Dan's growing on me.

Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

"I don't think it's social barriers that are keeping people from eating poop." - Dan Ryckert

Good show overall! I like bringing in of guests who aren't "one of the gang" already. But don't get me wrong I do like when they do show up.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I enjoy his raw, child-like enthusiasm for stuff. Like, when he was describing that Japanese robot restaurant on last week's podcast, it was pretty great.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So far Dan has been an absolutely fantastic addition. I assume Jason's doing well too because videos aren't exploding when I hit play (seriously, they should get him to do a segment on UPF sometime).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NTM

He was entertaining to listen to on Game Informer, it doesn't surprise me here. He can say a lot of immature sounding stuff, but I like that. He is also often times enthusiastic about games when it seems like many others aren't, at least from what I know. I'm surprised to hear you say he's growing on you, unless you never went to GI.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been watching some of the stuff he did at game informer and he's already proven himself as fine hire to me. Glad he's on board the Gb train.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Dan is pretty damn awesome.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I enjoy his raw, child-like enthusiasm for stuff.

@ntm said:

He is also often times enthusiastic about games when it seems like many others aren't, at least from what I know.

This, all the way.

The older GB folks are often called out as being overly negative. In fact, that seemed to be the general theme of people's reactions to their last E3 coverage. Honestly, I don't see it, as I think they're more just selectively enthusiastic about what they love and realistic about expectations for other things.

But Dan's vivacious enthusiasm seems to be affecting everyone else too. The future of Giant Bomb is looking bright.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he and I are like one because of his love for Twisted Metal I can never hate a guy that loves wrestling and Twisted Metal, Never.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

As one of the "old guys" (been here since day one) I have to say... Dan is awesome. I love the fact that he is so damn enthusiastic about the stuff he likes. He also seem to try very hard to succeed, but doesn't fly into a fit when he doesn't. Seeing him playing fighting games against Jeff on UPF was really fun, as you could see how intensely he concentrated. He's also pretty damn funny! Jason also seems like a cool guy, hope he get more in front of the camera eventually.

So with both of them and the old crew pumping out content and BEAST getting up to speed... this is going to be so good!
(As an aside, since the Bombcast thread is locked and I haven't listened to it yet, I hope the "forgotten N64 lineup they talk about includes Mischief Makers. 'cause that game is awesome, and it seems no one knows about it!)

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think there was a period, that is still ongoing, of him getting into the groove of GB. Stuff that anyone would have to do, very few people will have instant chemistry with others so I didn't expect for him to just start as another one of the crew. His overall enthusiasm is nice too as while I didn't mind that much the bombcrew had been fairly negative of late. Looking forward to more stuff from him, also from Jason as he seems like a cool dude and it's awesome that GB finally has a big fighter fan.

I am terribly worried that every UPF will devolve in Wrestling Weekly between Dan and Jeff though.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Dan hasn't needed to grow on me because the dude is fucking amazing. :P

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke

@joshwent said:

@bisonhero said:

I enjoy his raw, child-like enthusiasm for stuff.

@ntm said:

He is also often times enthusiastic about games when it seems like many others aren't, at least from what I know.

This, all the way.

The older GB folks are often called out as being overly negative. In fact, that seemed to be the general theme of people's reactions to their last E3 coverage. Honestly, I don't see it, as I think they're more just selectively enthusiastic about what they love and realistic about expectations for other things.

But Dan's vivacious enthusiasm seems to be affecting everyone else too. The future of Giant Bomb is looking bright.

these, seriously so glad and so happy with Dan as the new hire that childlike enthusiasm was what GB definitely needed . the one piece quick look is one of the funnier quick looks in a long long time id say.

