5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10 and the Bombcast goes free.

cafeldhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By cafeldhaus

You know, I just subscribed to keep the Bombcast free for everyone.  I think it is poor business to alienate the userbase and gate (if only temporarily) the best video game podcast and the best weekly content on GB.  I think it would have driven away new users by the score, and ultimately hurt all of GB and Whiskey.   

But I didn't subscribe for them, I did it for the poor schmucks and college kids (like I was not too long ago) who like the podcast but can't or wont pay.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Nobody lied to us. Okay? Besides, in a week this will all blow over and people will return to loving Giant Bomb because they will have found something else to bitch and complain about.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By VooDooPC

Where do I go to subscribe after I already made my multi-pass?

frsty13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By frsty13
@MattNaylor: Hate to break it to you man, but they don't.  Every single profitable gaming site is supported by ads, subscriptions, or some other form of revenue.  Money just doesn't fall into their pockets.  Some of those ads come in the form of previews etc I'm sure, but after the whole thing with Jeff and Gamespot before he helped start this site, I doubt that they would accept money for special coverage (see their stance on doing a review for Bastion).
Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Chuggsy

I threw down $5 for the cause.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By vitor
@VooDooPC: Just log out and try logging in again, it should take you to a page where you can do so.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By CL60
 @PrivateIronTFU said:
" Nobody lied to us. Okay? Besides, in a week this will all blow over and people will return to loving Giant Bomb because they will have found something else to bitch and complain about. "

@FateOfNever said:

" @Henrikhoe said:

" We are pissed because they lied straight to our face.   My respect just went down to 0. Also i dont like GB is all about the money. Things have changed. Yes they desvere money for what they do, but they get money for being a regular gaming site.  As i said, no respect for Dave lying to my face, and will now go back to using gametrailers and ign. "
You won't be missed.  They also didn't lie to you.  The bombcast will still be free for everyone; it's just that those that don't subscribe will get the second hour a week late - this will, thusly, only truly effect the first week it happens, if you don't subscribe, after that every week you'll still have two, or more, hours of bombcast.  Is it the most ideal situation for them to have to break the bombcast up?  No.  But as they said on the podcast talking about all of this, the bombcast, as it is now, takes up a lot of money due to all of the man hours involved, and if they didn't do this, odds are the bombcast would need to drop down to about an hour for everyone.  If you don't like it, that's fine, but they didn't really lie to you and they're not money grubbing bastards or anything.  Also - they don't get that much money for being a regular gaming website since they don't run ads the way every other gaming website does and they don't WANT to run ads like every other gaming website.  They will still have ads, but they don't want the site to become whored out to ads to the extent that many other gaming websites are.  If you haven't listened to the podcast that talks about all of this, I really suggest you do. "
They lied, stop saying they didn't. Just read Daves blog, he lied, simple as that.
apruncelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By apruncelle
@VooDooPC said:
" Where do I go to subscribe after I already made my multi-pass? "
Here
MattNaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By MattNaylor
@Sargus said:
" @Henrikhoe said:
I'm sick of people not realizing how this business stuff works. If you don't have the money to subscribe or just don't want to, that's perfectly fine. I understand, and the Whiskey guys do too... But don't throw a fit about it. "
 This right here is why developers treat the gaming audience like 10 year olds.  Any time the audience doesn't get exactly what they want they throw a group temper tantrum.  If I didn't know any better I'd think this board is populated by toddlers.  

Giant Bomb is a business.  They need to make money.  You have to pay money for things you like.  These are all facts of life, and all of the complaining in the world isn't going to change any of them.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#160  Edited By Driadon
@Terjay said:
" @ape_dosmil said:
"  You might have noticed there is almost no advertising on the site. "
Oh... Just you wait... "  
Dave actually shined some light on this: apparently it's hard for them to get ad deals for this site because, well, it's 99% hardcore players which are going to buy the games that have the budgets to advertise in the first place. 
Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#161  Edited By Henrikhoe

I just dont get why i should pay a gaming site money, when they review 10% of the games that come out yearly, they are always late with reviews, and very late with video reivews compared to other sites. Why should i pay gb money when i can get gaming related info faster on other sites. Maybe they should focus on getting better on that stuff, instead of being all about fun.

I just dont get it, but thats me.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162  Edited By zidane_24

http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/24119857736

Deadline extended to the 15th.

frsty13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By frsty13

Officially extended to the 15th.  This is a done deal.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@shoddyrobot said:
" @ISuperGamerI said:
" Would you guys say that most of you are only subscribing for the bombcast and not the other premium contents (i.e. HD videos)? It seems like a really lame tactic if you ask me. "
No, I honestly think most people signed up to simply support the site(s). "
I would love to support the site (it's my favourite game site) but I don't have money right now.
VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By VooDooPC
@Apruncelle said:
" @VooDooPC said:
Here "
When I sign in it just goes to the main Giantbomb site, it doesn't go to any billing information or anything like that.
Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Henrikhoe
@FateOfNever said:
" @Henrikhoe said:
" We are pissed because they lied straight to our face.   My respect just went down to 0. Also i dont like GB is all about the money. Things have changed. Yes they desvere money for what they do, but they get money for being a regular gaming site.  As i said, no respect for Dave lying to my face, and will now go back to using gametrailers and ign. "
You won't be missed.  They also didn't lie to you.  The bombcast will still be free for everyone; it's just that those that don't subscribe will get the second hour a week late - this will, thusly, only truly effect the first week it happens, if you don't subscribe, after that every week you'll still have two, or more, hours of bombcast.  Is it the most ideal situation for them to have to break the bombcast up?  No.  But as they said on the podcast talking about all of this, the bombcast, as it is now, takes up a lot of money due to all of the man hours involved, and if they didn't do this, odds are the bombcast would need to drop down to about an hour for everyone.  If you don't like it, that's fine, but they didn't really lie to you and they're not money grubbing bastards or anything.  Also - they don't get that much money for being a regular gaming website since they don't run ads the way every other gaming website does and they don't WANT to run ads like every other gaming website.  They will still have ads, but they don't want the site to become whored out to ads to the extent that many other gaming websites are.  If you haven't listened to the podcast that talks about all of this, I really suggest you do. "
They said nothing's going to change, if you can't grasp what change means, then i feel sorry for you.
apruncelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By apruncelle

By the way, this is a lot of stuff for a small company to put out without making money in some way. At least there's incentive, and a feeling of entitlement with memberships.

MattNaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By MattNaylor
@Henrikhoe said:
" I just dont get why i should pay a gaming site money, when they review 10% of the games that come out yearly, they are always late with reviews, and very late with video reivews compared to other sites. Why should i pay gb money when i can get gaming related info faster on other sites. Maybe they should focus on getting better on that stuff, instead of being all about fun. I just dont get it, but thats me. "
Then don't subscribe!
apruncelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By apruncelle
@VooDooPC said:

" @Apruncelle said:

" @VooDooPC said:
Here "
When I sign in it just goes to the main Giantbomb site, it doesn't go to any billing information or anything like that. "
Sorry, try here? When I was signed in I went to the page, went to manage account in the top right, then went from there. 

That page though has the right links for you regardless...
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By webby

I would pay if my Visa Electron worked on their site. Urgh :(. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By CL60
@frsty13 said:
" Officially extended to the 15th.  This is a done deal. "
Okay, to me this seems obvious that they are just trying to get people to subscribe by using the Bombcast. Which seems pretty dirty to me.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Deadline was extended to 15th. We are at 4.4k last update. Meaning there is a high chance we will hit 5k subs. 

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#173  Edited By ShadowVirus

Whiskey Media just posted on Twitter saying they're extending the date tot he 15th, but is it still 5,000 subscribers?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By vitor
@frsty13 said:
Already at 4.4K so we'll even get it before then I'm sure. 

Had a feeling the guys would turn around on the bombcast issue (even if indirectly like this). They know their userbase and the backlash was insane. Keeping the faith people - I did and they done good as expected.
Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Devildoll

okay so we need like 500 subscribers in 5 days , thats going to be impossible not to reach, YAY FREE BOMBCAST!

cafeldhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By cafeldhaus

And in turn we as consumers have a right to buy or not buy products, and complain about policies we don't like .

We should demand excellence from the products we support, and we should be opposed to.

And get results...

Whiskey Media (from Twitter).  
So once again, without consulting my co-workers (sorry guys!), I'm going to extend the deadline to the 15th for the reasons mentioned B4

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#177  Edited By monkyofdoom

5000 by the 15th is a no brainer. Bombcast for everyone!

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Regal
@Henrikhoe said:
" I just dont get why i should pay a gaming site money, when they review 10% of the games that come out yearly, they are always late with reviews, and very late with video reivews compared to other sites. Why should i pay gb money when i can get gaming related info faster on other sites. Maybe they should focus on getting better on that stuff, instead of being all about fun. I just dont get it, but thats me. "
Well this is Giant Bomb in a nutshell.  Since you signed up I would assume you would find some appeal in what they do.When you give them these tips on how they could become like the other sites (ie review more games, less goofing around) that seems to undo the whole point of it. 
Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Henrikhoe
@frsty13 said:
They know why they do this right? 

Its even worse, they are doing this so people will sign up, while they know they won't spilt up the bombcast. even if it was 4700 subs, they would not split it.
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By webby
@CL60 said:
" @frsty13 said:
Okay, to me this seems obvious that they are just trying to get people to subscribe by using the Bombcast. Which seems pretty dirty to me. "
Yea. I was thinking they would be like "well we have reached 4.5k or whatever and we are making it free anyway cause you are cool" or some shit. 
Ah well, would still subscribe just to support the site but they don't support my type of debit card and no PayPal.
VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By VooDooPC
@Apruncelle said:
" @VooDooPC said:

" @Apruncelle said:

" @VooDooPC said:
Here "
When I sign in it just goes to the main Giantbomb site, it doesn't go to any billing information or anything like that. "
Sorry, try here? When I was signed in I went to the page, went to manage account in the top right, then went from there.  That page though has the right links for you regardless... "
I tried that earlier, but that's for making a new account, which says my e-mail and user name are already used.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#182  Edited By hockeymask27

Sweet with the new extension i'll even be able to drop my hat in.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Buscemi

The validity of a statement will be based on the facts and the facts are that they said that nothing would change, now I don't really care because I won't be affected since I'm subscribing before the fifteenth anyway, but right should be right, right?

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By TheFreeMan

Those crafty bastards.

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@PrivateIronTFU said:

" Nobody lied to us. Okay? Besides, in a week this will all blow over and people will return to loving Giant Bomb because they will have found something else to bitch and complain about. "

From Dave Snider's blog from August 10th: 

"What am I going to lose if I don't buy any of this? Sorry, you must be thinking about someone else. We're in the not pissing off the Internet business. The site as you see it right now will remain largely unchanged." 

"What definitely won't be in the plan? Any sort of in-your-face hard sell. I've got the feeling most of you just want to support us and could care less about the features. That's great, we'll respect you back in the same way with not trying to do anything stupid when it comes to convincing you to make that decision."

Now, I dunno about you, but it seems to me that they have - the format has changed - a lot and they were never going to give us a hard sell - well, if we get 5k subscribers in the next 24hrs, we'll not change the bombcast. 

