Bombcast Transcriptions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5925b625d5da1
deactivated-5925b625d5da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was talking with a friend and we were thinking about transcribing old Bombcasts. Has anyone tried this before? Does anyone have any of the old shows transcribed?

Thanks for the help!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Considering the other insane things people do in this community, I wouldn't be surprised. With that said, I don't recall any posts specifically mentioning doing so.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More power to you, but that's one hell of a time commitment.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By joshwent

As someone who's done actual transcription work in the past, I should warn you that, even with professional software and pedal controls, transcribing even one 3 hour Bombcast would take a really damn long time.

It would be great to have transcriptions. Especially as an easy way to search for specific titles to see in which episodes they're discussed. But again, it doesn't seem like it, but transcription is very, very time consuming. There's a reason that people train to do it professionally.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I can't imagine how difficult and time consuming transcribing the Bombcast would be, especially since there is often more than one person speaking at the same time.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ViciousReiven

Instead of full transcriptions it might be a better idea to do make a wiki that gives an outline and timecodes to the discussions on that episode along with some choice quotes, it's still a lot of work but it wouldn't be as time consuming as typing out and spellchecking every single word.

Another podcast I listen to, Uhh Yeah Dude has this crazy fan called Weck who created exactly that for them, every episode page details each discussion and categorizes common themes and segments, take a look at one of the pages here to see what I mean:

http://archive.uhhyeahdu.de/episodes/episode-197

Having something like that for Giant Bomb would be dope as hell.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@viciousreiven: There was some duder who was doing just that, but my shitty memory is failing me as to the specifics. It was like a blog post breaking down what was talked about with links.

I think it may have been like 1.5 - 2 years ago? Anyone with a better brain than mine remember?

Avatar image for deactivated-5925b625d5da1
deactivated-5925b625d5da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove yeah I just took a look at my podcast app and we are looking at about 480 episodes.

@joshwent Yeah we were thinking about using a combination of Amazon Mechanical Turk, speech to text software, and myself on pedal typing. I've done professional transcriptions before and I know we would be looking at thousands of dollars of investment. Maybe we would just do a few of the newer episodes as a test.

@mb Yeah especially during the E3 shows. Those would be impossible.

@viciousreiven This is amazing. Even doing a small amount of what they are doing would be awesome.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

givemesnacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Google is now automatically transcribing podcasts and indexing those words for search. I believe this is only on the Google Podcasts app, which is only for Android. I don't have any Android devices.

Anyone with an Android care to see if the Bombcast is getting transcribed?