5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10 and the Bombcast goes free.

spiffyXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spiffyXD
  http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23978756807

Let's do it! Assuming they're counting monthly subscribers as well, it'll only cost $5! And we're already halfway there.

Edit:  I just signed up for my yearly membership now.  I knocked out when I got home last night so I didn't even turn on my computer. Everyone was right in calling me out throughout the thread for trying to rally everyone and not even be a subscriber myself.  So.. go go go! 600 more! 

Edit #2
: We were at ~4,930 eight hours ago. We may have made it?
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho
@spiffyXD said:

"  http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23978756807

Let's do it! Assuming they're counting monthly subscribers as well, it'll only cost $5! And we're already halfway there. "

It should already be free for everyone regardless. I seem to recall them talking up the idea that the subscriptions would only provide additional features and not take anything away that was already here. I love Giant Bomb and I've already slapped down my cash for a year-long subscription, but it seems kind of dirty that they just sprung this on people today.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Already a few threads on this I think.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee
@natetodamax said:
" Already a few threads on this I think. "
There's already a few threads on basically everything to do with the subscription.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

Nothing against the topic starter, but where are the moderators?

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Noodles
@ch13696 said:
" Nothing against the topic starter, but where are the moderators? "
Busy moderating the crazy as fuck BLLSL chat, I would assume.
p7oconnor10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By p7oconnor10

I will and have paid $5 to save the Bombcast. Now fix my avatar and quests!

Sulaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sulaco

I signed up for a year as I love the podcast and the work that these guys do.  But I hope it stays free as it would be a hassle to download the podcast outside of itunes.

Mr_eX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mr_eX

Anyone know what they're up to?

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Evilmetal

LOL... 5k subscribers, or the cat gets it. Wow that's low.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By DXmagma

THAT'S FUCKING STUPID!

i didn't know they took away the bombcast! you fuckers!

did they take the screened podcast too?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august
@DXmagma said:
" THAT'S FUCKING STUPID!  i didn't know they took away the bombcast! you fuckers!  did they take the screened podcast too? "
YES THE BOMBCAST IS GONE FOREVER

ALSO THEY KILLED SANTA
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Dany
@DXmagma said:
" THAT'S FUCKING STUPID!  i didn't know they took away the bombcast! you fuckers!  did they take the screened podcast too? "
Get educated please. They are only going to offer the first hour to none paying members and the second hour will go up next week along with the first hour of that weeks podcast. Members who pay get both hours upfront without the week wait. So in essence, after a few weeks, people would get used to the schedule of the bombcast but still, it was not a good move. Hopefully their are enough subscribing members that this shit will end
McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By McPaper

If you wait for the full week you can listen to it as a whole but it will be outdated.
If you want it at the latest you need to  wait another whole week just to finish the rest of it?

It seems like a loss to the regular non-paying members if you ask me. I am not complaining against any of the crew, just expressing that its a sucky circumstance.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joker369

Thank you whiskey media, thank you

I was really bummed to hear the only paid subscribers could get to hear the entire bombcast. I felt it was kind of unfair because other sites let you listen to their entire podcast even if you do not pay. But now you are setting this right. Now lets get to 5,000

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MistaSparkle

Subscribing on iTunes, right? Just making sure...
RuisuX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RuisuX

@MistaSparkle said:

"Subscribing on iTunes, right? Just making sure... "

No, subscribing to Whiskey Media.
DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DXmagma
@Dany: 

oh. hehehe...i read all the parts of the multipass thing but didn't hear about this. but still, that is fucking stupid. why the first hour? not the second? i mean, it just doesn't make sense for it to be the first hour.

but um...behind the screen door, i get all that for free right?
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany
@DXmagma said:
" @Dany:   oh. hehehe...i read all the parts of the multipass thing but didn't hear about this. but still, that is fucking stupid. why the first hour? not the second? i mean, it just doesn't make sense for it to be the first hour.  but um...behind the screen door, i get all that for free right? "
Yes, they are only doing this to giantbomb because they consistinaly for as long that they have been on go for 2 hours, and that is too much time and money that is lost.
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vrikk

I've already subscribed.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Noodles
@DXmagma said:

" @Dany:   oh. hehehe...i read all the parts of the multipass thing but didn't hear about this. but still, that is fucking stupid. why the first hour? not the second? i mean, it just doesn't make sense for it to be the first hour.  but um...behind the screen door, i get all that for free right? "

They said they are going to change the format up a bit so all of the major/important content is at the beginning, and all the bullshit/awesome/hilarious bits are near the end. 