That's fucking lying  to our fucking faces. I understand that they need to create revenue, and I'm going to subscribe when I'm paid, but we were told, assured that nothing significant was going to change and they wouldn't split the user base, yet, here we are, split user base and the credibility of the site is now in question.
apruncelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By apruncelle
@VooDooPC said:
" @Apruncelle said:
" @VooDooPC said:

" @Apruncelle said:

" @VooDooPC said:
Here "
Sorry, try here? When I was signed in I went to the page, went to manage account in the top right, then went from there.  That page though has the right links for you regardless... "
I tried that earlier, but that's for making a new account, which says my e-mail and user name are already used. "
Ok...try billing after signing in?  https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/billing/
fakename50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By fakename50

That's pretty lame, my $50 isn't charity, part of it was for the bombcast and we all know the vast majority of the silver members are not going to renew after the first week.

theredace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By theredace

Seems that perhaps they never actually had the intention of splitting up the Bombcast, but figured it would be a good way to rally early support around subscriptions?  I'm okay with that.  Really want to subscribe but I'm on the fence as I just didn't have $50 in the planned budget.  Urgh.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By jozzy

I don't understand why they did it this way, and I think it will do damage in the long run. They either should've been more upfront in the beginning or explained the reasoning behind it better. It's a horrible idea to say: if we get 5000 subscribers the bombcast will be free for all. The people actually subscribing gain nothing by it, and it just segregates the userbase. And when they make it free you will devalue the whole subscription again, it's such a strange setup. I am disappointed in the lack of common (business sense) they seem to display on this whole thing.

I am fine supporting the site, as their content is totally worth it. But this whole ordeal worries me a bit.

@Henrikhoe: Fun are what most of us are here for I reckon, not reviews. I also feel that Quicklooks tell me more about if a game is for me then any review ever will.

Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Henrikhoe

I don't get why people don't understand how dirty this is, baiting with no splitted bombcast (WHICH SHOULD BE NOT SPLITTED ANYWAYS) for subs. 

its so dirty, it smells. I mean, come an people, wake up. If we have 4.7k they will say, okey because we listened to feedback, free bombcast, now they are just baiting. Its so awful. Fuck this

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#191  Edited By Baillie

I hope we don't make 5,000 in that time, just so you guys can cry more.

Spoonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Spoonman

Deep down i think all users, regardless of subscription, want  to support Ryan Davis and his endless pursuit of shennanigans. 

deyanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By deyanne

i kinda wanna say bravo for your marketing genius WM but fuck it i've had enough of all the hate, you're getting my money as soon as i have it cuz fuck it all after last night you're worth it.  
BIG LIVE LIVE SHOW LIVE= BEST MARKETING  EVER

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Buscemi
@deyanne: Uh. Kevin Butler is better.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By CL60
@Baillie said:
" I hope we don't make 5,000 in that time, just so you guys can cry more. "
You really don't understand anything do you?
thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By thaijedi
@hunkaburningluv: Very true I wonder how things would've turned out differently if they did not mess with the bombcast. I bet there would still be a brotherly mood around GB and no hatred would be directed towards them maybe a few hundred subscriptions less but still alot nonetheless
frsty13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By frsty13
@CL60 said:
" @frsty13 said:
Okay, to me this seems obvious that they are just trying to get people to subscribe by using the Bombcast. Which seems pretty dirty to me. "
I agree and I don't.  The whole thing with splitting the Bombcast was a two way thing.  With how long theirs runs, I can completely understand that their choice is to either cut it to half length, or use part of it as an incentive to subscribers.  I don't really know that they picked the lesser of the two evils so much as the one that made the most business sense, but I'd hardly call it dirty.
Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Buscemi
@CL60: He's not the only one, oh and I see you're hitting the big ten, uh, thousand. Congrats, man!
Gangway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#199  Edited By Gangway

Apparently  the deadline has been extended for Paypal to become active

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/deadline-extended/445620/#6 

hitting the 5,000 mark now seams likely

deyanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By deyanne
@Titus: gonna have to argue with that, Kevin Butler is a legend but nothing beats drunk Will Smith and Rorie