• 110 results
bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By bibamatt

Just a heads up, this week's (25/04/12) Bombcast is spoiler-riffic as far as Fez goes, with no warning. Took me by surprise! You might want to be vigilant with that skip onwards button if you want to enjoy all of Fez's surprises. I, for one, now know a bunch of things that are coming that I didn't know about previously. Just seems a bit weird after the previous week's INSISTENCE on not looking up anything and experiencing it all first hand.

Reminded me of the time they just blurted out what happens at the end of Catherine (after a tiny "it's been long enough now") on the game's release day in Europe. Literally, I was driving home from the shop with the game. And that was a really bad spoiler. Oh well!

EDIT: I feel like, because this is the Internet, this thread has become more intense and hostile than it was supposed to. The intention wasn't to get all angry (u mad bro?) or to debate spoilers. It was a mild warning to those that are sensitive to spoilers and to those that want to reveal Fez's secrets as spoiler free as possible. For those people, probably skip 20 minutes or so into this week's bombcast. That is all.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

I haven't played a lot of Catherine yet but

I don't think revealing Catherine is a succubus is a spoiler, if that is what you're talking about.

It seemed like the most obvious thing ever. If you're talking about something else, well I'm glad I missed it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Is it about that certain "ability"? I haven't played the game, Fez, nor will I, but some comments on the bombcast page have said that that "ability" is treated more as a cheat code than a straight up mechanic.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By supamon

I'm surprised they let fly that ability out so easily too. Just got all the cubes and finished NG+. The next new game+ after that? Holy fuck does the rabbit hole go deep.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By killacam

i've temporarily deprived myself of many a cast because of spoilers. i love patrick, but that kid has no filter! and i HATE any type of spoiler, no matter how small. it really doesn't mesh with my need to absorb all game news and media.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By babblinmule

@bibamatt said:

Reminded me of the time they just blurted out what happens at the end of Catherine (after a tiny "it's been long enough now") on the game's release day in Europe. Literally, I was driving home from the shop with the game. And that was a really bad spoiler. Oh well!

Mate I am still pissed off about that. I was considering buying Catherine, but then after hearing that on the bombcast I opted not to since the story was basically spoiled.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bibamatt said:

I knew they were going to spoil it as soon as Vinny (iirc?) mentioned he played Catherine, so I skipped around the stream like a crazy person. I continue to be unspoiled by the ending, luckily. Though yeah it was the release week of the game in Europe, we don't get Atlus games same week as America.

But on Fez, that's a different story, because it's almost brand-new and came out everywhere at the same time. So I guess that's much worse, especially when the game is about figuring it out for yourself.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmblasko

Would anyone be kind enough to provide a time frame for which said spoilers take place on the podcast? I would prefer to maintain a spoiler-free Fez experience.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fRAWRst

i never really understood how spoilers ruin something for you

i guess im weird

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CptBedlam

@fRAWRst: Because it's fun to discover stuff by yourself?

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fRAWRst

Sure, but the knowledge of whatever RUINS it for you?

again, i guess im weird. i just started xenoblade chronicles and read some stuff about the story, but im still very interested in seeing it develop and such.

im not sure if i had the "OMG U LEARNED THIS NEW THING DONT U FEEL GOOD"?

idk im fucked

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By mak_wikus
@cmblasko said:

Would anyone be kind enough to provide a time frame for which said spoilers take place on the podcast? I would prefer to maintain a spoiler-free Fez experience.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaLe

It's not even a spoiler, you fairies.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By babblinmule

@fRAWRst: I think it's more to do with depriving someone of the surprise at a plot twist. At least thats how I always felt about it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunkulese

@bibamatt said:

Just a heads up, this week's (25/04/12) Bombcast is spoiler-riffic as far as Fez goes, with no warning. Took me by surprise! You might want to be vigilant with that skip onwards button if you want to enjoy all of Fez's surprises. I, for one, now know a bunch of things that are coming that I didn't know about previously. Just seems a bit weird after the previous week's INSISTENCE on not looking up anything and experiencing it all first hand.

