Podcast App BeyondPod is Beyond Broken

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By VannaDwight
LochNessie82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for the tip on how to get the Premium Podcasts on Pocket Casts. I've been using BeyondPod since my first smartphone (original Motorola Droid). But if it makes life easier for my favorite website, I'll get used to a new app!

glitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to throw my hat in to Antenna Pod for being the least painless and most clean interface of the freely available ones, although it seems to freeze up my notifications tray whenever it updates.

And yeah @edgework you're not technically going into our phones and ripping BeyondPod out, but you'll have to forgive some people for feeling that way with how large the podcasts have gotten. Wish you could make it so that only the premium lines would block it, at least then I could still use the app.

Sykdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've contacted BeyondPod and would hope many other users would do the same.

Until then I'll just listen to free stuff and download premium podcasts manually.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can the premium feed not just be blocked? The ad-less premium casts are idiotic anyway.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AMyggen

Guess I'll download another podcast app now!

jagenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been using DoggCatcher for years.

Maybe I should investigate other apps when I get my new phone?

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glitches said:

Uh, just a random question but I haven't heard this kind of a problem from any other podcast makers that I listen to, is there anyone else doing this?

Ditto - Curious if anyone else causes similar issues?

Yeah, this is what I was wondering. I have noticed for a long time that when BeyondPod checks the Bombcast feed, it seems to download hundreds of kilobytes of data, almost like it's retrieving the entire feed or something.

However, of the over a dozen podcasts I subscribe to, that's the only one that does that. I don't know all the details (it's not like we were given any) but based on that observation, this appears to be more of a problem on the site's end, not the app's. But now I have to go searching for another podcast app. Between this and the continuing video quality problems that have been persisting since E3 (and which are continually ignored in the Bug Reporting forum, like most bug reports), this is starting to get really frustrating.

weavminas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lucky me, I just switched from beyond pod to pocketcasts after the material design update started making episodes as played even if I hadn't listened to then.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I regret buying BeyondPod since they made their (broken) streaming the default action for the play button. I'm guessing that is what is spamming requests possibly because they use TCP (I'm not sure I can check the packet communication without root)? I hope downloading each podcast can be a workaround. Network programming is a volatile nightmare.

Thanks for all the alternative podcast app suggestions.

@edgework No disrespect to the challenges you face because I personally know how IT work can go underappreciated but have you considered asking Rorie to publish/edit these notices? Blunt communication can feel like the most efficient between tech people but Rorie might be able to express public announcements in a more diplomatic way. He has even completed a couple Computer Science courses if I remember correctly.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only podcast I'm going to have to DL for now is Alt F1. Thanks for the heads up Edgework.

I also paid for BeyondPod. :(

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By rick

@rhombus_of_terror: Well hopefully the developers will get in touch with me. Maybe you can add to the chorus and file a bug with them.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glitches: We have to block it before it gets inside so we won't know if the podcast is premium or not. Like I said above hopefully the developers will get in touch with me.

smikwily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been a avid Pocketcasts fan for years. My only complaint currently is that the art for the Premium podcasts doesn't flow through, so I get the generic artwork for both Bomb and Beast Casts. Not a huge deal, as I'm currently working through a backlog of Bombcasts, so the number lets me know which is which, but I do wish it was fixed.

Only mentioning here as I don't know if the artwork is right on the site or wrong in the app itself.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I posted on their forums and a developer responded - http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showthread.php?3584-Giant-Bomb-blocking-BeyondPod-due-to-malicious-traffic

We are not sure what is the issue with this. Nothing has changed on our side to suddenly be causing any "malicious" traffic to their servers.

The only traffic we generate is from people that have subscribed to the feed itself.

I sent an e-mail to Gian't Bomb's support to see if they can explain what may be going on.

Matvande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is a bummer. Both pocket casts and podcast addict don't seem to allow for scheduled auto updates. If they do, the interface sure doesn't want me to know.

Maybe I'm just too old for it, but boy does the pocket cast interface suck.

Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matvande: tap the feed then hit the three elipses setting in top right, then hit settings. auto update is in there.

Matvande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhombus_of_terror: I couldn't find any settings to set a time though, just an ambiguous auto-update. My phone connection is also my internet connection for gaming, so I can't risk it randomly downloading a just release podcast during those important heroes of the storm games.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I paid for BeyondPod but whatever, it was Google Funbucks thanks to Google Opinion Rewards. Just bought Pocket Casts with my fun money too so I'll start transitioning over.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@villainy said:

Copied from forum post. This question has come up a few times. Add by URL with U/P included. Works just fine.

• Giant Bombcast (Premium) - https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbombcast/
  • Giant Beastcast (Premium) - https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbeastcast/
  • Premium Podcasts - https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Minor correction here, the Beastcast feed is https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/beastcast-premium/

jeffisbiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also in the boat of now looking at switching off from BeyondPod to another app. I've used it happily for 5-6 years now, but I was practically looking for an excuse to switch to Pocket Casts anyhow. Thanks GB/BP for accelerating the inevitable.

Phoenix8387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those making the transition from BeyondPod, you can make the transition easier by exporting your feeds and then importing them into your new podcatcher.

To export all your feeds to an OPML file, Menu > More... > Settings > Backup and Restore > Export To OPML. BeyondPod will export all your feeds grouped by their first category (Category 1).

the_devastator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks, i've used BeyondPod forever, but Giantbomb are the podcasts i listen to the most so might as well try this Pocket Cast.

Getter404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those making the transition from BeyondPod, you can make the transition easier by exporting your feeds and then importing them into your new podcatcher.

To export all your feeds to an OPML file, Menu > More... > Settings > Backup and Restore > Export To OPML. BeyondPod will export all your feeds grouped by their first category (Category 1).

