I love the alternate reality that the entire Bombcast...

• 143 results
MangyForestCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MangyForestCat

I love the alternate reality that the entire Bombcast takes place in.

You know, that alternate reality where the first Assassin's Creed is one of the most painful experiences in modern video game history.

Where Fable 3 is the most dissappointing game of 2010.

These two are but the most recent examples of the crazy reality that these guys live in. It's amazing to me that they do not connect the dots between their opinions of these and other games, and the fact that they are in a unique position (by way of their chosen profession) to experience things that the average consumer and video game enthusiast does not.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FunExplosions

Pretty much everyone that isn't a frat bro or old man disagrees with you.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By matpaget
@MangyForestCat said:

the first Assassin's Creed is one of the most painful experiences in modern video game history.

It was
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

SICK BURN! YOU REALLY SHOWED THEM, BRO! 

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Cornman89

Why not just say you disagree?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By zymase
@MatPaget said:
" @MangyForestCat said:

the first Assassin's Creed is one of the most painful experiences in modern video game history.

It was "
Yeah, play it again.  For the Desmond parts.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta

I don't think either AC is that great, but I did beat AC2 and never actually got past the first two assassination missions in AC; game is MAD BORING DOG.

and I was playing the PC version as well (not of AC2, fuck that)

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vodun

YEAH FUCK THEM FOR HAVING OPINIONS! BURN THE INFIDELS!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MatPaget said:
" @MangyForestCat said:

It was "
No shit, doing the same missions OVER AND OVER AGAIN got old REAL FAST. Not to mention I think I have every citizen's thank you response memorized because they were ALWAYS THE SAME LINES!
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Cornman89 said:

"  Why not just say you disagree? "

Yes. Say it to yourself though. In your head.    
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

Assassin's Creed was rife with bad design decisions.  Time has only put a magnifying glass to those errors.  I can't imagine that game is even remotely playable today.  However I would say Assassin's Creed 2 is one of the most improved sequels of all time.  While I couldn't even push myself to finish the first Assassin's Creed I 100%'d II and damn near 100%'d Brotherhood. 

Fable 3 is sort of an inverted story to the Assassin's Creeds.  The first two Fable games, while not living up to their impossibly high expectations, were both downright great and then they tripped up on the third.  They were a vehicle for an effective morality simulator.  You made decisions, fun ones, and built skills that would eventually create a character in your own, fantasy, image.  Fable 3 decided to put those ideas on the back burner and instead focus on story.  The problem was story has never been a strong suit of the Fable games, or even Lionhead studios.  So Fable 3 basically became a game with a few interesting characters, annoying decision making, and character building that hardly reflected in your character's appearance.   

Personally I don't hate Fable 3 as much as the crew did, but I, fortunately, knew the big decision at the end and prepared for it.  Had I not I probably would have hated the game.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Daveyo520

You know that it is just their opinion, right?

I am always annoyed by the topics that are made by people who have left the default icon on. Almost as if they don't even care about contributing to the site in a good way.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aegon

No Caption Provided

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By beej

I agree with them about assassins creed. I hated that game (maybe it only sucked on PC, but some of the issues seemed like design rather than just a poorly realized port) 

MangyForestCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MangyForestCat
@HatKing:
I played through the entirety of the original Assassin's Creed again after playing through Assassin's Creed 2. It is not unplayable. A game made in 2007 by Ubisoft Montreal as their premiere holiday title is not a game that you "can't imagine that game is even remotely playable today." Maybe if this was the future of 2020 when we all play games that are downloaded to our eyelids (the superior platform) then that might be true. 

I am not arguing that the first Assassin's Creed is better the Assassin's Creed 2. I agree that the Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood are both superior games. I'm saying that the crew lives in a crazy upside down reality where the first Assassin's Creed is a busted game that a person suffers through from start to finish.
WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WarlordPayne

I can't comment on Fable 3 since I haven't played it, but I played Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 for the first time, and back to back, about 4 or 5 months ago. 