They didn't really spoil anything and went out of their way to not say anything that was actually important.

They also spoiled Catherine on the GOTY podcast after they said they'd be spoiling games because they were discussing end of the year awards. I'm pretty sure they even said we're about to spoil Catherine right before they talked about it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunkulese

@cmblasko said:

Wait until they start talking about Fez then skip ahead 20 minutes. It's pretty safe to listen to unless you consider any discussion about a game to be a spoiler.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bibamatt

It goes beyond just talking about what the 'ability' is. Last week, we were left with it's an indie platformer until you get the first ending, at which point... we don't want to give anything away but it opens up and YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME. This week, it's all like yeah this happens and then you rotate that and in the classrooms I was confused by all the.... and I had to work this out and you can do this etc. Not necessarily specifics but I just feel like I know loads more now. I'm literally looking at things in a different way because I know they're going to be significant. Which is exactly the oppposite of what Jeff said about why he loved it last week. It was all, it's brilliant because you don't know these things are significant. I loved that they got me so excited last week without revealing why.

And yeah, that ability.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bibamatt

@Hunkulese said:

They also spoiled Catherine on the GOTY podcast after they said they'd be spoiling games because they were discussing end of the year awards. I'm pretty sure they even said we're about to spoil Catherine right before they talked about it.

Yep they did, you're right. So I avoided all of that. Then, in February, on the very day it was released in Europe, they just started talking about 'the twist' with no warning. I'm not mad about it because I assume they didn't think about it being released late elsewhere. It was just an example of another time I was bummed out about spoilers. That one specifically because I had the damn game next to me in it's wrapper after having just bought it on release day after waiting so long and avoiding story spoilers.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Tylea002

People judging what spoilers are are assholes. Don't come in and go 'that isn't even a spoiler,' because each person is different in how much information they like to know. One of the most annoying things about how the bombcast handles spoilers is in this manner. They will say, don't really want to spoil things, so be vauge, but anyone with a brain starts putting things together and it does take away from the enjoyment and make you not want to play the game. It would be better if they just said 'now we are talking about fez, skip to XX;XX' rather than telling people they're not spoiling, and then proceeding to tell things that certain people might not want to hear. All it would take would be for them to note down the time they talk about it, so people could skip it.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fRAWRst

@babblinmule said:

@fRAWRst: I think it's more to do with depriving someone of the surprise at a plot twist. At least thats how I always felt about it.

i suppose thats valid, but I havent really come across a game where a single element being known ruins the experience for me.

even plot twists like the true killer in persona 4 didnt bother me, the parts leading up to it were still super satisfying for me

i guess its because ive never felt outsmarted by the game, i dont think ive had that "aha oh so thats it" moment

seeing all this makes me feel like im the minority though. so ill quiet down

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tylea002

@fRAWRst said:

@babblinmule said:

i suppose thats valid, but I havent really come across a game where a single element being known ruins the experience for me.

even plot twists like the true killer in persona 4 didnt bother me, the parts leading up to it were still super satisfying for me

The important thing to be is that everyone's different in what they consider a spoiler - some people have brains that won't let them enjoy things if they know too much. Even if it's a complete lie or simply an opinion. Knowing there is a big twist, to some people, ruins the twist entirely. Everyone's different, so if you give warning for anything you're about to say, spoiler wise, I think everything's fine. Though the 90 day rule is a bunch of horseshit. Some people like to take their time - it's not that hard to warn.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bibamatt

@fRAWRst said:

@babblinmule said:

It's not always that it "ruins the experience". I wouldn't go that far. But in some games the joy of discovery is an amazing thing. Take that away and you've probably still got a great game. But I really like experiencing things for myself. Especially story/twist things.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fRAWRst

@Tylea002 said:

@fRAWRst said:

@babblinmule said:

The important thing to be is that everyone's different in what they consider a spoiler - some people have brains that won't let them enjoy things if they know too much. Even if it's a complete lie or simply an opinion. Knowing there is a big twist, to some people, ruins the twist entirely. Everyone's different, so if you give warning for anything you're about to say, spoiler wise, I think everything's fine. Though the 90 day rule is a bunch of horseshit. Some people like to take their time - it's not that hard to warn.