This is what I did too, BUT keep in mind that it doesn't save your played/unplayed episode statuses (for me at least), unlike using BeyondPod's proprietary format to change devices. So... set aside an hour or so to manually re-list stuff.

polygon-al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, that is crap. I really like Beyond Pod App but I can understand why you need to block it if this is causing you guys a headache on your end. Shame the developers don't seem to be responding.

So out of all the other apps mentioned @edgework, do they fit the bill? They are not effecting the site/podcast in any way, right?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@polygon-al: the developer did respond and we're talking. We're probably not going to have to block the app.

polygon-al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@polygon-al: the developer did respond and we're talking. We're probably not going to have to block the app.

Awesome, that is good news. Cheers for updates and you working hard to get it fixed.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god cause I literally just bought it.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: I don't like the sound of that "probably"

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matvande: I use DoggCatcher, which I want to say I got for free somehow, and you can set the time of day you want it to update.

I haven't tried any other podcast apps but it does everything I need.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I had beyondpod for a long while, it had niggling little bugs but I didn't see the point in paying for another app.

Since getting pocketcasts I realised I shouldn't have cheaped out, pocketcasts is great. UI is wonderful and it gives me all the auto download and auto delete functionality without the bugs. Developers update frequently and give a good change log.

They also work well with the premium podcast channel

HnNaldoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlad said:

I had beyondpod for a long while, it had niggling little bugs but I didn't see the point in paying for another app.

Since getting pocketcasts I realised I shouldn't have cheaped out, pocketcasts is great. UI is wonderful and it gives me all the auto download and auto delete functionality without the bugs. Developers update frequently and give a good change log.

They also work well with the premium podcast channel

I actually prefer the auto download and cleanup of beyondpod. For some podcasts, I like to keep about 20 to 30 of the latest episodes or i like to download from oldest to newest. Pocket cast seems to be unable to do these. But the web player of pocket cast attracted me so i have made the swap too

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Well it might be easier, as long as it doesn't cause any trouble on your end, to make the switch to Pocket Casts. Then it's not something to worry about again.

Grievus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh. BeyondPod is the WORST! I switched from iPhone to Android this year and was in need of a good podcasting app. BeyondPod is just a hassle to use and organize. Get Pocket Casts and call it a day.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer, I've been using BeyondPod for years now. On the other hand, this made me realize that Pocketcast has robust web browser player with playback syncing and it's something I've been looking for a while. Good on me.

glitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the dev posted that he was going to try something over the weekend. Any news?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#90  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@glitches: It'll probably be the middle of this week at the earliest before there's any news on that front.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Junkboy

@edgework: Heads up on the beyond pod update that they will roll out to hopefully fix this. So as many people know the current Beyond Pod looks horrible on top of having weird playback, streaming, and library issues (on top of weird other quirks) since it was "redesigned".

Many users (like myself) disliked the redesign so much that they reverted and are still using 3.1.39 version so any update to their app will not be received by everyone and I bet there are many Bombcast listeners who download and listen that don't come to the forums that might not have upgraded. Even if it's only a few hundred if the bug (or whatever is causing this) still affects them you might still get hammered with traffic for those who still use the old version.

Just wanted to let you know. I'll wait till things works themselves out and if I have to switch because traffic on my old version (which I'd rather buy another app than update) is killing you guys Pocket Cast will be my new home. Thank you for your time and good luck.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you have a bit of money to spend I can recommend Pocket Cast app + browser player combo. It's perfect for me since I listen on my Android phone on the go and with wireless headphones from my computer at home. Everything is always synced up so you don't have to do anything. I had an iPhone before and iTunes is supposed to do this as well but it was always incredibly unreliable for me.

Avatar image for viciouscombover
viciouscombover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By viciouscombover

@peacefulpaul108:

Podcast addict has a really nice interface. That being said, it is the only one I have used so far :P

Avatar image for giant_frying_pan
giant_frying_pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slightly off topic, but I would recommend Podkicker for anyone looking for (yet) another alternative. Hopefully that app isn't causing any issues!

Steeltooth493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only issue that I'm currently having with transitioning over to Pocket Casts is that the Premium subscriber artwork for the Bombcast and Beastcast isn't correct. Pocket Casts currently does not have a feature that allows users to manually change album artwork on their own. After subscribing to the Premium feeds and discovering this, I contacted the Pocket Casts devs via Twitter. After taking a DM look at the feeds they said it was not something they could fix on their end. Giant Bomb would have to fix it and then you would have to refresh the artwork, which Pocket Casts can do.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By butano

@zaccheus said:

If you have a bit of money to spend I can recommend Pocket Cast app + browser player combo. It's perfect for me since I listen on my Android phone on the go and with wireless headphones from my computer at home. Everything is always synced up so you don't have to do anything. I had an iPhone before and iTunes is supposed to do this as well but it was always incredibly unreliable for me.

I had no idea about the Pocket Cast browser app! I've always been trying to figure out where to skip to on GB's site and it's always a bit buggy, so I just resort to playing it on my phone's speakers (or through headphones). Bit of a bummer it's $9 to use in the browser, but I'll try it out and see.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@butano: Yeah 9$ is a bit much since the app is so much cheaper, but there is a free trial and after using that it was a no-brainer for me to pay up. The convenience is great since I absolutely hate scrubbing through podcasts and switch between my phone and PC all the time.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been running BeyondPod and Pocket Casts since this started. I noticed today that Beyond pulled the new Pixels podcast, but Pocket did not.

Why did Beyond have to break? We had a good thing going.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've felt like BeyondPod was by far the most comprehensive podcast app out there...I've used PocketCasts in the past but when my HTC One X broke and I ended up with a Motorola G LTE I had to scrap it as it just crashed all the time. Will have to look for new options I guess.