Assassin's Creed 1 is fucking terrible.  I don't know how that game sold well enough to earn a sequel with how poorly made it was.  I'm glad it did, though, because AC2 was actually a really good game.  I agree with HatKing that it's one of the most improved sequels I've ever seen, if not the most.  It feels like AC1 was an internal test build or something just to make sure the mechanics worked and AC2 was them putting those mechanics into an actual game.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sameeeeam
@MangyForestCat said:
" @HatKing: I'm saying that the crew lives in a crazy upside down reality where the first Assassin's Creed is a busted game that a person suffers through from start to finish. "
Which is exactly the experience I had with that game. 

Can't comment on Fable 3 since I have yet to play it.
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Deusoma

Someday, people are going to realize that there is such a thing as an incorrect opinion. Hopefully, that will do away with the knee-jerk reactions I always see to threads even remotely like this one, and lead to actual discussion of whether or not the opinions in question have merit. That would be nice. :)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Looks like I'm part of that alternate reality too then. I didn't care for AC then and I'd sooner shoot myself than play it now. Fable is always disappointing. It's never bad by any standards, but there's always so much promise within each game and they always fail to deliver exactly what they promise. Fable 3 just so happens to be more disappointing than any of it's older siblings.

And disappointing does not mean bad. Disappointing means exactly what I just said above. They promise things that they can never live up to.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ksaw

Assassin's Creed came out almost 4 years ago. At the time the game looked amazing, the cities were huge and incredibly detailed and all of the traversal abilities and slick looking animations were pretty compelling. It was also incredibly repetitive and sort of shallow on some ends. I don't think anyone was saying that the game was terrible, but that the improvements featured in the sequels were so great that they served to highlight the faults of the original. I can see how someone like Brad, who is fully aware of the improvements made to later installments in the series, would find it tiresome to play his way through the less refined original for the sole purpose of  fully grasping the story elements.    

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Slaker117

@MangyForestCat: 
Dude, I love the first Assassin's Creed. I spent countless hours playing and getting every damn achievement in it. That game has so many god damn problems. Parts of it just feel broken, others are poorly designed. Doing the same boring ass side missions every city was stupid, the guard detection was unfair, fighting was slow and tedious, free running was janky. I could go on. It was a really neat game at it's core, but you had to suffer through so much to get to the cool parts.

The Fable series has always been underwhelming to me. I can't speak to Fable 3 as I never played it, but that's because I got burned before. A lot of the decisions on the interface sounded poorly conceived and annoying. I would have been more surprised if it wasn't another disappointment.

And when do they ever claim to speak for the average consumer? They are commenting on their own experiences from their unique position. You're right about that. They know that. It's not like they can ajust their opinions though. It's theirs, not yours. Take that for what it's worth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MangyForestCat: I agree with the Bombcast on AC. When I first got it I got through the first 5 or 6 assassinations and then spent another 6 months trying to find the motivation to do all of those interrogation missions again. I ground through to the end because I was really interested in the fiction. Now I've seen it I won't ever play  that again, at least not all the way through. 

i haven't played Fable 3 but my friend who is a huge fan of the series said it was bad. Seems to be the general consensus. After Fable 2 was so loved it's very disappointing.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shirogane

Gee, you people are either assholes, or just like to jump hate train, AC was a great game. Though if you go back today, it's pretty horrible. 

Probably both of the above is true though. I mean, it is the internets.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster

Those games aren't that good. Assassin's Creed is incredibly repetitive and Fable 3 is shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MangyForestCat said:
" I love the alternate reality that the entire Bombcast takes place in.

You know, that alternate reality where the first Assassin's Creed is one of the most painful experiences in modern video game history.

These two are but the most recent examples of the crazy reality that these guys live in. It's amazing to me that they do not connect the dots between their opinions of these and other games, and the fact that they are in a unique position (by way of their chosen profession) to experience things that the average consumer and video game enthusiast does not.

