Pizza Pizza is good Pizza

djghostmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

On the latest Bombcast, certain individuals claiming to be Canadian referred to Pizza Pizza as "terrible." Although all pizza joints and chains hold a different place in our hearts for what they offer, Pizza Pizza is still good pizza.

It is superior to Papa John's and anything Pizza Hut offers outside of the Personal Pan and the stuffed crust—which is not something any person should have more than once in awhile, and for the novelty. Pizza Pizza has variety, has a solid selection of apps for easy ordering, and still has the "get in before X time or its free" even when doing pickup!

So I say it again, Pizza Pizza is good 🍕!

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pizza Pizza is terrible. Had to move out of Ontario just to be further away from it. Seriously, sub-Dominoes. Is it as good as Pizza Hut? Maybe. Is that a good thing? NO!

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My favourite thing about Pizza Pizza is that there's rarely a line during peak lunch hours, so I can always get something quickly when I'm in a rush.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I think this might be the highest percentage of "pizza" in a thread title.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:

Seriously, sub-Dominoes.

as a man who lived in toronto for 8 years, followed by 5 years in nyc- no. pizza pizza is FINE- not great, but not bad. it is extremely middle-of-the-road, and i actually prefer it to dominoes.

Subterfudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a pizza fiend and I would rather take a cheap Pizza Pizza pizza than some of the restaurants where I've paid 60 bucks for a gourmet pizza. And my city likes to think of itself as a good pizza city. The people who wrote in shitting on Pizza Pizza are most likely narcs.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This is some corporate paid marketing right here I’m not sure what sort of human being could earnestly ENJOY Pizza Pizza. Like yah when it’s lunchtime and I want a slice and they are the only ones around I’ll eat it..but I’ll still be thinking about how not great it is while I’m doing so. Papa Johns ain’t great but I’ll choose it over Pizza Pizza about 10/10 times.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I had Pizza Pizza once.

It’s pure shit.

It’s Canadian Little Caesar’s, which is to say wonder bread, catsup, and easy cheese in the microwave would be on the same level.

Garbage-tier pizza-like.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I moved away from Canada about ten years ago. At one point my wife and I were reminiscing and somehow one of us brought up Pizza Pizza. Our reactions were immediate and similar:

"Oh. Oh, God."

Terrible pizza. Like nutter said, it's Little Caesar's level. I had friends who insisted on eating there from time to time, but mainly as a joke and not because it was any good. I never found the joke all that amusing, but at least it was cheap (and somehow still overpriced for what it was).

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nutter

So...look...I live in a good pizza town. I understand that I’m in something of an ivory tower in that there are a dozen go-to local pizza places near me that are fantastic.

I live in CT. I’m near enough where I’ll stop by New Haven for some of their pizza. I’m in New York enough to enjoy their pizza.

So, that preface aside, are we all referring to Domino’s, Pizza Hut, and Papa John’s as good pizza? Are these places preferable to a proper pizzeria?

I find Domino’s and Papa John’s acceptable as fast-food, but holy SHIT do they not hold a candle to a half-way decent local joint around here. I won’t reject them, but I’ll never seek them out, either.

The others...Pizza Hut, Papa Gino’s, etc...TRASH!

Pizza Pizza and Caesar’s are like being served dinner in Caina by Mephistopheles himself. Eating that filth is a cry for help.

EDIT: I wanted to die after eating Pizza Pizza cheesy bread.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hacksword

I live within a one minute walk to a Pizza Pizza. I'd rather drive to Dominos or Gondola pizza. Dellisio frozen pizza is better than Pizza Pizza.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shiftygism

I've had bad Little Caesar's and I've had surprisingly good to even great Little Caesar's...but then again, I prefer Great Value rising crust pizza to what seems to be America's favorite DiGiorno's and their cardboard crust, so what do I know?

I'm behind on the Bombcast, so I don't know what all was said, but as far as fast food is concerned...I take certain folk's opinions with a grain of salt after claims that the BK taco was anything other than near inedible shit.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Is Pizza Pizza a subsidiary of Little Caesar's? Their ads from back in the day had a vaguely roman dude as a mascot who said "pizza! pizza!" all the time.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: I thought it was a bootleg Little Ceasar’s when I first saw it, but apparently it’s an unrelated company.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizza Pizza is terrible. I only ate it all the time during grad school because it was the closest thing next to my house and open late, and wasn't super expensive. It was also Ottawa which was a garbage dump for food anyways.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not all opinions are valid or wanted, and liking Pizza Pizza is a fantastic example of that.

