I'll do the fact checking 04/24/2012 + Drew's North Korea trip

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By sub_o

Most of them are taken from Wikipedia and Google. Please correct me in the comment section, if I made any mistake, or when you have better and simpler explanation or something to add (please refrain from using harsh words or insults, we're all here to learn)

04/24/2012's Bombcast

• Arecibo message was broadcasted to outer space, some say it's to make contact, others say it's to demonstrate human capability to make contact
No Caption Provided
  • Brad was referring to Voyager Golden Record, where a phonograph record, containing sound and images portraying diversity of life on earth, is included aboard in unmanned Voyager spaceship
  • This might be Steelbook's official website. Owned by Glud & Marstrand A/S, a Denmark based company, they own IP rights to Steelbook cases. It's only steel cases for discs ?

Drew Returns from North Korea

No Caption Provided
  • Tea egg is basically boiled egg simmered in tea + chinese five spices. I've never made it, not sure about the recipe, but I've tried it before. Tastes good
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
  • Egg tart is a pastry filled with egg custard originated from Hong Kong. It tastes really really good. Below is the image and a video recipe of egg tart for the baking enthusiasts.
No Caption Provided
  • Apparently you take off your shoes during emergency landing before using the emergency slide. Not sure whether it's restricted to removing high-heels (since they could puncture the slide), but some websites state that you should remove shoes and excess clothing
  • Here's one of the inflight videos from Air Koryo (not the instruction guide though)
  • That british bloke is not Gary Whitta. Gary Whitta seems to be in US the entire time while Drew was in his vacation
  • I think the salad like noodles is Japchae, stir fried sweet potato noodles. Might be wrong though.
No Caption Provided
  • Kim Il-Sung is the father of Kim Jong-Il, grandfather of Kim Jong-Un. Kim Il-Sung is referred as the 'Great Leader', while Kim Jong-Il is referred as 'Supreme Leader' or 'Dear Leader'.
  • Nampho is a special city in North Korea, often used as port reception of foreign food aid assistance
  • Juche (Juche Sasang 주체사상) is apparently the thesis of Kim Il-Sung, mainly about the spirit of self reliance.
  • The hammer, sickle and brush, represents the three classes of North Korean society, which is the workers, peasants and samuwons (clerks, traders, bureaucrats, etc)
  • Pyongyang metro is touted to be the deepest subway on the world. It also acts as bomb shelter. You can see the glimpse of it from the Visual Traveling video below.
  • Below is a video clip of North Korean traffic lady in action.
  • The name Koryo (or Goryeo) is derived from Goguryeo the name of one of the three kingdoms of Korea (the other 2 were Baekje and Silla)
  • Taedonggang beer is the national beer of North Korea (?, I presume). Here's the advert which, based on Wikipedia, has only been broadcasted 3 times in total.
  • Based onHuffington Post's article here, gasoline clam uses gasoline, although it doesn't stink of gasoline in the end. Drew said that it uses rubbing alcohol. Below is the video of how they cook gasoline clam
  • I'm not sure whether it's the same in North Korea, but dog meat consumption in South Korea seems to mainly use Nureongi breed (and other breeds), which is specifically bred and raised in a dog farm. Below should be the picture of this Nureongi breed.
No Caption Provided
  • Here's the video created by Visual Traveling, which was mentioned by Drew. Great video.

I have no idea which sauce was Drew referring to, when he talked about his food adventure in China. Neither do I know about the mushroom look alike fried potato. Don't speculate.

Stare at this picture while traditional North Korean song is playing in the background
Stare at this picture while traditional North Korean song is playing in the background

PS: If you don't have a premium membership yet, the 2 hours long interview with Drew about his trip to North Korea is both funny and fascinating.

• I finally found out while watching Korean movie, the milk like alcohol is called Makgeolli, a korean rice wine, mixture of wheat and rice. It seems like they drink it with bowl (the one I saw was steel bowl). Not sure about the pancake though, maybe it's Bindaetteok.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sub_o

Most of them are taken from Wikipedia and Google. Please correct me in the comment section, if I made any mistake, or when you have better and simpler explanation or something to add (please refrain from using harsh words or insults, we're all here to learn)

04/24/2012's Bombcast

• Arecibo message was broadcasted to outer space, some say it's to make contact, others say it's to demonstrate human capability to make contact
No Caption Provided
  • Brad was referring to Voyager Golden Record, where a phonograph record, containing sound and images portraying diversity of life on earth, is included aboard in unmanned Voyager spaceship
  • This might be Steelbook's official website. Owned by Glud & Marstrand A/S, a Denmark based company, they own IP rights to Steelbook cases. It's only steel cases for discs ?