"
Hey, it could have been worse. 

They could have been Gametrailers.com employees. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though, really. 

... except for GT.com employees. Fuck them.
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Simplexity

They give reasons for why they dislike Fable 3 and why they find AC to be such a slug to get through, I don't see why you have a problem with this.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Slaker117
@Shirogane:  There are things that AC1 did that are amazing. Those things didn't make it a good game. It was severely flawed and even at release I remember seeing complaints similar to those here. The vastly superior sequels makes it even easier to see it's many failings.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

While I disagree with the GB crew and AC1 is my favourite in the series they are entitled to their own opinion too.
One thing I noticed is that as members of the gaming press they put much more emphasis then for example me on the mehcanics/bugs/usability of a game. Whereas I can easily ignore the "jank" if the underlying game is good.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shirogane
@Slaker117 said:
"@Shirogane:  There are things that AC1 did that are amazing. Those things didn't make it a good game. It was severely flawed and even at release I remember seeing complaints similar to those here. The vastly superior sequels makes it even easier to see it's many failings. "

The main things with the 'flaws' were that people were expecting something more, i went into the game not hyped up at all. And quite late actually, probably a year or 2 after release. I found it to be great, i had no problems with it whatsoever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MangyForestCat said:
" @HatKing:I played through the entirety of the original Assassin's Creed again after playing through Assassin's Creed 2. It is not unplayable. A game made in 2007 by Ubisoft Montreal as their premiere holiday title is not a game that you "can't imagine that game is even remotely playable today." Maybe if this was the future of 2020 when we all play games that are downloaded to our eyelids (the superior platform) then that might be true. I am not arguing that the first Assassin's Creed is better the Assassin's Creed 2. I agree that the Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood are both superior games. I'm saying that the crew lives in a crazy upside down reality where the first Assassin's Creed is a busted game that a person suffers through from start to finish. "
What you need to realise is that the gaming community as a whole lives in a world where if a game isn't brilliant, it's complete unplayable shit. 
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By borodin
@Shirogane said: 
The main things with the 'flaws' were that people were expecting something more, i went into the game not hyped up at all. And quite late actually, probably a year or 2 after release. I found it to be great, i had no problems with it whatsoever. "
Couldn't disagree more. A game being savagely repetitive to the point where you've seen all the gameplay the game has to offer within 20 minutes, has nothing to do with expectations - that's just a repetitive ass game. Now if you're telling me your standards are really low, then fine, but that doesn't change the fact AC 1 was a very flawed game in many respects, respects which the developers pretty much owned up to.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EvilTwin
@Shirogane said:
" @Slaker117 said:
"@Shirogane:  There are things that AC1 did that are amazing. Those things didn't make it a good game. It was severely flawed and even at release I remember seeing complaints similar to those here. The vastly superior sequels makes it even easier to see it's many failings. "
The main things with the 'flaws' were that people were expecting something more, i went into the game not hyped up at all. And quite late actually, probably a year or 2 after release. I found it to be great, i had no problems with it whatsoever. "
I'll take your two years and raise you one.  I played it in 2010 and still thought it was a mediocre game.  Its only redeeming quality (besides its production values) was the platforming which was used in the pursuit of nothing interesting.  

Hype is not what hurt Assassin's Creed.  Hype is what saved it.
guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By guthwulf

WAT??? Teh Bombcast cant be RONG!!!

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By haggis

I bought AC2 on faith: the first game had so much potential. The climbing and open world nature of the game were fantastic. It was graphically impressive. It had some bright spots. But like a lot of people, I suppose, by the second assassination I was already getting bored. I didn't get much further than that. But I still bought AC2, because I hoped they fixed the problems. And you know what? They did. The first game was incredibly painful primarily because everyone could see that beneath the tragically dull mission structure was a fantastic game waiting to emerge. We all wanted to love the game, but most of us couldn't. AC2 was a far better game. And Brotherhood was even better than that. I'm almost scared how excited I am for AC3.

