Monkey

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By buzz_clik

So, from the Enslaved discussion on the most recent Bombcast, it seems to me that the US might be mostly unaware of the ace TV show Monkey. As a kid, I never missed an episode, and it's one of the few shows from my childhood that I can watch today and still enjoy with unbridled glee. I know it was big in Australia, but I never really wondered as to how much of a cult thing it was/is.

Am I wrong? Is it actually known in the US, and the Bomb crew are just out of loop, or is it more of a UK / Australian thing? 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Clicked through some of the links in that Wikipedia article. Never heard of it. 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

It's definitely more of a UK thing, but my godfather, who's Canadian, loved it, and I watched it with him a bunch when I was five. 

I really wanna go back and check it out.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buzz_clik
@iAmJohn said:
" It's definitely more of a UK thing, but my godfather, who's Canadian, loved it, and I watched it with him a bunch when I was five.   I really wanna go back and check it out. "
I bought the DVDs when they came out, and I totally loved the show all over again. I was actually surprised at how much I remembered, even recalling specific lines. The episode where they trip out on mushrooms is still pretty damn funny, and obviously has another layer now I've watched it as an adult.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn
@buzz_clik: Honestly, my most vivid memory of the show is not of the show, but of the Monkey punching puppet he had that he got somewhere.  That thing entertained me to no end. :)
psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By psylah

Your Australian TV show, Enslaved, and even the Dragonball series are based an ancient Chinese legend of a monkey man (named monkey).  A majority of his exploits were recorded in a very old Chinese manuscript called The Journey to the West (which explains the allusion in Enslaved's subtitle).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_west

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Slab64
@buzz_clik: That music in the YouTube clip was funky as all hell. Worth it for that alone.
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FateOfNever

I have never heard of this t.v. show before; I know of the story/legend that it's based on, but never heard of the show before.  After watching the intro though, I kind of want to see more of it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buzz_clik
@psylah said:
" Your Australian TV show, Enslaved, and even the Dragonball series are based an ancient Chinese legend of a monkey man (named monkey).  A majority of his exploits were recorded in a very old Chinese manuscript called The Journey to the West (which explains the allusion in Enslaved's subtitle).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_west "
Yup, s'right. Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett (the Gorillaz boys) also recently made a stage "opera" based on it, too. Check it out.

@FateOfNever:  Take a look at this and see if it's your bag.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I was surprised when they hadn't heard of it too. I guess it wasn't big over in the US.

Avatar image for deactivated-63a77fdfcbee7
deactivated-63a77fdfcbee7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What makes me upset is that nobody's mentioning Starzinger. I mean that fucking show was ace and it's also an adaptaion of Journet to the West but in space. I mean c'mon... SPACE!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

The GB guys may be out of the loop, but I'm not even sure where that would place me considering I'd never seen or heard of this before the last Bombcast.