Drew Returns from North Korea

No Caption Provided
  • Tea egg is basically boiled egg simmered in tea + chinese five spices. I've never made it, not sure about the recipe, but I've tried it before. Tastes good
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
  • Egg tart is a pastry filled with egg custard originated from Hong Kong. It tastes really really good. Below is the image and a video recipe of egg tart for the baking enthusiasts.
No Caption Provided
  • Apparently you take off your shoes during emergency landing before using the emergency slide. Not sure whether it's restricted to removing high-heels (since they could puncture the slide), but some websites state that you should remove shoes and excess clothing
  • Here's one of the inflight videos from Air Koryo (not the instruction guide though)
  • That british bloke is not Gary Whitta. Gary Whitta seems to be in US the entire time while Drew was in his vacation
  • I think the salad like noodles is Japchae, stir fried sweet potato noodles. Might be wrong though.
No Caption Provided
  • Kim Il-Sung is the father of Kim Jong-Il, grandfather of Kim Jong-Un. Kim Il-Sung is referred as the 'Great Leader', while Kim Jong-Il is referred as 'Supreme Leader' or 'Dear Leader'.
  • Nampho is a special city in North Korea, often used as port reception of foreign food aid assistance
  • Juche (Juche Sasang 주체사상) is apparently the thesis of Kim Il-Sung, mainly about the spirit of self reliance.
  • The hammer, sickle and brush, represents the three classes of North Korean society, which is the workers, peasants and samuwons (clerks, traders, bureaucrats, etc)
  • Pyongyang metro is touted to be the deepest subway on the world. It also acts as bomb shelter. You can see the glimpse of it from the Visual Traveling video below.
  • Below is a video clip of North Korean traffic lady in action.
  • The name Koryo (or Goryeo) is derived from Goguryeo the name of one of the three kingdoms of Korea (the other 2 were Baekje and Silla)
  • Taedonggang beer is the national beer of North Korea (?, I presume). Here's the advert which, based on Wikipedia, has only been broadcasted 3 times in total.
  • Based onHuffington Post's article here, gasoline clam uses gasoline, although it doesn't stink of gasoline in the end. Drew said that it uses rubbing alcohol. Below is the video of how they cook gasoline clam
  • I'm not sure whether it's the same in North Korea, but dog meat consumption in South Korea seems to mainly use Nureongi breed (and other breeds), which is specifically bred and raised in a dog farm. Below should be the picture of this Nureongi breed.
No Caption Provided
  • Here's the video created by Visual Traveling, which was mentioned by Drew. Great video.

I have no idea which sauce was Drew referring to, when he talked about his food adventure in China. Neither do I know about the mushroom look alike fried potato. Don't speculate.

PS: If you don't have a premium membership yet, the 2 hours long interview with Drew about his trip to North Korea is both funny and fascinating.

• I finally found out while watching Korean movie, the milk like alcohol is called Makgeolli, a korean rice wine, mixture of wheat and rice. It seems like they drink it with bowl (the one I saw was steel bowl). Not sure about the pancake though, maybe it's Bindaetteok.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By applet0n

Damn, you really put a lot of effort into this.

Good blog post!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

That dog farm picture just made me extremely bummed out.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By TrashMustache

This fact checking idea is really creepy so please keep it up!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DeF

@Milkman said:

yea ... nothing I try can rationalize away that I'm not okay with that... :/

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NegativeCero

Good job, you've earned a follow.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Milkman said:

Yeah, they look so cute :(

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, great job digging all this stuff up. The dog breeding really is messed up, kind of like how they raise veal. Do you have any info on the rocket ship hotel? That thing looked crazy, I know it's not finished, but wondering if they have any pictures of the interior, or artist rendering of what they want it to look like. Great job again.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sub_o
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers