Bombcast, more like BORECAST....i have my reasons.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mountain_flames
Mountain_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mountain_flames

I have been listening to the podcasts for some time and it is the main reason i check the site (that and quicklooks. News coverge is not very good on this site (a few articles 'here' and 'there' - sometimes nothing every other day) and i often think, "Ok, they do the podcast and they record the quick looks, 3 or 4 a week (maybe)...what's happening the rest of the time...eating pancakes and resting up?...i don't know!). Oh, and TNT...but they must get away with 3 hours work per day (wonder if anyone is there to say: GET OFF THE CHAIR AND DO SOMETHING!....PUT THE CAKES DOWN AND RIGHT AN ARTICLE OR REVIEW LONGER THAN HALF A PAGE) i wish my job was like this..."oh what are we going to do this week"...."oh, i know, we'll get the pancakes out and sit there thinking about what we might do for TNT or a quicklook.

Anyhoo...

I have written a review length paragraph and have wandered off topic

back to it: Bombcast, more like BORECAST....i have my reasons.

Yeah, its a borecast.

It used to be fun, a real laugh, something to listen to on the train, or when out for a walk, or while going to sleep. For the last few months its been as dull as the darkest cloud in the sky painted black.

There is no structure to it, they used to start with what they had been playing, and then move on to previews and talk about reviews and maybe go off topic (but usually still talking about games - arcade machines, shows they had/were going to!), then emails.

Bring back the Nintendo dlc lists for dsi/3DS!!!!!

Now when you tune in to BOMBCAST, there is 40 minutes of NOTHING.

"It's TUUUUUEEEEEESSSSSSDDDDDAAAAYYYYYY.............................................................................yeah,.............yep...................................................(5 minutes later).................YEAH!!!..................................................................Jeff's here..................................................yeah............yeah........Vinny..........................................Brad.................Yip.........Yeah...............................................................Then after some random laughter over nothing.............(the magic happens!)..................Ryan: SO, a.....TACO-BELL.....right, am i right guys?...............T A C O BELLLLLLLL!!!!!!!..........YEAH.............yep.......Yeah....

So Vinny, what-cha-been playin'?

Vinny: "oh.....errr...............nothing much......Ghost recon 1 on PC"

----------------------------------

So......yeah................NOW I'M DOING IT

What i mean is that, instead of having 2-5 - 3 hours of 'nothing to say' - cut the podcast down to 1-5 to 2 hours where it doesn't drag as much (i used to be happy to see it have a run time twice that of other podcasts, but its lost something along the way).

At least other podcasts seem to plan a bit for what they are going to say and the topics they are going to focus on but with Giantbomb-cast, they seem to be sitting in the room for 3 hours with one eye on the clock saying words to get them to the time of 2 hour plus (a bit like writing a 4000 word essay....you use more words to explain, and more detail but alot may not be needed for what you are trying to say, but you have to get to 4000 words.)

I know i will get alot of hate from the GIANTBOMBcast fans who will probably argue that i should love the sound of Ryan or Jeffs heavy breathing over a mic when pretty much nothing else is going on. There will be alot of you who say 'i like it when they go of topic, its the randomness that makes it great, i love hearing them jabber on about food and how to make the perfect pasta...etc..etc'.

I just think it's becoming a challenge to listen to it all now as they all sound bored doing it. (Sure, if there is a lack of games out in these quiet months no one would blame them to shorten the length of the recording).

Theres just too much filler, to much dead air and not enough to keep me for one listening.

There are other podcasts out there which i used to think were not as good but i now like a few of them better, they are 1-2 hours long, have a structure, change things up every few weeks or months, bring in guests, play games, tell jokes, and they can also go off topic and make it funny.

Anyway, do not be offended as i won't be to any if any replies follow. Its only my opinion and i might be wrong.

These are just some suggestions to make the podcast better (i can't be the only one of your 100+ listeners ^) who finds its not as good as it was 6 months ago.

Thanks for reading.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

Don't like Bombcast?

Don't Eat.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ramone

Amazing

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I actually think the podcast is the one piece of content that is as strong as it was before the CBS merger. It's the video content that has suffered. Even TNT is only slowly ramping up to somewhere close to where it was.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AltonBrown

Stop listening then.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CaLe

Why you listen thing you no like?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator
No Caption Provided
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Turambar

Thanks for the input.  I personally hope they don't listen to any of it though.

Mountain_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mountain_flames

@CaLe said:

i USED to like it alot and would look forward to it, i have started listening to it days after it goes up, before i would get it as soon as it was ready.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Phatmac

Sucks for you then! I'm loving the bombcast right now and will continue to do so!

Mountain_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mountain_flames

@Turambar said:

Thanks for the input. I personally hope they don't listen to any of it though.

I don't expect they will. They will be too busy for stupid feedback from Joe Nobody.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

@Mountain_flames: I can't even be bothered to try and convince you why you're wrong, but you should work on your post formatting.

Anyway, welcome to the site! Great way to get yourself started, I'm sure you'll make tons of solid and extensive contacts.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaLe

@Mountain_flames said:

@CaLe said:

i USED to like it alot and would look forward to it, i have started listening to it days after it goes up, before i would get it as soon as it was ready.

