GameFly/Netflix relationship

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chokobo

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I believe that Netflix and GameFly are owned by the same company.  I just know that I used to get GameFly free trials in my netflix envelopes and I doubt that that would happen unless they were in cahoots (in a business sense) with one another.

Just listened to last weeks cast and heard someone say that netflix should just buy gamefly, but I think that gamefly was just born of netflix.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

I dont think they are owned by the same company.  In fact, I believe from what I have read that the guys who started Gamefly came up with their idea and secured capital funding before Netflix was founded.
I think on the Podcast, they were hoping gamefly would expand as much as netflix has, and if netflix bought them, then they could use their shipping centers, because I think Gamefly has 4 while Netflix has a lot more.  Netflix ships out a movie and you get it the next day.  With Gamefly, its not so fast.  But they did hit a good point.  Games do not have a good shelf-life, and people forget them quickly and move on.  They are not like movies where you can go back to play them.  Right now, you can't rent a game on Gamefly that wasn't made before 2000, I think.  You dont go back to play classic games like you go back to watch classic movies.  And when you do, its because you own the game or it comes in a new modern form, like Xbox Live Arcade or a remake on a portable console.  Gamefly could be bigger but the video game business is really tricky.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lebkin

The internet gives easy answers to this question.  Netflix and Gamefly are two separate companies founded and run by different people.  They have a business relationship, in that Gamefly buys advertising on the Netflix fliers.

Business information can be found on the Other Wiki
Netflix
Gamefly

As for Netflix buying Gamefly, I would love it if I could get both games and movies from a single subscription.  It would be a great feature, though I do not see it happening anytime soon.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By jaycrockett

The fact that Netflix lets Gamefly advertise in their mailers probably shows they aren't interested in that business.
machgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By machgame

Netflix has  actually stated that it has no intention of merging with Gamefly. The two services are separate and, for all intents and purposes, will stay that way.  As for expecting Netflix like service from Gamefly... it's just not a reality. Netflix deals with $15-$20 pieces of media, in incredibly high demand all over the country, and that take on average 2 hours to watch/use before you're done. Gamefly deals with $60+ pieces of media, that aren't in nearly as much demand, and that people want to keep out and play for hours and hours or days and days. It just can't be like Netflix and be  profitable. 

All things considered, for what Gamefly does they've managed to do it exceptionally well. When brick and mortar stores are dropping like flies they continue to grow and expand.

xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By xync4
@TheHBK: 
Games can be classics just like movies, and just like popular movies at certain periods of time haven't aged well, games that were not as solidly made or that have been substantially improved in successive iterations don't hold up.  

I think games have more of a shelf life than movies though - I rarely watch movies more than once anymore, unless someone wants to watch it with me, but a good enough game can be played ad infinitum, as long as your imagination holds out!  People still play games from consoles of decades past everyday, though arguably they do need to get out of their narcissistic time bubbles and smell the fresh macaroni

Gamefly couldn't do retro games like Netflix can do old movies though, of course, because of many old games not being on discs, and GF's apparently limited resources (you have to get pretty lucky to get a hot new release for months on end - but of course everyone is paying $ a month to rent everything instead of paying $$$ to buy every new game).  That said, this holiday is making me seriously consider rejoining lol...
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK
@xync4:  
Well, there are certainly more movies that we go back to watch than games.  And until recently classic games have been released on new consoles while old movies have been released on the latest format each possible time. 
Movies cost much less and are easier to keep on shelves and can sell at lower prices.  Any game that is 2 years old would have to sell at 20 bucks or less unless it is Halo 3 or Gears of War.  But that is a substantial drop from where it sold.  So retailers will not order many copies or order more later because people are not looking for them.
machgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By machgame
@xync4 said:
" ...GF's apparently limited resources (you have to get pretty lucky to get a hot new release for months on end - but of course everyone is paying $ a month to rent everything instead of paying $$$ to buy every new game).  That said, this holiday is making me seriously consider rejoining lol... "  

It's really not that difficult. Just a little queue manipulation and you'll get new releases without any problems. What's crucial is getting them into your queue before they release. Do that, have them in the #1 position and make sure you've got a slot open on your account for a game to ship on release day and you'll get them consistently. I honestly don't remember the last time I didn't get one this way. In fact, often times they'll ship them the day before they officially release.  It's also good to keep your queue limited to the games you really want to play. I rarely have more than 5 or 6 in there at a time. If there's not a lot going on and I just want to play random stuff then I'll load up my queue. Otherwise I keep it pretty tight. This seems to help and I'm always getting something I'm interested in.
xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By xync4
@machgame: 
yah I did manage to get resistance 2 and mirror's edge when they came out
but after a bout of no luck I resorted to getting some old PS2 games I'd always wanted to play
(mainly silent hill 2 and 3)
then I couldn't afford no mores but maybe again one day