So in a nutshell, the Bombcast is like a mullet. Business in the front, party in the back.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Andorski

I'll subscribe the second after the deadline.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kajaah117
@Andorski said:
" I'll subscribe the second after the deadline. "
This is exactly what I was afraid of. The community is already divided. People who would love to support their favorite people in the world but can't afford it(people like me), and the elitist snobs that have the money but are holding it until after the deadline just to deprive us of our Bombcast.  

Fuck this bullshit. I hope they have it in their hearts to leave the Bombcast untouched even if they don't meet their "pledge" quota, but no matter how much I love the Bombsquad, I won't ever be able to listen to a belated Bombcast without feeling like I'm no longer a part of this community. "Here you go non-payer, I ate all the skin off the KFC but I saved you the white meat."
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By whitesox
@Kajaah117 said:
" @Andorski said:
This is exactly what I was afraid of. The community is already divided. People who would love to support their favorite people in the world but can't afford it(people like me), and the elitist snobs that have the money but are holding it until after the deadline just to deprive us of our Bombcast.   Fuck this bullshit. I hope they have it in their hearts to leave the Bombcast untouched even if they don't meet their "pledge" quota, but no matter how much I love the Bombsquad, I won't ever be able to listen to a belated Bombcast without feeling like I'm no longer a part of this community. "Here you go non-payer, I ate all the skin off the KFC but I saved you the white meat." "
Absolutely.
DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DXmagma
@Dany said:
" @DXmagma said:
Yes, they are only doing this to giantbomb because they consistinaly for as long that they have been on go for 2 hours, and that is too much time and money that is lost. "
well i don't mind that as much. i'm not a giant bombcast fan. i meant i'm not a fan of the bombcast i wasn't calling it the giant bombcast.

still, for people who do and don't have the extra cash for it this sucks.
DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DXmagma
@Noodles said:
Business in the front, party in the back. "
that is very possibly the best metaphor i have ever heard.
Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Jayzz

whiskeymedia   
3.9k...come on guys. Seriously we can get there! PROVE ME WRONG!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By demontium
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By BraveToaster
@natetodamax said:
" Already a few threads on this I think. "
Yep
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's very unlikely they will reach that number, maybe they did it on purpose. Also it's possible that's exactly how much money they exactly need. I will have to do the math, however i'm too tired. They need to raise $250,000 or maybe $200,000 if ppl sub for a month. That's a lot of money, they can practically finance a small section of a building.

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By TheLastNeo

5 bucks a month for 8 hours of content seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.   

Think of it like a Game rental.

Avatar image for calculating_infinity
Calculating_Infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a good deal, I just can't help feeling disgusted by the way GiantBomb handled this.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Vinny_Says
@TheLastNeo said:
" 5 bucks a month for 8 hours of content seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.    Think of it like a Game rental. "
it's a good deal but they way they lied and then handled the backlash is disgusting.
roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By roborobb

@Blacklabeldomm @calculating_infinity how did they handle the backlash?? on TBLLSL they seemed to not address it really.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By najaf
@blacklabeldomm said:
" @TheLastNeo said:
" 5 bucks a month for 8 hours of content seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.    Think of it like a Game rental. "
it's a good deal but they way they lied and then handled the backlash is disgusting. "
How did it go down? I missed the 'announcement' and the first several hours of the show. How did they lie?
TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheLastNeo
@Najaf: My guess is he's referring to the earlier information posted a few weeks ago (or months) that Dave had talked about where "all exsisting features would remain free" for non subscribers.
artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By artelinarose

I really don't see the big deal. I was glad to fork over the $5 to help support what I believe is the best website about video games I've ever been to, and my only regret is that I don't have the $50 lying around to make the immediate yearly payment.

