GTAV as a whimsical action comedy hybrid

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

I just finished the bombcast. The GTA V discussion of the trailer really made me think of that trailer in a different way, I totally didn't pick up on what they were going for but Jeff hit the nail on the head. To a certain extent the guys were mocking that part of it, but some of the funniest discussions we have of the bombcast that I hold in high regard is their ongoing reverence with dumb whimsical action movies. Like Bad Boys, Fast and the Furious, etc. What makes Tarantino work is that he does some of the best violence and comedy at the same time, which amplifies both emotions. That's why these dumb movies have the staying power they do, because while they're easily mockable, that's sort of the point. It what makes them have staying power.

That trailer looked amazing but I'm even more pumped now that Jeff put the puzzle pieces together for me.

I don't know what I'm getting at other than to ask, what do you guys think of the hybrid?

Avatar image for imhotepisinvisible
ImhotepIsInvisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like it, I think it looks like they might be able to hit the balance between the deeper story of IV and the Balls-out awesome action of S.A. I've gotta say though, it was a little depressing that their entire "discussion" of V consisted of 30 seconds of each of them sh*tting all over the trailer...

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By I_smell

I'm not at the end of this bombcast episode yet (I'm actually takin a break, it's like 3 hours) but yeah I definately got a Beverly Hills Cop vibe from that trailer.

Which is good! I think. I don't think they reached what they were aiming for, tonally, in GTA 4. I think they could really make a perfect hit on that slightly more relaxed, funny vibe in this one, and if it ramps up and things get scary toward the end, that's a LOT easier to accept than starting off from that point.
Of course the other side of the coin is that everyone should push outside of their comfort zone 100% of the time, BUT I think Rockstar and Grand Theft Auto are too big, and have too many present foundations they're building on to really switch games into this new, solemn, emotionally resonant medium. So I think Lethal Weapon and Ocean's Eleven and the less dire stuff is a good ultimate goal for Grand Theft Auto.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I don't mind the comedy approach. GTA4 is a very funny game. A lot of that has to do with satire and the trailer had a different tone then that. We shall see.