Literal dumpster food, saying it's for dogs would be an insult to dogs, and calling it pizza is not only an insult to pizza itself, but an insult to Italy and its people.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mellotronrules

if mcdonalds is allowed to call their pucks of cartilage and grey matter 'burgers,' then there's absolutely nothing wrong with pizza pizza's pizza.

it's dough, sauce, and cheese. sure there's a spectrum of quality there- but let's not act like pizza is some laureate-level prize to be won. y'all are being pizza classists, and i'm reporting you all for pizza hate crimes.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find Pizza Pizza to be borderline acceptable, but would never go out of my way for it. It's the pizza your work orders for a Friday meal or the pizza that lots of drunk people buy at 3am.

It's not terrible by any stretch but it's by no means good. It's passable in the way disappointing pizza always is, you'll eat it but not think too much about it afterwards.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Drakoji

I only order from Pizza Pizza because they have vegan options and my girlfriend is vegan, so if we want to eat Pizza, its the only option that we have sadly.

But yes, it is garbage.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nutter

@bmccann42: I’m pretty sure “offering” Pizza Pizza in the workplace is some sort of OSHA or human rights violation.

EDIT: Unless by “work” you mean penitentiary, and your “vocation” is inmate...

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

At this point I think we need a kickstarter to fly the Giant Bomb personnel out to Ontario and eat Pizza Pizza. Let them experience that garbage firsthand. Some of the California Crew might be able to stomach it, but the Beasters? No way in hell.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Can we all just admit that 90% of chain take-out pizza is garbage. Keep in mind that means 10% of chain take-out pizza is 'okay' so you REALLY don't have to defend YOUR local Domino's, Pizza Pizza, Papa John's, or you malls California Pizza Kitchen here.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: The west coast crew seems to eat A LOT of fucking garbage food. I’d take their advice on burritos and very little else.

I’d be curious to head out west and tour some local pizza places. Pizza options, in particular, sound desolate out there. I’ve been to California a handful of times, but I don’t recall ever eating pizza out there...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By monkeyking1969

@nutter said:

@rejizzle: The west coast crew seems to eat A LOT of fucking garbage food. I’d take their advice on burritos and very little else.

I’d be curious to head out west and tour some local pizza places. Pizza options, in particular, sound desolate out there. I’ve been to California a handful of times, but I don’t recall ever eating pizza out there...

I actually suspect that while in their younger days the whole crew could talk a good game about eating anything; but I bet they all are FAR more decering about food now. Vinny has even said that he doesn't have "weekends when they wife is gone" take-out orgies. And, Alex is far more likely to talk about something well prepared that he and his girlfriend have made. I would even say ist seems like Ben and Jan talk more about good food than they talk about take out. Jeff has said he doesn't get takeout pizza much anymore if ever. and if you listen he avoid Del Taco on trips down to LA. Even the last hold out of trash food, Dan over the last two years was less likely to eat Taco Bell like a he did even five years ago.

So...the next time we hear from Dan I BET he will say he is now Pescatarian or some sort of foodie fad! It is coming folks, he will turn into a really quality foodie in the next few years.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By notnert427

I have a pizza-related aside on an important realization I have made. I have concluded that thin pizza is garbage. Even good thin pizzas are still extremely disappointing. I am aware this will offend the entirety of NY, and I don't give a shit. You can enjoy folding your floppy pizza. It's not for me.

Also, while this hurts to say because I generally consider myself a traditionalist on most things, I'm done with Neapolitan pizza. I've had very good Neapolitan pizza in Italy that I would enjoy again, but here in the states, Neapolitan-style pizza translates to an excuse to sprinkle a tiny amount of ingredients in a 7" circle on a 12" crust and overcharge for it. It's never worth it.

Pizza isn't that fucking hard. Use dough that isn't rolled out to be paper-thin, throw a bunch of sauce on it, a bunch of cheese on top of that, and whatever toppings you want. I made one of the best pizzas I've had in a long time at home doing simply this. It took maybe 30 minutes and used roughly nine bucks of ingredients.

If I'm paying someone else for pizza at this point, it's for Chicago-style, Sicilian, or Detroit-style pizza.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am absolutely marveling at all the pizza connoisseurs in here... choosing the winners and losers of the low tier delivery pizza war.