As somebody who has never once listened to the Bombcast, I see this whole situation of calling Giantbomb out as immature and whiny. You still have your Bombcast, this is not a "betrayal"; you just need to learn to have some damn patience to wait a week for the second hour. Stop acting like four year olds throwing a tantrum, rolling about on your back on the floor kicking your legs screaming "but I want it now." If the second half of a podcast where they try to cover all the important stuff in the first hour is THAT important to you, maybe it's time to take a step back and reassess just what your priorities are exactly. Or quit being a cheapskate and fork over the $5 you have lying in your couch.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@whitesox said:
" @Kajaah117 said:
" @Andorski said:
This is exactly what I was afraid of. The community is already divided. People who would love to support their favorite people in the world but can't afford it(people like me), and the elitist snobs that have the money but are holding it until after the deadline just to deprive us of our Bombcast.   Fuck this bullshit. I hope they have it in their hearts to leave the Bombcast untouched even if they don't meet their "pledge" quota, but no matter how much I love the Bombsquad, I won't ever be able to listen to a belated Bombcast without feeling like I'm no longer a part of this community. "Here you go non-payer, I ate all the skin off the KFC but I saved you the white meat." "
Absolutely. "
Absolutely NOT.

These people have been generating entertaining and informative content for almost three years and now, when they make it clear that their previous method of income either doesn't work or has potential to change the way content is generated and that they would rather deal with their userbase directly, you act like they owe you something.  Actually you owe them.  We all do.  Don't be so goddam cheap.  You'll pay more for a game which only gives you a marginal amount of entertainment return by comparison.  Get real and stop acting like someone stole something from you when you never paid for it in the first place.
NumberFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NumberFour

They have some nerve asking for money.

I love the show but why should I pay for something that is their medium to promote the site? Get real. The beauty of the Internet is that if someone messes up, someone will be in the shadows waiting to take their place.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@NumberFour said:
" They have some nerve asking for money.  I love the show but why should I pay for something that is their medium to promote the site? Get real. The beauty of the Internet is that if someone messes up, someone will be in the shadows waiting to take their place. "
OK, Mr. one post protest account. 
Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kajaah117
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @whitesox said:
" @Kajaah117 said:
" @Andorski said:
Absolutely. "
Absolutely NOT.  These people have been generating entertaining and informative content for almost three years and now, when they make it clear that their previous method of income either doesn't work or has potential to change the way content is generated and that they would rather deal with their userbase directly, you act like they owe you something.  Actually you owe them.  We all do.  Don't be so goddam cheap.  You'll pay more for a game which only gives you a marginal amount of entertainment return by comparison.  Get real and stop acting like someone stole something from you when you never paid for it in the first place. "
I CAN NOT AFFORD IT! If I had the money, it would be in their pocket right now. I can't afford Live, I can barely manage Netflix, and now I can't get my regular Bombcast... 

.... which brings me to the problem we all have with this: hypocrisy. They made a point of doing what they can to not divide the community or take away features from the free members and put them behind a paywall, but that's what this is. The poor people miss out on half the inside-jokes for a full week by not being able to listen to the full Bombcast. That's both segregation and feature-removal.  

If this paid service was just the additional features to go along with the standard GiantBomb experience it would be perfect, but retroactively butchering the heart and soul of the site, the podcast, goes against everything they said this paid subscription would mean.
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_hiro_abides
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @whitesox said:
" @Kajaah117 said:
" @Andorski said:
Absolutely. "
Absolutely NOT.  These people have been generating entertaining and informative content for almost three years and now, when they make it clear that their previous method of income either doesn't work or has potential to change the way content is generated and that they would rather deal with their userbase directly, you act like they owe you something.  Actually you owe them.  We all do.  Don't be so goddam cheap.  You'll pay more for a game which only gives you a marginal amount of entertainment return by comparison.  Get real and stop acting like someone stole something from you when you never paid for it in the first place. "
I agree. I've been going to giantbomb almost everyday for the last year or so. I'd rather throw them some money than any large corporate game site like IGN or the like. Besides, the videos are still free. Quick looks and endurance runs are my favorite part.
TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheLastNeo
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @NumberFour said:
" They have some nerve asking for money.  I love the show but why should I pay for something that is their medium to promote the site? Get real. The beauty of the Internet is that if someone messes up, someone will be in the shadows waiting to take their place. "
OK, Mr. one post protest account.  "
HAHAHAHAHA... Nice 
NumberFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NumberFour
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @NumberFour said:

Self righteous much? Opinions are only relevant to how many posts you have, are they?