It's no change much in many time. You change much! Mind, it change, yes? Change with time.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Mountain_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mountain_flames

@Tylea002 said:

Don't like Bombcast?

Don't Eat.

I think that might be the thing to do. last few weeks i have been eating some and pushing the plate to the middle of the table and going for a stroll.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Nev

The most recent podcast's have been some of my favorites in quite some time. I hope they keep on keepin' on.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jjnen

I wish they would record the podcast in a hot air balloon but they have to use a studio for that stuff. Fucking CBSi...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rafaelfc

I could not disagree with you more. I see what you mean, but I think the bombcasts of late have been pretty good, maybe not their best ever, but still I was thoroughly entertained.

Coll Billy Corgan avatar tho!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

Nope

Mountain_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mountain_flames

@Sweep said:

No Caption Provided

Even the mods are too busy to write anything. Just copy a photo. Cool (i have that same jumper!)

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By The_Nubster

You're not a premium member, so you wouldn't have seen the Radio Show, where they explained a lot of what was taking up their time, why they don't do more produced videos anymore, what the structure at CBSi is like, etc.

It's not a knock against you, and I don't mean to rub in premium memberships, but they did shed a lot of light on way things are so slow starting back up again. Although Vinny made it pretty clear he held the same opinion as a lot of users (in that he isn't happy with the rate that video content is going up), so I trust they'll get back into it full-swing soon.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kindgineer

@Mountain_flames said:

Anyway, do not be offended as i won't be to any if any replies follow. Its only my opinion and i might be wrong.

I think you compare Giantbomb to GameStop in your head which is employed by 10's (if not 100's of people) which is why Giantbomb may seem empty. This site does not fill itself to the rafters with non-sense bullshit. We have a respectable man by the name of Patrick Klepek who really delivers in the articles and a great team that pushes great content on a daily basis. I feel the word "entitlement" really comes forth with posts like this. Especially when the person doesn't have a silver nor a gold medal under their avatar.

TL;DR:

@Sweep said:

No Caption Provided
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo

How many people are on it nowadays?

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Mijati
@Sesiras said:

The most recent podcast's have been some of my favorites in quite some time. I hope they keep on keepin' on.

Came in here to say this, awesome podcast. While it would be nice to have a little more game talk in there at points it's still my favourite podcast to listen to and I don't want them to get rid of the things that they're doing at the moment.  The Game of Year discussions at the end of the year is what, 10+ hours of pure game discussion in depth, those podcasts are great and having an entirely gaming focused podcast each and every week would make that feel less special.
Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Welding

@Mountain_flames said:

(i can't be the only one of your 100+ listeners ^)

You seriously think more than 100 people listen to the bombcast? Pasha, man! C'mon, stay realistic.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tim_the_corsair

@Mountain_flames: I mean this in the nicest way possible, but are you a moron or do you just have some kind of illness that makes you write and format posts like one?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By august

@Welding said:

@Mountain_flames said:

(i can't be the only one of your 100+ listeners ^)

You seriously think more than 100 people listen to the bombcast? Pasha, man! C'mon, stay realistic.

That's million listeners.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BrockNRolla

In the many years I've been listening to the Bombcast there has rarely been a time when I've found myself disliking the cast. Is it all about in-depth news and game coverage? No, most of the time it isn't. There are other podcasts that do more of that coverage. The Bombcast is about randomness and personality. I've stopped listening to more than a couple gaming podcasts over the years (The Hotspot for instance) because I couldn't stand them. If you don't like this one, you should find another, but I wouldn't say anything about the Bombcast is any different than it has always been.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Trilogy

Sorry, but I love the bombcast and I always have. It's by far my favorite podcast and I've listened to plenty. I'm not sure you understand what the definition of "Dead air" is. Go listen to some more amateur podcasts and prepare to cringe. Also, I'm pretty sure you're trolling.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LikeaSsur

Well, it is the middle of summer, and absolutely nothing good has come out.

You want entertaining Bombcasts (like "6 months ago")? Then listen from October to April, when all the big hits are coming out, there's E3 to discuss, Game of the Year award shows. That should be more of what you're looking for.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

TLDR I like the bombcast so I wouldn't have agreed with you anyways.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SexyToad

I like it...

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FateOfNever

@dcgc said:

Wow, what's with all the "don't listen if you don't like it", "your opinion is your opinion" or "your opinion is stupid"? Relax, will ya? He did not say he didn't like, he's just expressing his thoughts and concerns about the bombcast. You may agree with him or not. If so, a pat in the shoulder; if not, then provide arguments or your opinion about this matter.

I actually agree with the OP, maybe because I'm not American and some discussions or conversations about things that are not videogames in the bombcast, don't ring any bells to me. I don't really mind it but it just drags for too long, and podcast after podcast with 3 hours, and with off-topic stuff that doesn't matter to me at all, I just have to forward to the main part of the show (games played by staff, news and discussion about the industry).

One of the biggest reasons for so little game discussion, at least for right now, is that no games are coming out. There have been weeks in the last couple of months where nothing new comes out, or where there's only a single new release, and it's not even something they'd want to talk about for long for whatever reason. Blame the gaming industry.

