Do you skip the postcard section from the Beastcast?

• 135 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
Edited 1 year, 10 months ago

Poll: Do you skip the postcard section from the Beastcast? (1139 votes)

No, I love kisses and Mario Sunshine is a good game dammit! 45%
Yes, I am a soulless husk that hates kisses and eats popcorn out of the trash! 40%
Just show me the results. 15%

Sadly I am an awful person that skips Jeff's kisses. I feel bad for doing it but when it takes up 15 minutes plus of the Beastcast that seems like too much. Well wishes to all the people that find the time to send a postcard into the Beastcast but I got several other podcast to get through. I'm not saying Beastcast should ditch the segment because they wisely put it at the end of the show but I am curious how many people listen to Jeff Bakalar and the rest of the Beast Crew kiss complete strangers.

#51 Posted by Jeremy808 (91 posts) -

I usually tend to start to tune out or lose interest once the podcast starts the email/corrections/postcard/kisses portion.

I think a lot of the emails that get sent in and read aren't that good, the post cards section is lame. I don't know. The only bad part about skipping it is sometimes they tend to include some banter in between and then that gets referenced next week or becomes some sort of running gag throughout pods later. So now because you didn't listen to arguably the lamest part of the pod, you're not in on the joke later. Soooo.. yeah, i don't know.

#52 Posted by cloudymusic (2132 posts) -

I don't listen to it. People writing in to say "please shout me out on-air" or "please read this message I've written for you, directed at my significant other" isn't exactly super interesting to me.

#53 Posted by RetroMetal (871 posts) -

Yes!

#54 Posted by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

I do find it funny how Jeff Bakalar's kissing the cheek of anyone who is having a birthday for the week of the show spun into this whole segment that takes up over ten minutes of the show. That said I got several podcast that usually come out on Friday but I listen to Beastcast first since it is topical. Towards the end of the show I am antsy to listen to With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus or it will be put on the back burner because I don't typically listen to podcast on the weekend.

#55 Posted by dafdiego777 (300 posts) -

I just listen for Dan's weird kissing noise. It makes me crack up every time.

#56 Edited by L33T_HAXOR (939 posts) -

Yes, getting kissed on the cheek is gross.

#57 Posted by officer_falcon (526 posts) -

@cloudymusic said:

I don't listen to it. People writing in to say "please shout me out on-air" or "please read this message I've written for you, directed at my significant other" isn't exactly super interesting to me.

Basically this. At least they regulate it to the end and announce it so it's easy for me to just end the podcast there.

#58 Posted by poveren (320 posts) -

50/50

#59 Edited by hermes (2619 posts) -

I hear it, although sometimes I speed it up if I see it is going nowhere for long sections... It is a section that lend itself for most of the cast going into weird segues, which is a good thing in my book.

@jorojoserojas said:

Being weirded out by kisses on the cheek must be a cultural thing, since that's just how me and my family and most friends just say hi to each other.

As far as I know, its a North American/anglo-saxon thing. In many Latin American countries, a kiss on the cheek is the default greeting outside of most formal interactions.

#60 Edited by gram1124 (35 posts) -

As someone who gets through work with podcasts even if the beastcast was 99% postcards & emails i'd be a very happy boy. Any additional mic time from the duders is just gravy on top imo

#61 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3890 posts) -

I haven't gone back and checked it but it feels like the corrections section used to be longer. That more corrections got addressed. Same with emails. Could be I'm wrong, could be that the level of quality corrections/emails has dropped but it sure seems like there's a possibility that the postcard section is taking time away from the email/corrections section, which are both sections that I enjoy a lot more.

Of course - the week I start to think that is the week only a single postcard made it in.

#62 Posted by Memu (454 posts) -

This is a regular segment now? Generally I will just let a podcast play out unless it gets annoyingly stupid with inane banter. When I heared Vinny say something like "Jeff, why don't you give soandso a kiss on the cheek". I am like WTF is this shit? <click>

Beastcast is losing me. Talk more about games, please.

#63 Posted by warpr (213 posts) -

I listen to the kisses on the check segment, and Mario Sunshine is not a good game.

I don't listen to the postcard segment, and Mario Sunshine is a good game :)

#64 Edited by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

The Mario Sunshine and popcorn thing were chosen because I think it sums up the duality of Dan and mankind as a whole. On one side you have Dashing Dan exuberantly defending a game like Mario Sunshine that frankly I and most people think is a subpar Mario game. On the other side you have Dirty Dan the guy who sees no problems with rooting through a movie theater trash bin to find a jumbo popcorn container so he can take advantage of the free refill offer. So don't let your hatred of Mario Sunshine keep you from voting.