I've only played a little Fable 3. I was one who was incredibly disappointed by Fable 2, so I didn't have high expectations for the third. That said, I can easily see someone who enjoyed Fable 2 be disappointed in Fable 3. It's not a stretch to imagine that.

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zegolf
@EvilTwin: I concur. I also did the "Assassin's Creed-a-thon" just so I could get caught up on the story for Ass Bro and AC1 was like pulling teeth.  I'm sure when it came out, the game was amazing, but the leaps that were made between AC1 and AC2 are enough that AC1 can be labeled as fairly rough game.  You hit the nail on the head.  Had AC1 not received the hype that it did, AC2 never would have come out and turned the series into a great series.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Baillie

For everyone shitting on Assassin's Creed, you clearly didn't play it when it first came out.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vitor
@Asrahn said:
" @MangyForestCat said:
" I love the alternate reality that the entire Bombcast takes place in.

"
Hey, it could have been worse.  They could have been Gametrailers.com employees.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though, really.  ... except for GT.com employees. Fuck them. "
Amen brother, Amen. 

I respect Shane Satterfield and Geoff Keighley a great deal. Doesn't mean I ever have to agree with how they run their site/their general opinions though...
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chrissedoff
@FunExplosions said:
" Pretty much everyone that isn't a frat bro or old man disagrees with you. "
if there's 2 things that old men and frat bros can agree on it's that fable 3 and the first assassin's creed rule
RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RaoulDo0k
@MangyForestCat: Just because you disagree with their opinion doesn't make it invalid.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I agree with the OP, but there's no point posting it on a forum filled with brown-nosing cunts with a copy-paste opinion.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lautaro

Basically this thread is : OP disagrees with the staff, people go fucking crazy. Nothing new to see here.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EvilTwin
@GunslingerPanda: 
@Lautaro:

I think it mostly has to do with how poorly he presents his ideas.  He's also focusing too much on the Giant Bomb staff as if they're the only people in the world who thought Assassin's Creed was mediocre and made worse by time, and that Fable 3 was disappointing.  They weren't, by far.  

I actually agree with him to some extent that the Giant Bomb staff sometimes lose perspective on what an average gamer thinks or feels about certain things.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Assassins Creed 1 wasn't the greatest and Fable 3 was dissapointing as hell. 
Its their opinion. 
Good on you for having your own. 
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By borodin
@Baillie said:
" For everyone shitting on Assassin's Creed, you clearly didn't play it when it first came out. "
Why is that? I played it when it first came out and like another guy in this thread, it took me about 6 months to finish because it was such a chore to play - yeah the graphics/environment and the free running were really cool but just about everything else about it was dull as hell
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By Chris2KLee
@Milkman said:
" SICK BURN! YOU REALLY SHOWED THEM, BRO!  "
God damn, tell me about it! I don't know how GB will ever recover from this DAMNING critical beat down. They should just shut the website down now. Game Over.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Meowshi
@Vodun said:
" YEAH FUCK THEM FOR HAVING OPINIONS! BURN THE INFIDELS! "
As opposed to the tremendous amount of respect and civility you're showing towards the OP's opinions, right?
Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ihmishylje
@Khann said:
" What you need to realise is that the gaming community as a whole lives in a world where if a game isn't brilliant, it's complete unplayable shit.  "
Truer words have never been spoken.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Baillie
@borodin said:
" @Baillie said:
" For everyone shitting on Assassin's Creed, you clearly didn't play it when it first came out. "
Why is that? I played it when it first came out and like another guy in this thread, it took me about 6 months to finish because it was such a chore to play - yeah the graphics/environment and the free running were really cool but just about everything else about it was dull as hell "
I don't know, it didn't take me long at all to complete the game, short and sweet. 
NarcolepticBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NarcolepticBat

Have you gone back and played Assassins Creed recently?