Dan, and GB NYC, have been terrific additions and changes to GB as a whole.

as for E3, i think it was more after E3 was where they got overly critical, during E3 and during the press conferences they were very excited about everything they saw

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you're ever in doubt about Dan's awesomeness, you should check out his work on the Game Informer Replay & Super Replay video series. Dude's always been my favourite there – the way he gleefully revels in dumb shit was always the best thing about those GI videos – so the fact he's here now has made Giant Bomb content that little bit more of a one stop shop for some of my fave gaming personalities.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By triumvir

Dude seems okay. Every now and again he'll say something that will seriously take me aback, like admitting to not knowing something crazy obvious about video game culture and history or, well, stuff in general. It makes me value his opinion less, but he's enthusiastic, jives well with the rest of the crew, and he's pretty funny on camera.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi
Dan Ryckert is America
Dan Ryckert is America

Dan Ryckert is Videogames
Dan Ryckert is Videogames

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

His enthusiasm fills in the Vinny shaped hole in the bombcast, in a way. Don't get me wrong, no one could ever replace the Italian Stallion, but it's nice to still have someone who just gets excited about shit around.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I've followed Dan since his early GI days, and he's great. One of the funniest guys around, and he loves video games. Can't ask for more!

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him a lot, but I remember Ryan describing Saints Row: The Third as being like it was "taking place inside Dan Ryckert's mind".

I feel a little disappointed after this endorsement, I guess he just needs a little time to settle into the new office.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19 rmanthorp  Moderator

@robsamuel: Oh who could live up to that description?! I remember Ryan saying that now that you mention it. Poor Dan ahahah.

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By von_wemberg

@robsamuel: Do you remember if Ryan said it on a podcast or a quick look?

And yeah, Dan is growing on me as well :)

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By robsamuel

@von_wemberg: It was the Bombcast. I'll try and track it down.

Edit: Incredibly I found it right away.

Bombcast 11-01-2011 at 12 mins

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dan is pretty great.

Loading Video...

Cicatriz77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cicatriz77
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Dan's growing on you? Growing? Oh you still have much to learn young padawan. Dan has been awesome for years and I was beyond stoked when it was finally/officially revealed that Dan was the new hire. Also I couldn't be happier that Jason was the new behind the scenes guy. I know Jason, like Dan, from GI where he stood for the video production side of things. Jason didn't have super many appearances on camera but he always seemed super knowledgeable and I couldn't be happier.

One thing I really like about GI, and that I used to like about GB, is that they are super enthusiastic about video games and that's rare in video game journalism. It's weird that it's difficult to find people that actually find enjoyment in the video games in video game journalism, but people seem to be super jaded towards the whole industry. But GI still likes to play video games, especially Dan, and so did GB also to begin with but I feel like they have become a bit jaded and bored with the whole thing over the last 2 years. Granted they have had some good reasons to be less enthusiastic, but I think Dan and Jason plus G-beast are a sign of things finally getting back on track.

These last two weeks has been a return to form if you ask me. It reminds me of the enthusiasm GB used to have back in the old basement and photobombing Brad days. Exciting stuff is happening and I'm sure it's only going to get better as we move forward.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@l4wd0g said:

Dan is pretty great.

Loading Video...

This should be on the front page of every website. All of them.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer
No Caption Provided

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chumm

Dan is too much Jeff and not enough Ryan/Vinny/Drew/Dave. He seems like an alright guy, but we already have a Jeff; we've lost all of the most interesting members of the Bombcast except Drew, in my opinion. That said, Dan's campaign to get fast food brands to follow him on twitter is psychotic in a way I can get behind, so maybe there's just more personality that needs to make its way out!

Idle Thumbs has been killin it, as has The Crate and Crowbar, if anyone else is feeling similarly fatigued.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems a good fit, just hoping he losens up a bit on quick looks as he settles, right now his quick look contributions are very dry and matter of fact and feel more like he's there representing the game as an EX look instead of bringing the personality he does in the bombcast or upf. That could just be me unfairly comparing him to the Vinagawa shaped hole left in the West office though.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should go see a doctor. People growing on your body is not a sign of healthiness.

He's great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The amount of food he hasn't tried, very basic types of food at that, is astounding.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like Dan, he fits in well.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

The amount of food he hasn't tried, very basic types of food at that, is astounding.

I'm a guy who eats to survive, and never go outside my comfort zone when it comes to food. I just have no interest in trying much new in that department. So I know how he feels (and that feeling is wonderful!).

