Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Junkerman

Hello!

So long story short I received a free copy of Valhalla this year and its due to arrive sometime this week in the mail.

I enjoyed Origins quite a bit and while its taken me YEARS to finish Odyssey after getting burnt out time to time but still enjoying it, overall I'd say that it was a decent game if a bit bloated.

I'm looking forward to Valhalla but have read it was burdened quite heavily by bugs upon release. Has it been polished up at all over the last few months or am I better off just waiting until the DLC is all finished? I dont doubt the game will reach its full potential eventuallyin classic Ubisoft form.

EDIT *I should mention: I'm on Base PS4

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Wait, if you can. It's buggy for me. There's a boss fight I'm trying to get through right now where the thing keeps digging into the ground then running through the barriers to the fight, essentially leaving the boss fight arena which I can't escape. I also load into every game drunk, thanks to what I assume is the Christmas event (which also broke my quest trackers for a week), and the game continually dumps me to the desktop. It ain't great at the moment.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I also load into every game drunk

Same, but I think that's a me problem.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bad. The game was buggy as hell on release and there are more (and more obnoxious) bugs that get added with every patch. I'd say a good 30-40% of the side content had some sort of bug in it during my playthrough, and it doesn't seem to have improved markedly over time. For example, the game broke my fully upgraded arrow quiver in the last patch. I used to have a max of 24 arrows. Now I can only carry 10, despite the quiver being upgraded all the way.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Playing the digital edition on a base PS4. The loading into games drunk thing has happened to me as well. The game crashed a lot early on but seems to be more stable now. I stopped playing the holiday stuff because it's broken as hell. Definitely some smaller bugs as well, but it seems to work fine otherwise.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm on PC and I haven't had too many problems. Biggest issue was a frequent CTD that, hopefully, got resolved after I verified the files through the Ubisoft Connect game client. There is a current bug with the free Yuletide event where every time you start the game, Eivor is drunk. Fast traveling clears it immediately, however. Other than that there's just been the standard "open world jank". On PC, results may vary wildly.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, is this a console set of issues specifically because I remember loading it up and being pleasantly surprised that it uh..worked really well.

Pnutz83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pnutz83

Hade like 10 crashes in a row while fighting one of the assassin targets. Super annoying (pre 10th of december).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Also surprised by this reaction. Not to undermine anyone since I guess I'm an outlier but on Series X I encountered basically no bugs at all so kinda shocking to hear people say it was a broken mess for them.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Also surprised by this reaction. Not to undermine anyone since I guess I'm an outlier but on Series X I encountered basically no bugs at all so kinda shocking to hear people say it was a broken mess for them.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "broken." In 70 hours, I had exactly 1 crash, and 0 issues that would fundamentally break a save file, which is better than prior AC games have done for sure. However, I'd say that easily the majority of side-content had some minor to moderate scripting bug that necessitated a reload.

It's kind of a philosophical question, I guess. Would you rather have a game with 3-5 big, game breaking bugs that are obvious and get fixed fairly quickly, or a game with dozens of tiny little bugs that force you to reload or cheese part of the game to get to work?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Junkerman

Yeah bugs are one of those weird things where everyone's mileage may vary. The bugs themselves are obviously not subjective but how they impact enjoyment is. I'd say personally I've got a fairly high tolerance for bugs and jank - but dont want to see my 50 hour save become ruined because of some bug somewhere. I mainly just wanted to see how often the latter was occuring, which seemed pretty common at launch from a couple of the reviewers I follow and reddit. The December 15th patch seemed to fix a lot of scripting for quests... allegedly anyway! I'll probably give it a shot when they launch the next update on the way.

I recently played AC Origins and over 40 hours had to reload maybe five times because a context sensitive quest item wasnt registering. And I saw exactly one T-Pose NPC on a bench in Memphis... not a big deal.

On the other hand I've seen people decry Control as being nearly unplayable on the PS4 due to framerate issues and I played the heck out of that game and dont recall anything problematic other then, again, having to reload exactly once because a side quest NPC did not spawn.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: I can't even think of any of those I ran into though to be honest. Maybe some of the wonky AI pathfinding when someone was trying to stealth with you.. but hard to say if that was bugged or just weird.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SethMode

This game was wonky as hell for me at times on the Xbox One X, but it only crashed once and the wonk was only ever "fun" wonk (A man floating through air in t-pose form after I killed him, literally following me down the trail in this floating, ghost-like way; a canoe that just kept flying up into the air and then slowly drifting back down into the water with no one in it; that sort of thing).