You understand a lot of people will be long time listeners of the show and not necessarily have accounts. But your opinion is that all those people should be ridiculed and alienated?
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RichardLOlson

Not sure if I will subscribe or not.

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StillVictor
@NumberFour: Sites don't run for free. Gamespot sold out to advertisers, threw away their credibility for survival. 1UP went through massive firings and lost all their talent. Both these sites used to be worth going to. Not anymore. Giantbomb chose another way - subscription based service. Time will tell if this is better or worse. 

But they are entitled to charge for content. It's up to people to decide if it's worth it for them or not. I think it is.
StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StillVictor
@spiffyXD:  I'm confused. How come you haven't subscribed?
NumberFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NumberFour
@StillVictor said:
But they are entitled to charge for content. It's up to people to decide if it's worth it for them or not.
That, I definitely agree with.
Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kajaah117
@the_hiro_abides said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @whitesox said:
" @Kajaah117 said:
" @Andorski said:
Absolutely. "
I agree. I've been going to giantbomb almost everyday for the last year or so. I'd rather throw them some money than any large corporate game site like IGN or the like. Besides, the videos are still free. Quick looks and endurance runs are my favorite part. "
You guys act like we're deliberately keeping money from them. I just don't have the money. If I could, I would be on my knees sucking their balls right this very second... but it doesn't work like that. I want to help and support this incredible group of people, but I literally can not. At least not now, and this is why the Bombcast ransom sucks. Why the arbitrary 10a.m. cutoff time? I'll give them my money when I can, but the Bombcast shouldn't suffer because some of us just don't have the money right now.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Kajaah117 said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @whitesox said:
" @Kajaah117 said:
" @Andorski said:
Absolutely. "
I CAN NOT AFFORD IT! If I had the money, it would be in their pocket right now. I can't afford Live, I can barely manage Netflix, and now I can't get my regular Bombcast... 

.... which brings me to the problem we all have with this: hypocrisy. They made a point of doing what they can to not divide the community or take away features from the free members and put them behind a paywall, but that's what this is. The poor people miss out on half the inside-jokes for a full week by not being able to listen to the full Bombcast. That's both segregation and feature-removal.  

If this paid service was just the additional features to go along with the standard GiantBomb experience it would be perfect, but retroactively butchering the heart and soul of the site, the podcast, goes against everything they said this paid subscription would mean. "
But you CAN afford Netflix and you CAN afford to buy games, otherwise why would you mention the first and be here?

It's a matter of deciding what to pay for and why.  Crying poor is just not logical and it definitely smacks of, wait for it, hypocrisy.  You're just annoyed that what used to be free AND convenient now is either one or the other, but not both.  The paid service does indeed add additional features and I'm sure you already know what they are.

@NumberFour said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @NumberFour said:

Self righteous much? Opinions are only relevant to how many posts you have, are they?  You understand a lot of people will long time be listeners of the show and not necessarily have accounts. But your opinion is that all those people should be ridiculed and alienated? "
First, nice ninja edit.  It doesn't change what you first said, nor does my making it clear that your one post protest account is a sham mean that all people with negative opinions against the subscription plan are to be ridiculed.  Hell, I didn't even do that to you.  All I said was OK.

On the other, what you said first is WHAT REALLY MATTERS because it's rather obvious that you feel you deserve free stuff because the Internet will provide.  Seems like you didn't notice the recession going on or the death of other blogs and news sites or the failure of web advertisers (aside from Google AdSense, but hey they also own the leading search engine) en masse.  Yeah, keep drawing from that well until it runs dry and then run to another well and do the same.  Eventually locusts like you will find that all you'll have to eat is eachother.