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#35 fisk0  Moderator

I'm really looking forward to the day they introduce him to Gang Beasts and Windjammers.

Cashewual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope there's a follow-up on Dan's expanding eating habits.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@amyggen said:

@humanity said:

I'm a guy who eats to survive, and never go outside my comfort zone when it comes to food. I just have no interest in trying much new in that department. So I know how he feels (and that feeling is wonderful!).

I used to think I was a very picky eater until I heard Dan on the Bombcast.

I really hope they do the Feeding Dan segment, although sadly I doubt it..

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

He had me at extremely weird eating habits. Welcome aboard, man!

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan reminds me of a more socially awkward Vinny, which is kind of great.

ThornBlackstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ill be the odd one out and say im not a fan so far, but its a transitional period so ill see how this weeks bombcast fairs.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#41 MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't like the way he says ketchup. The E sounds more like an A, which makes it sound like he's saying "catch up".

That is literally the only negative thing I can think to say about Dan right now. That probably says way more on my opinion about him than saying anything positive could.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is doing fine, he's funny, has some new insights and hobbies, and is doing a good job filling in for Vinnie (not that anyone could replace Vinnie).

Bringing on more guests could definitely turn into an even more interesting Bombcast, more viewpoints and opinions helps get the conversation flowing, and takes a bit of the pressure off the regular guys.

All in all the new hires look to be working out just fine!

Siman_Shinsafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

He was entertaining to listen to on Game Informer...

Very much so, when the rumor started that he would be the new hire I found out about Game Infomrer's video content and am now a fan. While I prefer Tim Turi what GB needs after last year is someone with high energy and Dan is the personification of that.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"There was too much text in Harvest Moon so I just stopped playing after 5 minutes."

Beautiful. I'm really like Dan as well.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's weird eating habits stress me out

AndyKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he starts growing on me soon, I role my eyes every time he brings up pro wrestling. Which is every time he speaks.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's weird eating habits stress me out

The end of that conversation left me wondering what types of food he *has* eaten. I guess I was lucky enough to grow up with a family that ate decently diverse foods and then as an adult I filled in the rest of the blanks for myself. I've even recently tried liver again on multiple occasions, and it's fiiiiine as long as it's cooked by someone who knows how to cook it and served in a reasonably small portion.

@mattyftm said:

I don't like the way he says ketchup. The E sounds more like an A, which makes it sound like he's saying "catch up".

That is literally the only negative thing I can think to say about Dan right now. That probably says way more on my opinion about him than saying anything positive could.

As long as he's not saying "Cat-sup," he's fine in my book.

@fisk0 said:

I'm really looking forward to the day they introduce him to Gang Beasts and Windjammers.

I bet it turns out that he's secretly the best at both games.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb: I will pretty much eat anything and everything, if I don't like someone it's because I've eaten some of that exact food before and didn't like it. But i have a friend like Dan that stresses the hell out of me because he won't eat some specific things. Like he wont eat any type of sauce whatsoever even though I know for a fact he would like it. Like I know he loves tomatoes, tomato flavoured crisps, tomato soup, tomato bases on a pizza but he refuses to eat tomato ketchup!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Refusing to eat it is only slightly better than the people who flat-out say they don't like it even though they've never tried it. I'm fine with you legitimately not liking something if it's offensive to your taste buds, but at least legitimately try it without trying to force yourself to believe you don't like it. That's when I find it best to break out the method of giving them food they say they don't like without telling them what it is.

Also, Ketchup kind of sucks and isn't the most tasty condiment, but I still find it hard to believe that anyone could legitimately find the taste offensive.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb: Yeah it was stressing me out when Dan said he had eaten all those packs of mac n cheese until he found out they had sauerkraut in them and he chucked them out, that is something my friend would do. I'm like Y U DO DIS!! If you can eat it and you like it then you LIKE IT.

I like ketchup but you're right in that it's kinda like mayo where I can see some people not really caring about it one way or another but to actively be disgusted by it does not compute.