It definitely didn't run *well* though, that's for sure.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

It may just be down to play style or just bad luck.

I've played it on Xbox One S, and had almost no issues (a few crashes) and finished it around the time the yuletide patch was released.

My partner is also playing that same digital copy on the same Xbox One S, and has had way more issues. A handful of bugs which prevented her from completing quests, some unobtainable stuff (wealth supposed to be carried by an NPC... but the NPC isn't there), and other minor glitches and obviously some crashes.

In the end it wasn't a big deal for either of us. It's an open world game, if the quest or item is glitched, we just did something else and came back a few days later.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I had a bug where I couldn't fast travel or save my game, had to go to the internet to figure out how to fix it. Before that, I had an issue where I couldn't trigger the next sequence in a main story quest. I like the game a lot, but these issues are really bad.

zachattack294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: There is a fix for that. If you go to Vinland and fire off all your arrows, unequip the bow, then return to Ravensthorpe and purchase new arrows and reequip the bow it should fix it. Worked for me at least.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zachattack294: That doesn't always work, and is rarely permanent. It seems especially to be a problem if you were hit by the bug before going to Vinland for the first time.

I once managed to almost get it to work, bought up my arrows, only to have them drop back down again. Played the rest of the game having to be conservative.

Garrsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have sunk about 120 hrs into the series x version since launch and just completed it this last weekend. Aside from a few save issues early on with auto save, getting stuck in combat, the Christmas glitch where you were drunk (when the yule festival left this was fixed.), And the occasional hard crash while loading - this has been the most bug free assassin's creed I have played in a while.

Sathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I’m playing on a base PS4 and the patches have fixed the only real issue I was dealing with. Now I’ve played over 120 hours and other than a few crashes here and there it’s been good. The game auto saves often so no progress was lost.

norcal02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this thread in the community showcase and wanted to add my two cents in. I'm playing on PC and am at about 20 hours but had to stop playing because the game just kept crashing. I verified the files through Ubisoft Connect and Epic Games Store (since I bought it on Epic, but it launches in Ubisoft Connect) and also have drastically lowered my graphics settings, but I'm still getting the crashes. At this point I'm gonna move on to another game and hope after a couple patches it'll be good to hop back in.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay so finally got my copy in the mail decided to play a few hours - man I was not expecting how rough this game is on several levels.

I'm coming from just finishing playthroughs of AC Origins and... man I'm having a hard time with how downgraded everything is from the graphics to the quality of the audio and animations its like a completely different studio made it.

I was genuinely impressed with the graphics in Origins and while the animations werent on the same level as Unity it was still top notch.

I think I'll put this one on the back burner and revisit it when the DLC is out.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerman: Weird. Playing it on PS5 and its miles ahead of Origins and Odyssey. I've got 102 hours in and the only bug I've had is the "Drunk" bug. But that has since stopped. Best looking and sounding AC by miles.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing on base PS4 - I might wait until I get a PS5, whenever thats possible. I doubt the quality of the animations would approve at all between versions though. Its not a deal breaker or anything just pretty disappointing.

I finished Origins minutes before trying Valhalla and feel pretty confident in my assertion though. There's just something weird about the combat animations and how Eivor moves through the world.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not what you were asking about, but after not having a single crash until yesterday's patch on PC, and since then having 2 and I'm irritated enough to mention it anyway.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said: not here to invalidate others experiences but I played on Launch on PC. Only one crash and one unfortunate bug that locked me out of getting the Man's Best Friend ability when you were suppose to get it initially. Losing out on getting an attack dog and finding out too late that I can only get it much later in the form of a skill book. Not a great feeling even if i never planned on using it.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone is curious I've tried playing again after this most recent (10.4gb patch on PS4) I will say there has been a very noticeable improvement after this one. Gameplay is a lot smoother, dialog modeling is noticeably improved and I haven't had any animations fail to play since it updated.

Half a year later... but not a bad patch. Glad I waited so long before giving it a go for sure.