Killing yourself with an arcade cabinet

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thetenthdoctor

I about crashed my car laughing at the discussion about killing yourself while working on an arcade cabinet.  

Back when I was about 15 years old, I bought an MK1 cabinet from the local arcade going out of business for about $150.  It was originally a SFII cabinet they had shoddily converted, complete with extra button holes still open underneath the MK overlays around the joysticks and cobbled together interior where the boards weren't secured- but I digress.  Anyway, my idiotic 15 year old self was tinkering around inside it one day while it was plugged in AND turned on (genius level move, right?), and when I touched the bottom of one of the boards my whole arm went numb and did this weird, twitchy sort of convulsion and flapped around for about 5 seconds.  Even at the time I was smart enough to realize "Yeah, that was probably bad". 

Anyway, I'm a long time listener of the Bombcast and this is my first post here on the site.  The discussion about potentially dying during arcade cabinet repair had me laughing so hard and brought back that old memory I'd completely forgotten about, so I decided to finally join so I could comment on it.  Keep up the awesome podcast and site- you guys rock. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Welcome to the site dude.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Elazul

Welcome! Stay a while, won't you?

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fripplebubby

I'm suspecting that you actually did die there with the arcade cabinet and have dreamed up the rest of your so-called "reality". 

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Using your first post to describe a near death experience involving a videogame? Best first post I've seen. Welcome to the Bomb.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By captain_clayman
@UnsavedHero said:

Using your first post to describe a near death experience involving a videogame? Best first post I've seen. Welcome to the Bomb.

word.   the only other near death video game experience is playing games 16 hours a day and eating a ton of shit food and then getting a heart attack, and then somehow not dying. 

OR the time my friend was playing oblivion on his piece of crap computer and the disc drive started spinning really fast and then miraculously the oblivion DVD flew out and ricocheted around the room, nearly hitting him.
Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By countinhallways

GET OUT!!!... 

Wait, no. Sorry. Wrong thread. 
Welcome to the site. Have a good time and buy a t-shirt while you are at it.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thetenthdoctor
@Fripplebubby said:
I'm suspecting that you actually did die there with the arcade cabinet and have dreamed up the rest of your so-called "reality". 
As long as the game announcer yelled FATALITY! when my lifeless corpse hit the ground, I think I'm okay with that.  At least I went out with some good irony.  
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NickL

@thetenthdoctor:

I tried to think up something witty based on your obvious love for Doctor Who and your near death experience.

I failed.

Welcome anyways!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Sooperspy
@Fripplebubby said:
Everyone knows that Giant Bomb is too good to be true. We are all dead right now.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By Little_Socrates

Great way to enter the site, welcome. As a "longtime" fan of the Bombcast, I point you towards the Persona 4 Endurance Run and the Random Quick Look buttons as two great places to explore more content from these guys!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

What happened to the ninth doctor? Are you all doctors of arcade cabinets? Did you not learn from the nine previous doctors mistakes?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By psylah

If you're interested in more murderous Arcade cabinet madness, listen to the 8-11-09 podcast for some electrocution. If you like the Matthew Broderick-like fashions of Jared Rea, he also shows up on the bombcast on 11-03-09.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By rachelepithet