Low bitrate for the Bombcast since GDC...How come?

zaidr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zaidr

Hey,
Long time listener, but just signed up to the forum to post this...
I'm having a lot of trouble listening to your podcasts recently. It was perfect at first, but i think it started ever since the GDC podcasts, where I can't hear your podcasts well enough anymore. I listen to podcasts on my way to and from school / work, and even the low drone on the bus cancels out most of whats being said...to the point where i can't listen to you guys anymore. Its sad. You guys used to be my favorite podcast.

So, just a question...did you guys lower the bitrate for your audio files? I normally get your stuff by subscribing on iTunes..so, is it a problem there? Have you gotten reports about this before? Just to note, I still hear my other podcasts very well (CAGcast, ListenUp, etc.).

At first I thought it was the GDC podcasts that would have this problem, since you weren't in the normal studio, but the problem just isn't fixing itself, so...please fix it? i donno...I just wanna listen to you guys again. :(

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

According to itunes, the bitrate is 64kbps, and has been the same since the early episodes.

zaidr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaidr

Yeah, just went though the back catalog of them, and tested on GSpot...64kbps. Is there a difference in how they are recording it now as opposed to how it was recorded before? So, the bitrate is the same, but the sound just isn't that great because of their mics? I'm just going through some other podcasts' bitrates on GSpot, and a lot of them are 80kbps (Geekbox, RebelFM). Out of the Game podcast is at 96kbps...maybe it isn't the bitrate, but has anyone else had this problem? I just can't hear it well enough, even on full volume on my iPod anymore.

zaidr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaidr

does anyone know something I could do to get the bombcast to sound more loud? run it through some program to up the volume?

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Gmanall

Well a very impractical thing to do would be to open wav recorder pc full volume no mic pluged in and play and recored it then pla it back full sound . Other then that I have no clue 

zaidr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zaidr

Yes, that is very impractical...lol

I was thinking maybe a program to resample the file?

But, hasn't anyone else had this same issue? Am I really the only one who noticed that the sound went down?

zaidr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zaidr

Well, kind of solved it. I just teched up.

Got MP3Gain, found out Bombcast was at 86.1dB, moved it over to 96dB. Perfect.

Just have to do this every time a new Bombcast comes out....perfect....