Revolution of our time. o7

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Ben seems to be fighting the good fight with garbage food...dude’s a trooper.

Though Jeff does seem slightly domesticated these days...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: Yeah, I am not a fan or cracker crust pizza or so called thin crust that goes too thin. If the crust is all snapp and no bite and chew that is no good. I like a slim to medium crust, and give the choice between cracker crust and just a thick Sicilian-square I'll choose the Sicilian every time.

Most of the time I'm happiest with a New York, New Haven or Boston pizza...all very similar. I do have a love for greek pizza as well. The pizza place where I grew up served spicey sauced, medium crust with lots of olive oil pizza, it was cut into squares. Coming from Boston to that pizza was shock, but I learned to love it because it was well-made - just different.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: I can get down with all kinds of pizza, as long as it’s made well.

I do love that you can have a thin crust pizza, for

example, without smashing your diet’s head in with a rock. I rarely get a deep dish/Chicago/Detroit style these days as they’re fucking deadly for...that said, they can be super rich and delicious.

There’s a pizza place I used to go to in Hartford, CT that had a lasagne pizza. It was fantastic in that I-hate-myself-afterwards sort of way.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Humanity

This thread really opened the doors for people to openly admit they are monsters.

MikeyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is pizza pizza good pizza? No it's mediocre at best. Is pizza pizza good when it's the only place open at 2am and you're drunk out of your mind? Absofuckinglutely.

I have a weird custom pizza that I order, but it's bomb af. Thin crust, Thai chili base, chicken, green peppers, extra cheese and crushed chili peppers on top.

dk3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By dk3691

Toronto guy here. I keep a mental list of all the pizzas I straight up wont eat anymore, which was initiated by Pizza Pizza. Its trash.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, this is all I can hear in my head when you say "Pizza Pizza"...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pizza Pizza is often times the only thing open later at night, and when I want to stuff two medium pizza down my feeding hole at 3am as a form of self loathing and self pity then Pizza Pizza is a pretty good option as it's also very cheap.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themaniacsgnome: “Pizza Pizza: a pretty good option for self-loathing and self-pitty”

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Counter-point: Pizza Pizza is terrible.

canoraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizza Pizza is hot trash but not SO trash that it isn't an acceptable substitute for Dominos if you're somewhere the latter won't deliver.

MooseHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizza Pizza hands down sell the best creamy garlic dipping sauce. It makes eating the pizza's tolerable.

In all seriousness, it's a brand like Subway. Every single Pizza Pizza location tastes the same, smells the same, same quality you expect. That's partly why they have been successful. It's not the quality of the ingredients or flavours that make you buy it, but the convenience and consistent flavour of their products.

Fun fact, I live nearby the Pizza Pizza University facility where training happens for employees to make pizzas.

dennistm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizza Pizza is fine. It doesnt lend itself to leftovers.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Tom_omb

I only know of one Pizza Pizza. Before this podcast I thought it was a single independent shameless Little Caesar's rip off. I maybe ate there once, I have no memory of it. There are much better places to get a quick slice in downtown Vancouver.

DrPeatore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GINNO'S PIZZA, BABY!

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

So...look...I live in a good pizza town. I understand that I’m in something of an ivory tower in that there are a dozen go-to local pizza places near me that are fantastic.

I live in CT. I’m near enough where I’ll stop by New Haven for some of their pizza. I’m in New York enough to enjoy their pizza.

So, that preface aside, are we all referring to Domino’s, Pizza Hut, and Papa John’s as good pizza? Are these places preferable to a proper pizzeria?

I find Domino’s and Papa John’s acceptable as fast-food, but holy SHIT do they not hold a candle to a half-way decent local joint around here. I won’t reject them, but I’ll never seek them out, either.

The others...Pizza Hut, Papa Gino’s, etc...TRASH!

Pizza Pizza and Caesar’s are like being served dinner in Caina by Mephistopheles himself. Eating that filth is a cry for help.

EDIT: I wanted to die after eating Pizza Pizza cheesy bread.

When I visit my brother in Pennsylvania, he insists that we go to a local pizza place. As does my other brother in Tennessee. I found most local pizza to be greasy, and the kitchens look like. . .well if cleanliness is next to godliness, Mephistopheles must be the owner.

Little Cs may not be my first choice, but I will take it over local pizza any day.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers