And So The Bombcast Marathon Begins!

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JoeH

So I wasn't around in the mythical days of old, when dragons roamed the lands and when the Bombcast was first forged. So I missed a lot of shenanigans, and this being some sort of colossal changed in the bombcast with a new schedule. I thought I should go back and study the ancient scriptures of the bombcast. So tomorrow I will start my Bombcast marathon, listening to at least, one Bombcast a day starting all the way back from when it all began... 

I may post back in this thread to exclaim comments about the shows if I feel the need to. And if any of you want to, feel free to join me!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't really see the need to, even though there might be a few memes you would miss out on from Bombcasts back in the old "taste test" days.  I've not heard all of them and I had started listening to it in late 2009.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says
@JoeH: this will only make you more bummed out that they want to split it
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

Even though the news is outdated, it's still great hearing their theories on developments, especially since you already know what happens later. 
Also if you enjoy the personality of the Giantbomb crew like I do, I say it's worth it.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By unchained

Start with the Arrow Pointing Down podcasts if you can still get them. It was a podcast that Ryan and Jeff did before the bombcast, but after they quit/left Gamespot. 

Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Noxpectius

Why not go even further then that if thats your plan. The Hotspot used to be pretty cool.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dtat

I've been following Giant Bomb since the very beginning, but there was a stretch in mid 2008 when I stopped listening to the bombcast (don't ask why, I don't really remember.) So every now and then I look on itunes for an episode I haven't heard and listen to it. It's a lot of fun if you don't mind hearing old news. I particularly find it funny to hear about rock band and guitar hero back before they got completely burned out on it.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror
@JoeH: youtube has a list of highlight audio clips of the bombcast, largely surrounding the moment famous and well known memes were first created. There's also an animated version of the clips which is stickied on general chat.
MAguilera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By MAguilera
@FluxWaveZ: Oh Taste Test . . . I miss you so much.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor
@JoeH said:
" So I wasn't around in the mythical days of old, when dragons roamed the lands and when the Bombcast was first forged. So I missed a lot of shenanigans, and this being some sort of colossal changed in the bombcast with a new schedule. I thought I should go back and study the ancient scriptures of the bombcast. So tomorrow I will start my Bombcast marathon, listening to at least, one Bombcast a day starting all the way back from when it all began...  I may post back in this thread to exclaim comments about the shows if I feel the need to. And if any of you want to, feel free to join me! "
I did the same thing when I first started listening to the Bonbcast - had been a member of the site for a while but never really thought I'd like to sit down and listen to a bunch of guys waxing lyrical about games. Boy was I wrong about that.  

I think they're still a lot of fun to listen to, despite being dated, especially if you've been keeping up with game news regularly for a while.
Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jothel

i go back and listen to random old podcasts and still enjoy them, i'm kinda jealous you get to hear all of this stuff for the first time

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By SBYM
@Noxpectus said:
" Why not go even further then that if thats your plan. The Hotspot used to be pretty cool. "
I still have all the HotSpot episodes from the very first one, up through the "GameSpot speaks" episode on my hard drive.
Broman6015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Broman6015

I go back and listen too to some of the old ones as well. There was one old one were it was still just Jeff and Ryan and they were talking about something Peter Molyneux said in an interview about how he was working on something that would "be on the cover of science magazines"...or something like that.  

Its cool hearing it again because at this point you know Peter was talking about Kinect.  

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By matthew
@JoeH: Yea, what this guy said - @Claude said:
" User Matthew has a lot of Bombcast breakdowns. It's almost as good as listening to the older ones. "
I'll link you here, it's the first one I did, and it's also the first time the guys started doing what they've come to be known for.  I've only done 30 of'em thus far, so I have a long ways to go...over 163 of them out there, but if nothing else, they're decent enough to read along with while you listen, or just straight up read if you can't spare 90+ minutes to listen to the fellas.
mangomonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mangomonger

i love listening to them try at predict what will happen to certain games/company/deals , jeff is surprising good at it

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Leptok
@SlashseveN303 said:
" Even though the news is outdated, it's still great hearing their theories on developments, especially since you already know what happens later. Also if you enjoy the personality of the Giantbomb crew like I do, I say it's worth it. "

Yup. 
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By ThePickle

I've listened to almost all of them more than once. The outdatedness doesn't bother me because they're so entertaining! 

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoeH

Thanks for all the advise guys. There are a few arrow pointing down casts on the bombast iTunes feed. And while the clip stuff looks good I think I'm gonna do it the old fashioned way, plus it makes me feel slightly omniscient having the advantage of hindsight.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By MichaelBach

Good luck, that's a lot of hours man!

pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pabsi9

I did the same man, got into GB after hearing Jeff on 1up with Garnett...holiday 2008..been a GB addict since.. starred to listen all of them n to be honest they just keep getting better n better..always wanted to support these guys or at least donate but since they went paid membership I signed up...really wish there was a lifetime membership

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattbosten

Did exactly the same thing mid-late 2009.

jacksonroye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jacksonroye

JoeH , 

I did the same thing about a year ago.  Went back and listened to them all.  It's fun because you get to hear some old jokes that still occasionally get call-backs.  I salute you in your quest for knowledge, sir! 

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By R3Qui4M

Go ahead listen to it. It is amazing as the old episodes are time capsules from 2 years back. I've listened to all bombcast 3 times over, their predictions were the best. Jeff predicted in July of 08 that Starcraft 2 would be out by the end of 2008, what a joke :-P