Man it must suck for those dudes.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bigsmoke77

If you don't want spoilers then never listen to the beginning of the bombcast, what do you want them to say? " yeah i played Fez its messed up" "ok now on to news!!!!"

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bibamatt

@bigsmoke77 said:

If you don't want spoilers then never listen to the beginning of the bombcast, what do you want them to say? " yeah i played Fez its messed up" "ok now on to news!!!!"

The week before they managed to talk about Fez for aaaages and make me RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED about it without revealing any hint of spoilers. Don't over exaggerate, dude.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tylea002

@fRAWRst said:

Man it must suck for those dudes.

Oh, it's the worst. Combine it with an overactive brain that reads too much into things, and you can think that anything is a spoiler. Which is stupid, as it's like, I just want to enjoy this stuff, and not overanalyse it. Wish I could be one of the 'normal' dudes.

I don't care that much about FEZ, because I've missed the zeitgeist and now that I know it's a cipher thing, and I hate ciphers, I don't really mind, but like, avoiding shit for Mass Effect 3 was excruciatingly impossible, especially as it came out on the Friday over here.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fez talk runs from 13 minutes to about 25 and then it slides into general talk about these kinds of games / community effort involved.

My main thought listening was ... these guys are a bit slow.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Mendelson9

It would be nice if the Bombcast was an enhanced podcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Wait until they spoil Game of Thrones by telling you about how Ned Stark learns how to fly!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Dany

Last week I bought FEZ per their discussion and am loving it. Now ,ONLY A WEEK LATER, they think I finished it? Assholes.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By vaiz

Fez needs its own Spoilercast.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Bocam

@Brodehouse: God damn it I just got to that part.

Also, you can't really spoil FEZ.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By redbliss

Yeah that was too bad. They said it is still too early to talk about spoilers, then they talked about flying. I havent played Fez yet because I have no way of downloading it, but I planned on picking it up once I got home in May. I am currently in the process of wiping that from my memory.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bibamatt

I feel like, because this is the Internet, this thread has become more intense and hostile than it was supposed to. The intention wasn't to get all angry (u mad bro?) or to debate spoilers. It was a mild warning to those that are sensitive to spoilers and to those that want to reveal Fez's secrets as spoiler free as possible. For those people, probably skip 20 minutes or so into this week's bombcast. That is all.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By redbliss

@fRAWRst: It's not that it ruins the experience overall, it just ruins the moment that that information is discovered. Think about it, the person that doesnt know something is coming is going to get a lot more enjoyment out of an event then the person who knows what is coming. There is no element of surprise or discovery for the second person. The game can still be a good game, but certain points might be ruined. Like I said, I havent played fez, but I dont think knowing what they said on the cast would ruin the game. It would just make the point at which you discover that a little less amazing.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scrawnto

@bibamatt: Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't had a chance to play Fez yet, so I've been avoiding most discussion of it, especially since I heard there was crazy stuff to figure out.

Astromarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Astromarine

The people bitching about flying: There is NO WAY. AT ALL. EVER. to learn about that in the game. It's something that people learned, IIRC, from a tweet by the devs. How the hell can people bitch about that being a spoiler?

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By redbliss

@Astromarine said:

The people bitching about flying: There is NO WAY. AT ALL. EVER. to learn about that in the game. It's something that people learned, IIRC, from a tweet by the devs. How the hell can people bitch about that being a spoiler?