That said, the off topic stuff is some of the best stuff. The gaming talk is great and everything, but if they're talking about a game I just watched a quick look for and just read a review for, they're not going to say anything I don't already know because they already told me about it, twice.

As for some feedback from other people, most of that is valid. Don't listen if you don't like it is completely valid. By not listening to it you show them that you are no longer interested in listening to it. They may not know the reason why, which is fine enough to say why, but if you don't like it but continue to listen to it, you're really not telling them anything important to make them change it because, guess what, you're still listening t it. Your opinion is your opinion is also true. It's basically say "That's your opinion. I may disagree with it, but you're entitled to your opinion all the same." It may not be super constructive, but, considering many of the posts from the OP here so far, I honestly don't know how much of a constructive conversation would actually happen. I mean, he thinks that all the guys do is sit around and eat food and that they only do 3 hours of work in a single day, which is absolutely ridiculous and honestly, I feel, rather insulting towards the GB crew. He also goes on with hyperbole, as I would heavily debate there being 40 minutes of dead silence on the bombcast.

I also agree with some other people in this topic that the bombcasts in recent weeks have probably been some of the best bombcasts in a while.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Nux

@Sesiras said:

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Honest I listen to bombcast just to hear them talk. The bombcrew could make anything sound interesting. At least, in my opinion.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By AngelN7

@dcgc said:

Wow, what's with all the "don't listen if you don't like it", "your opinion is your opinion" or "your opinion is stupid"? Relax, will ya? He did not say he didn't like, he's just expressing his thoughts and concerns about the bombcast. You may agree with him or not. If so, a pat in the shoulder; if not, then provide arguments or your opinion about this matter.

I actually agree with the OP, maybe because I'm not American and some discussions or conversations about things that are not videogames in the bombcast, don't ring any bells to me. I don't really mind it but it just drags for too long, and podcast after podcast with 3 hours, and with off-topic stuff that doesn't matter to me at all, I just have to forward to the main part of the show (games played by staff, news and discussion about the industry).

Yeah I feel the same somtimes, they talk a lot about restaurant chains and stuff that if you're not north american it doesn't really mean anything to you , is not their fault of course and people love when they talk about that stuff rather than videogames, I've been skiping more bombcast recently just a quick look at the topics in the Bombcast page is enough to keep me away from it when there's like 20 min of videogame talk and an hour of Chick-fil-A or some other north american fast food restaurant.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By AndrewB

Exaggerated fact: there's been more personal talk on the Bombcast lately than there has been about video games.

Opinion: I'd like to see them get back to talking about new game releases.

Conceding point: there hasn't been a lot of significant new releases for awhile.

However: there have been more than has been covered by the staff, and in lieu of there being a dearth to cover otherwise, content could have been more expansive.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoLines

I feel the organic feel my brother. Spread it all over your body. Bombcast.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Last few bombcasts have been quite lackluster, but I blame the slow release months for that. I really don't want to listen to an hour long discussion about their internet providers or this and that restaurant. It's not that I don't understand why they do it, it's their podcast and they can talk about whatever they want, it's just that I do not care. I still like their video game discussion, though.

I just wish they started talking about video games faster - and not after 40 minutes of random crap I can not relate to.

Edit: also I can't be bothered to give two shits about their old arcade cabinets - but that's just me. I just skip right through that. Other people like listening to it and that's all fine with me.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#42  Edited By Soap

If you don't like it, don't listen. Simple as that.

Personally I like it the way it is, it's obviously not fake or over excitable just for the sake of it, it's just some guys hanging out talking about stuff. Hell sometimes the best stuff is when they dont talk about games for ages.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By JoeyRavn

I have my reasons to have my reasons. I have my reasons.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By august

@JoeyRavn said:

I have my reasons to have my reasons. I have my reasons.

Unreasonable!

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By valiantgrizzly

@Soap said:

Hell sometimes the best stuff is when they dont talk about games for ages.

I agree. Sometimes. But their worst stuff is when they don't talk about games for ages, as well. It's real hit-or-miss.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cloudenvy

Your post formatting is the worst.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fattony12000

'I've said it before and I'll say it again'...so I'll say it again...I guess...

I like Jeff.

I like Ryan.

I like Vinny.

I like Brad.

I like Drew.

I like Patrick.

I like hearing words come out of these people's mouths and then go into my brain.

I like the Bombcast, and I can't complain about all these free hours of free delicious content.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By killacam

THAT"S NOT EVEN A GOOD PLAY ON WORDS

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Alexander

The recent one with Drew and The Buzzer was fantastic. Best one of the year for me. That said there have been some, and there always will be, that aren't as interesting as others. That's how it goes, they can't all be gems.

[edit] I'd like to see more sick days for the regular crew and more Drew.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Zleunamme

"I" is always capitalized. If you are actually paying attention to the site. Patrick has been out and there hasn't been many new releases for them to talk about. Giant Bomb doesn't spend their time re-hashing press releases to fill up their new section. I find it entertaining when they talk about non-video game topics on the Bombcast. If you don't like listing to the Bombcast, you can listen to something else.