• 133 results
alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Sometime all the way back in 2013, I was approached by Christopher Grant of Awesome Games Done Quick and presented with an interesting opportunity. He suggested that I should come down to the event and do a speedrun of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. This is a game I have some history with, you see.

The idea of speedrunning the worst video game ever made sounded amusing, but I had no idea how that would even work, and somewhere between the initial suggestion and last year's event, communication lines got weird (my fault entirely), and it didn't come together. Then he found me at PAX this past year and suggested it again. I asked him to send me some info on what a Big Rigs speedrun entailed, and he sent me this video. He wasn't joking. There is an official method for speedrunning Big Rigs.

I felt sort of weird about the idea still. I have no involvement in the speedrunning scene, and while I'm always down to help out with charity, I felt like I might be intruding on this cool thing that the AGDQ team has been putting together since 2010. I felt like kind of an interloper, you know?

Ultimately, I got over it and agreed to take a brief jaunt down to Virginia this week for the purposes of Big Rigs-ing for fun and charity but mostly charity, if we're being honest here. I'm really glad I did. Despite finding myself unable to run the game properly on my own PC--thus preventing me from getting much of any practice in whatsoever--I turned in what I'd consider a respectable run, had some laughs with the folks that came to watch the event live, and stuck around to watch some other folks' runs during the remainder of the Awful Block. I watched a man blow through Radical Rex while painstakingly describing every single way in which that game is broken and terrible. I discovered that Beethoven's 2nd is depressingly lacking in any Charles Grodin whatsoever. I learned for the first time what Town With No Name is, and I am forever changed by the discovery.

I also learned that a bunch of you out there are mighty generous. In what I can only assume was intended to be a jokey inclusion, a bidding mark of $3000 was offered, which would require me to show off the "infinite speed" glitch in Big Rigs. You know, it's that thing that happens when you hit the "reverse" button in that game and just keep it held down for a while. Not exactly a difficult task, but y'all hit the donation target with ease. That's super rad.

Awesome Games Done Quick is still going as we speak. They've got stuff lined up through this weekend, and thus far have raised over $500,000 for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

There's a good chance this is both the beginning and the end of my speedrunning career. If that's the case, I'm glad I got to do it for a worthwhile cause. Thanks again to the whole AGDQ crew for having me out. And thanks to Sean Lee for capturing my run, along with the embedded chat. You can check it out in the video below, if you're interested.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Watched this live. Good job Alex!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

It stinks that the Awful Games Done Quick block was super duper early in the morning this year. Anyways, great job Alex!

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rincewind

Yeah, we definitely got the front door, good buddy

Mercy sakes alive, looks like we've got us a convoy

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It was amazing, Alex! Good on ya! :D

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Gaff

Always quit while you're on top, Alex!

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Truly a titan of the speed run.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hassun

Great times in the Awful Games Done Quick block of AGDQ!

Bonus links:

Trio the Punch

Town With No Name

P.S. @alex I suggest using this video instead. Higher quality and having the twitch chat on-screen probably detracts more than it adds.

Loading Video...

P.P.S. And here's a higher quality version of the infamous Gamespot review.

SoupNBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Missed it live but watched the archive a little bit earlier! Good stuff Alex!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frankly, I'm surprised Alex didn't just do this speed run from the comfort of his own home. I was under the impression he hated going outside.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00: And miss the chance to visit beautiful, picturesque Herndon, Virginia?

bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

Oh god the chat room!!! Sooooo good. The tears taste great.

cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Man, Alex

This is some vintage stuff =)

mr_arkadin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to get home and throw this on. Finally, the prodigal son has returned... to big rigs.

rahlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got home from work and turned on AGDQ. Luckily I caught a glimpse of Mr. Navarro on the screen for about a minute. Jumped on GB for more info and you guys were all over it. Thanks for setting up the links to his run.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Very cool of you to do this, Alex. Wish I had seen it live.

Professionlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really want to see those other ones he mentioned like radical rex (with stated commentary) and town with no name

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great job, Alex. Only one man can endure such a complete pile of shit that is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Nice one Alex!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

really want to see those other ones he mentioned like radical rex (with stated commentary) and town with no name

Youtube playlist with all runs.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Missed it live but watched the VOD this morning. It was amazing. I think you should definitely keep going for that WR.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was checking out the Humble Bundle page when this was on. I was so confused when I saw Alex on this charity stream.

B I G R I G S B O Y S

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Alex! GB shirts have always shown up in the crowd and on runners. Seeing you there in person (and as a runner no less) completes a beautiful circle. Very very cool

tbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Professionlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, seems that the internet is continuing to collapse in on itself. Great work Alex.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're winner for doing this Alex. Thanks for sharing this on the site.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Cirdain
No Caption Provided

HAAA!!!

Scb360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched it live and was like, 'is that Alex Navarro?' lo and behold it was! Very fun run and AGDQ and SGDQ are amazing every year

@alex you did well

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

If you want to see some real craziness, this is the Tetris GM exhibition Alex mentioned in the run. It's nuts.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really could have done without the horrible chat part, but aside from that this video is great. Well done, Alex.

Hopefully with this much attention on the game again, some dude will go "You know what, world? It's time for Big Rigs 2!"

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzHP

If you're wondering why I recorded it with twitch chat, it's because unlike the video archive, the chat is something that is lost to time once it's over. When I go back and watch these, I'm a little sad that I don't get the full live stream experience. So it's more for my personal gratification than anything else. :) Often times things that I don't notice at all when watching the video by itself become huge running jokes in twitch chat, and I like getting swept up in the excitement (toxic as it might be sometimes).

Also my friends who were in the Tetris video personally requested that I record the chat so they could go back and watch it later, and I just left it running all night since I knew Alex was going to be playing later.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Why does the production of this look so janky? Like it was produced in 2005 or something.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LikeaSsur

@sessh: Say what you will, Twitch isn't Twitch without the chat.

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ejc93

All these recent articles being written by different people is weirding me out in a good way.

Snowden42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stayed up late specifically for this and it didn't disappoint. Great job alex!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@azhp: Umm you don't happen to have the Phantasmagoria w/ Chat video? I would love to relive that with the reactions from chat along with Vinny and Dave.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like having twitch chat, I thought it was pretty funny having everyone spamming the dog emote in place of a wolf.

Anyway, good job Alex. It was a fun little thing that I wouldn't have expected. I got up early this morning specifically because I remembered it would be on too.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing.

Professionlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

here is the one with radical rex

Loading Video...

isomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahah this is pretty amazing. I have watched way too much this awesome games done quick stream.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh damn, had no idea this was happening, hell of a start to 2015 for Alex!

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dprotp

Here's Alex's wonderful reaction to Taz in the Awful block.

No Caption Provided

[Edit] I fell asleep and caught Alex doing the infinite speed incentive. Came back earlier today to watch the rest of the run, and damn dude! Them hot frame-saving moves

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was up early to watch this, seemed like a good time. Hope to see you going out into the wild and doing more weird stuff, Alex.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That's awesome. So awesome of you to accept to do this, Alex.

I love that the world record is comprised of only finishing one race backwards and then automatically winning all the other races until the game crashes haha

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm all for charity, but making someone play this game, even for a good cause, is pretty sadistic.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rjaylee

Holy shit that's amazing. Well done, @alex, and everyone at the AGDQ crew.

YOU'RE WINNER!

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex you mentioned to me after the PAX Prime Giant Bomb panel that you were going to do this, good to see it happen. Big Rigs odd relationship with collision detection makes it quite fun to watch.