#65 Posted by Chippy180 (205 posts) -

It's harmless and good-natured. Can't agree about Sunshine, though. That game is a trainwreck.

#66 Posted by clagnaught (2136 posts) -

@warpr said:
@clagnaught said:

I listen to the kisses on the check segment, and Mario Sunshine is not a good game.

I don't listen to the postcard segment, and Mario Sunshine is a good game :)

It appears we are at an impasse.

#67 Posted by Wandrecanada (1011 posts) -

@efesell said:

Like to be clear I don't hate the idea wholesale, it just doesn't need to be like 15 minutes every week.

Like the McElroy empire of podcasts read messages like this every week and they're funny and sweet and nice but they read like.... a couple.

Important to note that Jumbotron messages are once a week and paid. The other stuff is basically their show but they have zero obligation either.

I dunno maybe they should do a Jumbotron style paid message thing? That way they can set boundaries for the show.

#68 Posted by Lanechanger (1687 posts) -

I think they've found an innocuous way to add it to the show by stashing it at the end and giving ample warnings beforehand.

I really listen to it (but not really) because I'm usually doing something else on my PC while I'm listening and don't go out of my way to shut it off.

Surprised to see so many people weirded/creeped out by the kiss on the cheek thing though if that's a genuine sentiment. They're clearly keeping it pretty positive and, dare I say it, keeping it PLUR so hopefully people aren't too jaded when faced with sincere positivity!

#69 Posted by mortonan (60 posts) -

I skip it. And I was a Sunshine defender for years until I tried it again a few months ago. It doesn't hold up.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#70 Edited by BladeOfCreation (1372 posts) -

I listen to it (and plan to send one in soon), but I didn't answer the poll because of the way the question was worded.

#71 Posted by JoRoNimo (350 posts) -

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's adorable. It's a harmless little thing, and I'm sure the people who've gone through the trouble to send one in were thrilled to hear their name called out. I like it - it makes me feel good.

#72 Posted by OMGFather (1055 posts) -

@dafdiego777 said:

I just listen for Dan's weird kissing noise. It makes me crack up every time.

Ah, the Waluigi kiss.

#73 Posted by glots (4362 posts) -

I listen to it, just like I listen to all the ads. I don't necessarily love either, but the East/West crew could read up just about anything and I'd listen to it.

Real weirded out by some of the "No I'm not listening to that shit!" responses like that segment was somehow malicious, but eh, to each their own.

#74 Edited by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

@glots said:

I listen to it, just like I listen to all the ads. I don't necessarily love either, but the East/West crew could read up just about anything and I'd listen to it.

Real weirded out by some of the "No I'm not listening to that shit!" responses like that segment was somehow malicious, but eh, to each their own.

Yeah the vitriol is weird to me too. I think it is cool they do shoutouts but it's not for me so I simply turn off the podcast mark it as played and go about my day. Another podcast I love Last Podcast on the Left will do shoutouts to all their new Patreon subscribers and I turn that off as well. So it's not just exclusive to Beastcast.

#75 Posted by hakunin (560 posts) -

@mortonan said:

I skip it. And I was a Sunshine defender for years until I tried it again a few months ago. It doesn't hold up.

Imagine it being the first Mario game you really ever played.

"Wait, isn't Mario supposed to be, like the best platformers ever? This is straight up shit"

And yes I skip the postcards. 0% interest, which is a shame because I'm sure there is some fun non-postcard banter strewn in, just not worth wading through sometimes 10+ minutes of blah.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
#76 Posted by GiantLizardKing (1144 posts) -

Beastcast became too hammy for me, had to check out.

#77 Posted by sravankb (544 posts) -

One of the main reasons I listen to the beastcast is for the crew. While I wouldn't call it my favorite segment of the show, it still has the potential for jokes / banter.

And that's why I don't skip it. Plus, it's kinda cute on occasion. Some genuinely heart warming stuff; it's especially appreciated considering today's political climate. At least, I find it to be nice.

#78 Posted by 49th (3909 posts) -

Yes, it was fine before the postcards but now it's way too long and I don't care about any of it. I appreciate that Vinny tells me the true ending of the podcast so I can stop listening.

#79 Edited by GERALTITUDE (5990 posts) -

lol nah, I like it.

#80 Posted by Trilogy (3208 posts) -

I never used to, but those segments have been getting super long (with the exception of last week). I think it's super sweet that they do it, and it's pretty funny how it backfired in their face, but I can't be bothered to listen to it every week.

#81 Posted by takayamasama (1548 posts) -

I had to abstain from voting due to the fact that I never skip them but FUCK MARIO SUNSHINE.

#82 Posted by geirr (3773 posts) -

@conmulligan said:

I'd listen to GB East read a dictionary so, no.

Yup

Same.

