cool and this looks like more Origins with more RPG elements which I'm very into! Can't wait!

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

@snowypliskin: I wouldn't mind if they split the series in two. The "Assassin's Creed" games that are like the original or Hitman or Tenchu or whatever that are actual stealthy assassin games and the "Templar Order" games that are more like open world RPGs of Origins and Odessey.

#20 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous: I mean I wouldn't mind an actual modern approach to Tenchu so that might work.

But I think people forget that the Original Assassin's Creed was just as loud as any of the modern ones, the modern ones just understand that players are gonna do that and made it easier to kill whole armies Faster.

#21 Posted by Humanity (18502 posts) -

@efesell said:

Origins turned out to be the best AC game so I'll take another one them in a different setting.

People say this, but if someone was never really a fan of the AC games and this AC game that plays nothing like the rest of the series is the "best one" then I dunno. Origins felt very soulless to me, and considering that this is a whole new setting and the game looks nearly identical from a first glance, it just kinda cements that generic feeling for me.

I'll play it, but I think that despite all their small faults and hiccups, the AC games had a lot more character than this new, design by committee feeling take on the franchise.

#22 Edited by Efesell (4263 posts) -

@humanity: Honestly I was never in the crowd that felt like Origins was a huge departure. I've been a huge AC fan from the jump and probably have more patience than most with a lot of the 'bad' games in the series.

#23 Posted by Humanity (18502 posts) -

@efesell: I think it's a pretty big departure from the gameplay and structure of the past games, and it's not one that I think is dramatically better as much as it's just different. Origins to me is one of the weakest AC games because it barely feels like one. They diluted everything about the experience into pure mechanics, and I suppose that resonates with some people more than the narrative approach they had before. Then again I'm one of the people that liked the feel and storytelling of AC1 way more than the Ezio saga that followed, so go figure.

#24 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

@humanity: To me it plays exactly like any old AC game but built way wider to give more chance to let those mechanics breath. The main story is nothing special but that's offset by having such a great protagonist and world.

I dunno, if Bayek were not so great a character and Egypt not so great a world to have him explore then it might have all fallen apart. I guess this game will be a good chance to put that to the test.

#25 Posted by Humanity (18502 posts) -

@efesell: Is he great? I hear this said a lot as well but he seems SO boilerplate and I dunno, bland? He has almost no emotions throughout the game apart from a "videogame lust for vengeance" you see so often. AS for gameplay it seems super different to me because it's a weirdly watered down combo system compared to the reaction based counter system the games used in the past.

I mean not to protract this and get the thread off topic as we seem to have pretty diverging views on Origins. All that aside, for better and worse, these screens do resemble Origins a whole lot.

#26 Posted by breq (107 posts) -

So Ubisoft skipped a year so they could work on two games instead of one.

#27 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

@humanity: I guess it depends? If you primarily do the main story then Bayek is kind of a generic mad dad.

But all the side content makes him out as this warm guardian of the people who loves children and just genuinely wants to help people and it's just kind of a joy to lead him through that world.

#28 Posted by MiniPato (3009 posts) -

@humanity said:
@efesell said:

People say this, but if someone was never really a fan of the AC games and this AC game that plays nothing like the rest of the series is the "best one" then I dunno. Origins felt very soulless to me, and considering that this is a whole new setting and the game looks nearly identical from a first glance, it just kinda cements that generic feeling for me.

I'll play it, but I think that despite all their small faults and hiccups, the AC games had a lot more character than this new, design by committee feeling take on the franchise.

Gotta say I was disappointed with Origins after hearing the crew praise it for being such a huge departure for the series. There are some improvements in some ways and in a lot of ways there are huge downgrades. I think the combat was severely simplified in Origins compared to past games. It's going for a Dark Souls approach instead of the Batman Arkham of the past games and I think the Dark Souls approach to combat does not suit AC at all and it looks less cool and elegant. The acrobatic nature of the combat, being able to use the hidden blade to do lethal counters, being able to grab and toss enemies into scaffolding and off cliffs, and being able to vault over enemies mid combat was what was so great about the combat in AC games. Origins opted for variety of weapons instead of depth and it shows.

Origins is a departure in some ways, but not the ways that matter. The map icon clearing and sidequest heavy nature of the AC games is what fatigued me with the series and Origins doesn't really change that. It's really hard for me to get excited for Odyssey because it looks exactly like what a yearly AC game would look like. Seems like they took time off making AC a yearly franchise so that they could work on a new engine to churn out another yearly AC game.

#29 Edited by Efesell (4263 posts) -

I can understand not liking the new combat but it definitely didn't simplify anything.

AC combat was always either you counter killed someone attacking you or you chain killed squads of soldiers one after the other. Either way you were just timing a button press. It was cinematic in a way that Origins definitely is not and I do miss that aspect but mechanically? I dunno about that.

#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

@humanity: I liked most AC games and I love the first one and I think Origins is easily one of the best games and Bayek is by far the best protag they have ever had.

#31 Posted by Humanity (18502 posts) -
#32 Edited by TheHT (15786 posts) -

@chaser324 said:
@briarpack said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

That's hilarious.

It does really undercut the whole "origin" story of The Hidden Ones / Brotherhood of Assassins.

Don't forget the Assassin's (if not by name) basically go back to Adam and Eve, as in the two literal people who were a part of (or led?) the rebellion against humanity's ancient alien overlords, using a stolen Apple of Eden which were originally used to subjugate the human worker species.

The sci-fi religious lore in Assassin's Creed is so silly and great.

#33 Posted by Sam_lfcfan (299 posts) -

This game will probably be good, but I miss when these games were more centered around assassinating somebody in a vaguely stealthily manner. All of the changes they've made just make the series more generic to me.

#34 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

This game will probably be good, but I miss when these games were more centered around assassinating somebody in a vaguely stealthily manner. All of the changes they've made just make the series more generic to me.

Did you ever really do that though? Even in the intro the original it was all portrayed as leap into the crowd as noisily as possible and most targets were set up in a manner to have you do just that and then run away with half the city screaming at you.

#35 Posted by SethMode (1877 posts) -

@efesell: yeah I mean, there were instances where you could kill people without someone seeing, but I feel like even the pitch of the first game was all about the murder and then the chase.

#36 Posted by Efesell (4263 posts) -

@sethmode said:

@efesell: yeah I mean, there were instances where you could kill people without someone seeing, but I feel like even the pitch of the first game was all about the murder and then the chase.

My memory is a little spotty but I wanna say it was also something of an early plot point in that first game how the deed itself was supposed to be intentionally loud and showy to give the impression of we can get you whenever we want and then vanish.

#37 Posted by Sam_lfcfan (299 posts) -

@efesell: That's fair, I guess I'm just tired of open world games where numbers fall of dudes when you hit them and you do a bunch of side quests to get better loot and xp. I feel like there was some incentive not to get into swordfights constantly in the first couple Assassin's Creed games, but I could be romanticizing the past a bit.

#38 Posted by Vashyron (310 posts) -

I'll play an Assassin's Creed set in Ancient Greece, but like...why would you have named your last game Origins if you are going to pull this shit?

#39 Posted by SethMode (1877 posts) -

@vashyron: It's almost as if they had no larger plan for the story...