User Lists: 0

The Taken King obviously takes it

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Pretty clear its either Metal Gear or Mario Maker at this point. with the dark horse candidates being Fallout 4 or Just cause 3

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@stefanten: I did miss the IMO, my apologies.

I think it will be battle between MGS5 and Mario Maker for sure, by the way.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contradiction: Spot the Liar as a surprise GOTY winner.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert:The thing about that stuff is that the new updates to MGSV was not part of the game any of them played. Aside from Dan and Drew, I doubt any of the others will experience any of it first-hand, and GOTY is always going to come down to their personal experiences/opinions, not hearsay.

Same goes for the post-release Witcher 3 fixes-- by the time that stuff came out, everyone on staff had cooled off on or nearly finished the game, and so that isn't really the game any of them played either (also even with all the fixes, it's not exceptional gameplay-wise by any means, which is not a great thing when the competition this year is stuff that is exceptional gameplay-wise).

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The secret behind GB goty is that the game Brad backs is always the game that wins. Unless Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3 is amazing, Brad is going to have MGS5 as he's number one game, even though he soured on the ending.

So MGS wins. The only other real contender is Mario Maker, but Brad doesn't seem nearly as much into that as Jeff and Dan, so he'll fight it hard and argue that it's still the same old Mario mechanics while MGS is all new and revolutionary.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck said:
@silversaint said:

I will be shocked if MGS5 doesn't take #1, even though IMO Witcher 3 is by far better and more ambitious.

You forgot to add "in my opinion".

Also, being 'more ambitious' does not result in a better game per se.

Do you, by default, treat every sentence that people write as a statement of verifiable fact? Also, he did not forget "IMO", because it's right in his post.

Anyway, I think that as of this week, Super Mario Maker just locked in a place in the top 5.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#208  Edited By frymillstrum

Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Mario Maker, MGS5, The Witcher 3, Rocket League and Just Cause 3 are absolute shoe-ins... Splatoon, Axiom Verge and Life is Strange may get decent consideration for the other 3 spots but there could be wild cards still out there.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pkmnfrk: I just hate it when people do state things as a fact when it should be stated as an opinion. Which he did not do, because I indeed missed the IMO.

I also apologized for this already in this thread.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck Ah, somehow a new page appeared sometime between when I loaded the page and when I posted my comment. Whose face has egg on it now!

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458: I'm concerned for Bloodborne as Jeff has only deemed it interesting, and neither Jason nor Vinny love it. Vinny recently copped to not finishing it because getting up to change the disc in his PS4 is too much of a hassle.

I also feel ridiculous being "concerned" over a game showing up on a GOTY list.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@teddie said:

@bbalpert:The thing about that stuff is that the new updates to MGSV was not part of the game any of them played. Aside from Dan and Drew, I doubt any of the others will experience any of it first-hand, and GOTY is always going to come down to their personal experiences/opinions, not hearsay.

Same goes for the post-release Witcher 3 fixes-- by the time that stuff came out, everyone on staff had cooled off on or nearly finished the game, and so that isn't really the game any of them played either (also even with all the fixes, it's not exceptional gameplay-wise by any means, which is not a great thing when the competition this year is stuff that is exceptional gameplay-wise).

Both very good points.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet seems to be obsessed with Undertale, but GB hasn't been caught up in the frenzy as much.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also hope Splatoon doesn't get overlooked.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

With Just Cause and Fallout on their way, I expect a tough discussion on the GOTY.

Metal Gear, Mario Maker, Fallout, and Just Cause is looking to be top 4. Just a matter of order, i think. Personally, Witcher 3 would rank up there as well but this site has always had a very distant respect of the Witcher games. I expect it to be in the top ten but not top 5.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: at least two members of the crew are into it, as Austin reviewed it (and gave it 5 stars) and Dan seems to have liked it as well. Enough to get it into the top 10? Depends on how stubborn they're feeling. Austin in particular is a wild card since he's not been part of their deliberations yet.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm very interested in how Austin will contribute to the discussion this year. He had a very personal and unique 2014 GOTY list that had no overlap with the GB top 10 if I remember correctly. Will he stay true to himself and fight for his favorite games, no matter how small or obscure? Or will he back down and let Brad and Dan take over?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see Bloodborne getting forgotten about. It was so good even Jeff got into it for a bit there, that's saying something!

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contradiction may not be the GOTY, but Jenks is definitely the best new character of 2015 and I refuse to hear otherwise.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm not sure the full ten but its a little more clear now.
A month ago I was so sure MGS would be number 1 but it seems like the crew has turned on it a bit.

Still, I think

1. Metal Gear V (Most of them are still positive enough they can agree on it)

2. Mario Maker (I'm counting on Brad to out filibuster Dan on this, since he didn't take to mario as hard as Jeff and Dan)

hmmmm.....

Fallout and Witcher somewhere in there.

10. Destiny TTK for Brad

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo said:
  1. Phantom Pain
  2. Mario Maker
  3. Just Cause 3
  4. Witcher 3
  5. Splatoon

That'll be the top 5 this year. I promise you. If I'm wrong, I'll eat a fucking shoe.

Quoting this to remind me come GOTY podcast.

Soooo... when's the shoe-eating happening, @babychoochoo?