I hate Mario Sunshine however so I couldn't vote.

#83 Posted by Jaymii (197 posts) -

Oh god damn, I love the off-topic stuff more than anything else. Postcards are currently one of the weirdest and greatest highlights of the show for me. Just a solid on-going bit.

#84 Posted by Cr0ssbow (156 posts) -

I like the postcard section. It's endearing and I like finding out where some listeners are from.

#85 Posted by matthewgm (364 posts) -

I dislike it quite a bit, and always skip it.

I like that they want to do nice things for their listeners, though. I find no fault in their motivations.

I just personally can't stand it. So your friend had a birthday, big deal. It's like getting happy birthday sung at a restaurant, except instead of bothering the couple dozen patrons around you, you're irritating thousands of listeners.

#86 Posted by JRM (356 posts) -

@bartok: Vitriol? I think the majority of folks who dislike the segment have voiced why in a pretty reasonable manner.

#87 Posted by Sergio (3625 posts) -

No, I love kisses and Mario Sunshine is NOT a good game dammit!

#88 Posted by Naoiko (1676 posts) -

So I listen to the podcast portion but I don't know if I agree with the Mario Sunshine part of the poll selection.

#89 Posted by craigeve (47 posts) -

Nice try Jeff, you're not going to get out of it this way!

I personally skip through until the music starts to play, even though i might miss something super interesting as i only have a limited time to listen to podcasts on my commute and i constantly have a backlog between this and the bombcast.

#90 Posted by cikame (2859 posts) -

I have the podcasts on in the background when i'm playing a grindy game like an MMO so it doesn't matter really how long it is, i like the postcard segment especially when people send them in from funny sounding places, and the PUBG updates are hilarious, it's also really only like 5-10 minutes.
I don't listen to the bombcast aftershow as the bombcast already has a questions segment, and i don't need up to an hour's worth of more questions.

#91 Posted by jackgb (22 posts) -

Mario Sunshine seems bad, but I guess I haven't played it so I just asked for the results. Anyway I listen to the whole thing every week and enjoy it, if only for the tangents. Also, I was shouted out for my birthday a few weeks ago and it made me absurdly happy. I tend to listen to podcasts in chunks rather than one sitting (which is why I've never really understood Patrick's "Who has time for a 3 hour podcast?" line), and I drive a lot, so the extra runtime is actually quite beneficial. That's why the Beastcast is only the 3rd longest podcast I listen to on a weekly basis.

#92 Posted by Mr_Shufu (101 posts) -
#93 Posted by ALavaPenguin (948 posts) -

I haven't listened to the beastcast in a while but from the sounds of it this isn't something I would like.

#94 Posted by JohnyMyko (1893 posts) -

Beastcast became too hammy for me, had to check out.

I've been feeling the same way about it recently

#95 Posted by ALavaPenguin (948 posts) -

@jackgb:

Yeah I mean a lot of people have time for that because it is very easy to listen to a long running thing when doing other things like... driving, exercising, ect.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
#96 Edited by GiantLizardKing (1144 posts) -
#97 Posted by chrispaul92 (149 posts) -
#98 Posted by ToTheNines (1672 posts) -

there should be a sometimes option ;)

#99 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7610 posts) -

I like the post card sections of the 'thank you sections" of podcasts. What I loath, what I absolutely loath, is music sections of podcast. I especially hate user submitted music on gamer podcasts. User submitted anything is typically bad, but music has got to be the worst of the worst.

#100 Posted by zombievac (492 posts) -

@ste89 said:

I find it more easy to listen to anything on the beastcast due to the personalities. Where as on the bombcast I don't listen to any of the ads anymore as I have been listening to that podcast for over 8 years. But I will say I did appreciate the quick version of the postcard section on the last beastcast.

It's funny, we're opposites in that regard (though I too enjoy the Beastcast more than the Bombcast these days, quite often - except Bakalar is the only regular member that I find annoying sometimes, but it's minor, he's just over-sensitive and seems to lack a sense of humor in some regards a bit). I don't listen to the postcard/kisses section that much (though often I do, it depends) - but I do prefer the version of the Bombcast with the ads, simply because I like the sarcastic read Jeff and the crew often do for them. But when they've repeated the same ad way too many times, I do skip it if I'm able (not driving, etc).

Either way, neither ads nor shout-outs are that hard to ignore and they're short - and if not short, it's because they sparked some sort of conversation usually, which I feel compelled to listen to because sometimes those are just as good or better than some of what is said on the show itself.

TL;DR - I don't mind the ads, sometimes they're quite funny and sarcastic which I appreciate, but the shout-outs are silly usually, and as a concept, are not generally a good idea for an entertainment podcast (people don't like listening to random names being listed for minutes on end, simple as that really).