Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance to be re-released tomorrow May 7 on all major consoles for $30

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I loved this game on PS2 but $30 seems high for a port of a game that's closing in on 20 years old. Probably going to wait for a price drop on this one. I really wish that they had included the sequel because then I would be all over it.

I'm always happy to see remasters of great old games but the recent price points have been pretty high. The full on remake of Battle for Bikini Bottom is $30 so this remaster feels like it should be cheaper or they should have done more to it.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this and was excited but didn't see the price listed. Yeah, that's too much, especially since I'm not desperate for games at the moment. Definitely a sale game.

Also is there nothing about online co-op?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl: IGN says local co-op only.

And when it doesn't sell they're going to complain that gamers don't want new games or re-releases and there's no point in putting them out.

They sell when there's effort put into them or the price is reasonable. For a no frills port of a 20 year old game $10 is probably the right price point. $15 or $20 maybe (and $15 is what they're charging for Republic Commando.)

$30 is just way too much. That's the same price point as Ori and the Will of the Wisps!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Onemanarmyy

yeah this is a very enjoyable game, but i find it hard to imagine people will buy this for 30$. Oh well, it will eventually find the right pricepoint on a sale i guess. Still pretty happy i get to play this game that i only really experienced chunks of when i was at my neighbors place.

PC and mobile versions will be released later this year.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can tell you are legit excited about this because it is the first post of yours that isn't 7000 words!

I kid of course. Good looking out. This is one of those games I completely missed so I am kind of dying to try this.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, I still play this on my PS2 now and then.

I'd be happy to have a remastered version but, yeah, that's way too much money. No doubt it'll be on sale in a few months.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Huh, I always did like this game! But it's been 15 years; curious if they update anything design-wise.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By apewins

Quite honestly I don't see the point of complaining about the price. It's a port of a game that nobody knew they wanted, and if they've waited 20 years for it then surely they can wait 6 more months for a sale, and there's a good chance it'll be on Game Pass / PS Plus / Humble Bundle / Epic Store giveaway for free in about a year.

There's a lot of great games lost to time from an era where backwards compatibility didn't exist, and not so great games that regardless deserve to be remembered and made accessible. There are folks out there for whom the price is not an issue, let them pay for the work it takes to develop this port and let the rest of us enjoy it later. If they couldn't charge $30 for it then likely it would not have been made.

The same goes for things like the PC port of Kingdom Hearts, who cares what is costs as long as it gets made, you always wait for the price to drop if it's too much for you. More options is always better for the consumer, if the alternative is that you'd have to buy a console to play KH, or that you'd need a functional PS2 to play Dark Alliance, then the price doesn't seem that insurmountable.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: It's 7 months away from being 20 years old. This was an EARLY PS2 game. And they haven't done anything to the game except port it according to reports.

@apewins: I don't see the point in complaining about other people noting that it's overpriced. By that logic we should never comment on price about any games because they will eventually come down. Even Nintendo will probably have a Player's Choice type line eventually. I mentioned the price because it's something people want to know when they hear about a release and it matters for a host of reasons. Not least of which because when companies overprice their games they take wrong information about why they underperform.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Why not include the objectively better second one with it, at least? They're literally the same games, just one is more recent and has some QoL. I mean, these games rule and it's probably just some way to get you hyped for the reboot, but these classics deserve more than just an overpriced release dump.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I would have bought both games for 30$ no problem. Especially for the second because these games have been really hard to emulate over the years.

But this? Eh...

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I would buy this for $20 AND gift a copy to my brother...if there was online co-op. That price is ridiculous.

Now give me Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms remakes with online, you cowards.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Give me Hunter: The Reckoning: Wayward, you cowards! (yes, seriously, two subtitles)

$30 seemed alright at first, but...nah, I was remembering Dark Alliance 2, the first game is VERY dated and they haven't improved anything? $30 is TOO DAMN MUCH!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No online co-op for a game treading on ~20 year old nostalgia, whose targets of that nostalgia in all likelihood don't live together or even nearby each other anymore, sure is a choice.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually just emulated this the other week and I prefer the way the original looked. If you're just going to upres an old game without adding anything else it's gonna look like bad... unless it's something with a lasting aesthetic like Windwaker (which imo looks better upressed on Dolphin emu than in the remaster). This game deserved a great juicy remaster. Shame.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I doubt that this game will underperform, I believe that the publishers know exactly what this release is and have set their expectations accordingly.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

There's also a new Dark Alliance game coming out. It's just called "Dark Alliance", though.

I have never played this so if it's a functioning product I might try it.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MasterBrief

@epidehl: I think it’s funny considering the new one is $40. I love the old games but i doubt there’s work done to it that accounts for that price tag.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ajamafalous: I just don’t understand that. It’s like shipping a remaster of Goldeneye without multiplayer. Wizards of the Coast needs to stop handing IPs to clueless developers. Larian is the only recent one excluded.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apewins: For sure. Publishers never put unreasonable expectations on games or make assumptions about what might sell or not based on a bad version of the product fans want. That's why Sega put out everybody's least favorite Monkey Ball on next gen platforms.

I don't know why you're bothered at all by people talking about price. It's totally normal. The first thing you do when you see that there's a new game announced is ask yourself "Do I want to buy this?" And part of that is going to be the price. Based on this thread a lot of people clearly care about the price here.

Nobody's outraged or saying that we should all march on the publisher and demand they lower the price, but it's reasonable and normal to comment on it and I'm baffled why this bothers you based on the idea that eventually it will drop in price so we should never care about the prices of video games and not talk about whether or when we plan to buy them but instead just discuss...I don't know what exactly is in bounds because I don't know why price wouldn't be.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10 or 15 bucks and maybe. I still have my old physical copies so no biggie.