• 88 results
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@icoangel said:

So true, people might forget but Vinny used to swear hardcore on the early podcasts.

My first episode of the Bombcast was the infamous "Vinny Says the C-Word" episode. My tender teen ears were shocked, shocked I tell you!

Anyway, the Bombcast without Jeff being able to say "you dumb motherfuckers" is a Bombcast diminished.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#52  Edited By sammo21

@sargon: its a big problem I have with media in general now I’m a parent. Everything feels like its cussing left and right these days. I get the frustration, just means I can only listen to podcasts with headphones or by myself in the car. All that said, I know I’m in a minority as most don’t care and then there are some parents who watch/listen to practically anything around their kids.

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've got two little kids of my own, and I sometimes listen to the Bomb/Beastcasts with them around and they enjoy it as well.

I also tell them not to use Those Words when those words come up in the podcasts. So when someone calls something "fuckin' dumb" I turn to them (8 year old son, 5 year old daughter) and say "You guys can't talk like this, okay?" or some other way of saying it.

They're gonna hear bad words and it's my job to tell them to not repeat it. How else are they going to be able to watch all the hot Minecraft content on this website?

PeterAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Language on podcasts doesn't bother me in general, partly because a) I don't have kids myself, b) I mostly listen with headphones in, and c) I don't usually listen to the Bombcast, just the Beastcast, where I think the language is relatively toned down, as others have already pointed out. But while the use of language on the Bombcast doesn't bother me in and of itself, I think maybe it is part of a general vibe that makes the Bombcast a lot less interesting to me than the Beastcast, which just feels more like the kinds of conversations I like to be involved in myself, at this point in my life.

Which leads me to my frustration with the misuse of the word "censorship" in a lot of these replies. Choosing different words for different situations isn't "censorship", it's reading the room, and it's something any adult with a functional work/social life does constantly. I 100% guarantee that a podcaster who swears every fourth word while recording makes conscious decisions about when/where not to swear in other aspects of their life - not because they're being "censored", but because that's how adults get along with other people.

That said, as others have pointed out, the swearing on the Bombcast does seem pretty appropriate to the tone they've deliberately set for that show (a tone which, again, generally doesn't work for me, but does for others). I won't say "If you don't like what they do, don't listen," because you've given the impression that you actually do enjoy most of what they do on the Bombcast. But I will echo what others have said about being careful not to equate swearing, which is a deliberate choice, with filler words, which are usually unintentional, and have a history of being used as an excuse to criticize someone when we've already decided we just don't want to hear from them at all, which clearly isn't your intent here.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just here to say that I hope they never do this.,

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

let your children say fuck

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They wouldn't even stop swearing when there was a kid in the control room. They really don't care.

theansah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By theansah

I agree with the OP. For those who disagree, please note that their message isn't "please protect my children from cursing." Nor is it "cursing is bad".

Rather, they are saying having children made them more cognizant of how language is used and how often swear words are being used as a vocal crutch. That is a point I agree with wholeheartedly. No one is asking for self-censorship, rather a gentle and fair criticism is being offered in how the podcast can improve.

Similarly, if someone only said "this thing is good" or "I like this thing a lot" without offering substantive insight, you might offer suggestions on how they could communicate more effectively. A suggestion like that wouldn't be advocating for censorship

No one is saying you need to have kids, or that the podcast needs to be family-friendly.

Edit: typos

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swearing is good, the concept of forbidden words is bad. I can't change the mind of any parent, be they the OP, Jeff, Vin or anyone else about whether or not they think their kids knowing swears/curses/naughty words is good/bad/other, (Or maybe sometimes just "you CANNOT say that in front of adults, ok"). Parenting is fraught and complicated enough in non-plague eras for me to know that it is not something I get to have a say over. Especially as I'm someone who decided not to have kids, so wtf perspective can I have on 21st C. parenting.

