Audio software that Jeff once name-dropped on the Bombcast?

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kevinski

I seem to recall Jeff mentioning that there's a free program that he uses (or used to use) in order to clean up the Bombcast audio. I don't believe that there's much in the way of options in the software. I'm pretty sure that you just drag and drop the audio file into it, and it does various things to clean up and/or normalize the audio file. I don't believe that the software is updated anymore, nor has it been updated in a long time.

Anyone remember the name of this software?

EDIT: @brandondryrock found it.

Levelator. I use it for my podcast as well. It is really nice.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am pretty sure it is Audacity, and if that was not the one he mentioned it is still a good one to use.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you're looking for free audiosoftware, you can't go wrong with Audacity.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, it's not Audacity. It's a program that he, after putting everything through Audacity, would just drag and drop the file into in order to clean it up further.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brandondryrock

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure it's Levelator. Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So, what is this? Is it literally something that fine-tunes the audio levels, particularly for audio tracks with multiple sound sources? Does this make sense for single-person commentary tracks?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brandondryrock

@historyinrust: We use a Blue Snowball mic to record, so we're only using one sound source. It helps quiet loud moments, and raises the level on quieter moments. It would make sense to use for single-person commentary tracks. But I would double check timing. I don't know if I'm crazy, but it seems to increase the tempo of the audio file just a little bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@historyinrust: We use a Blue Snowball mic to record, so we're only using one sound source. It helps quiet loud moments, and raises the level on quieter moments. It would make sense to use for single-person commentary tracks. But I would double check timing. I don't know if I'm crazy, but it seems to increase the tempo of the audio file just a little bit.

Very cool. Thanks for the explanation!

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I always wondered why they wouldn't use something good. They seem to always mention the podcast crashing from time to time, I expected CBSi to run ProTools in their podcast studio. It's easy, it's reliable, and it's the industry standard for audio recording.