No one is really bitching. In fact, the ones that are bitching are the people that keep saying it is not a spoiler. Calm down. The people who think it is a spoiler are the ones who havent had a chance to play the game yet, and I am one of those people. How could we possibly know that you cannot learn that in the game if we havent played it yet? How about you put yourself in the position of someone who hasnt played the game yet and consider whether, after hearing the bombcast, you would think that what they said was a spoiler. You should really avoid flatout complaining before you think about things from multiple perspectives, which you clearly havent done.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bibamatt

The mods have moved this thread from the Fez board to the Bombcast board? Surely this friendly piece of advice to Fez players is far more appropriate in the Fez boards than in the Bombcast boards?! The point of it is so that Fez players might see it and tread carefully in the Bombcast.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

EDIT: /sarcasm

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slab64

@fRAWRst said:

i never really understood how spoilers ruin something for you

i guess im weird

I'm the same way, but I won't complain about people trying to avoid spoilers because I understand people like us are in the minority. Part of it is that I don't play 90% of the games that people talk about, but my philosophy about spoilers is that if an idea/plot point/character moment is good and enjoyable and worthwhile, it doesn't matter whether I know about it ahead of time. It doesn't remove the merits of whatever it is. And the thrill of surprise can (in my case) easily be rivaled by the excitement and anticipation of "ooh, that good part is coming up".

But yeah, most people aren't this way. I like being mostly spoilerproof though.

hankrazorbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hankrazorbeard

No need to get butthurt, it'd be a pretty shitty podcast if they could never get into specifics of any game for fear of spoiling it.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Drebin_893

@hankrazorbeard: People are suggesting significantly less stupid things than that.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BrockNRolla

I didn't plan on playing Fez, but was quite surprised as well. I'd followed the coverage at least on the site and couldn't believe they blew something that occurs after you "finish" the game. (I say "finish" because there is much more after that, but it is still a revelation in the moment) This kind of flippant attitude toward spoilers is why I stop listening to podcasts from various groups.

I'm not saying I'm going to stop listening to the Bombcast because that's frankly just crazy. What I am saying though is that throwing out spoilers is sloppy. They're professionals. If they can't discuss something without spoiling it, especially only a short while after release, they shouldn't discuss it.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By efman

Even if it's a time-crunch on their end, the Bombcast NEEDS SHOWNOTES, with everything's that been happening with regard to spoilers lately. Or, if they aren't going the extra mile of having shownotes for each show, have it at the very least when spoilers are concerned. Everyone will be happy that way.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dany
@BrockNRolla

I didn't plan on playing Fez, but was quite surprised as well. I'd followed the coverage at least on the site and couldn't believe they blew something that occurs after you "finish" the game. (I say "finish" because there is much more after that, but it is still a revelation in the moment) This kind of flippant attitude toward spoilers is why I stop listening to podcasts from various groups.

I'm not saying I'm going to stop listening to the Bombcast because that's frankly just crazy. What I am saying though is that throwing out spoilers is sloppy. They're professionals. If they can't discuss something without spoiling it, especially only a short while after release, they shouldn't discuss it.

I agree
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ravenlight

I haven't played Fez yet and I have no idea what was a spoiler and what wasn't. I guess it might make sense if I had more of an idea about how the game worked.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By psylah
@bibamatt said:

The mods have moved this thread from the Fez board to the Bombcast board? Surely this friendly piece of advice to Fez players is far more appropriate in the Fez boards than in the Bombcast boards?! The point of it is so that Fez players might see it and tread carefully in the Bombcast.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

EDIT: /sarcasm

I had been avoiding the Fez boards to keep the puzzle-solving pure, which is why I made a post on the Bombcast board without knowing about this one. They locked mine and just moved this one to the Bombcast board.

I figured if someone wants to avoid spoilers for a game, a community message board for that game is the LAST place they'd visit, and in the past there were frequently inquiries into whether or not it was safe to listen to a 'cast on that board.

So it's partially my fault. Sorry!
bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bibamatt

@psylah: Aw, I was just being daft.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kermoosh

I came as soon as i could

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Sambambo

I was pissed when this happened. I had no idea, and they seemed to treat it so casually...