But I really find it kinda crazy hearing grown-ass adults choose to avoid using "those words" just in case someone who hears them thinks less of their blunt emotional state or wants to say that if you swear you don't know the expensive college words. I like coming here because of the vibe(The behavior of the staff being key). If the vibe changed to being "Our list of words we won't use got arbitrarily longer because we're supposed to be ashamed of swears", then they get to keep the money I paid and I go elsewhere. I mean, I get it - people live in a society, people want to be happy/sad/secured in the ways they like, so sometimes a person tries to drop in words that would never be on a banned words list in order to replace the word they use that makes a person they care about stop wrinkling their nose in that way. No not that way. The other way, the bad way. No not the good bad way.

Swear words are as creative as any other words because they are made out of the same ingredients as all the other words: Written letters, spoken sounds and our insane beliefs about what either of those mean. I bounced here(Originally finding out I liked GB from watching Waypoint streams), after I found some of the other places I was watching content from were so uptight about subjects like politics and behaviour that they felt like an active attempt to make the audience unable to actually express thoughts or feelings about those subjects(I need to say none of those disappointing places were Waypoint(Shoutouts & love to everyone in or formerly of Waypoint/ViceGames, I will get back to listening to the Radio but the restructure kinda had me shook). This isn't meant to say that GiantBomb has the most swears and that I'm going to die to defend that, just that I like it how it is, as it is. Honestly sometimes I'm impressed with the level of self-control on show.

Finally I'm not sure if it's disingenuousness or unawaredness but I feel anyone putting forth the the argument "Nobody's saying cursing is bad but we are also saying could ya curse less and cursing less will make it improve" has to understand they're arguing in bad faith.

tldrnb shitfuckass and dick are the only words that I can think of that have been used recently in content unless someone added an ing or a hole either way none of which feels like unnecessary content. I don't know about anyone else but I like the shitfuckass and dick so much here that I pay for it now.

And much respect to GB for their decision on today's content. Black Lives Matter.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm from Ireland and I have one consistent issue with profanity in podcasts. I hate when I hear adults use the word poop.

Shit is such a good word and is so satisfying to say.

No one under 5 is listening to these podcasts and no one older then five should use the word poop.

Crap is also acceptable.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a real problem

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@colmymeh said:

I'm from Ireland and I have one consistent issue with profanity in podcasts. I hate when I hear adults use the word poop.

Shit is such a good word and is so satisfying to say.

No one under 5 is listening to these podcasts and no one older then five should use the word poop.

Crap is also acceptable.

This made my night.

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally see your point and agree with it OP, I have young ears as well. I've learned from an early age that what goes in, is what comes out. It's not allowed in my work place so there for, I don't normally curse. Swearing here and there isn't so bad but when it engulfs every single sentence, that's when it's kinda ridiculous... But this website is a bunch of dudes and a gal sitting around shooting the squid so it's of course going to happen. I find Vinny's dancing around a word he wants to use but doesn't hilarious.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sto_ln said:

I totally see your point and agree with it OP, I have young ears as well. I've learned from an early age that what goes in, is what comes out. It's not allowed in my work place so there for, I don't normally curse. Swearing here and there isn't so bad but when it engulfs every single sentence, that's when it's kinda ridiculous... But this website is a bunch of dudes and a gal sitting around shooting the squid so it's of course going to happen. I find Vinny's dancing around a word he wants to use but doesn't hilarious.

What kind of weird workplace does not let you swear, Maybe because I am Australian and we have a more relaxed attitude to language but the weird hangups you guys have around this stuff really odd to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icoangel: It feels like it's much more relaxed in the UK compared to the US also. My employers have no problem with casual swearing, my folks swear as much as I do, my Grandma used to swear like a docker and even my nephews on my brothers side have been swearing since they could talk (although he has an unusually lax attitude to it tbf) Very few people make a fuss of it in my corner of the world.

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icoangel: I guess I work at a place that respects others?

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By north6

Interesting... thoughtful... critical. Those are some hard ass things to be week in and out, sometimes you fuckin' swear when you are trying to be these things whose standards are set impossibly high, or you are some sort of goddamn skilled orator.

Also, as you yourself have said, their audience skews younger, or they are hoping it does. Most businesses operate this way. You're aging out of your demo. Might I interest you in the rest of the fine CBS lineup?

millerj7687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargon: As a big fan of giant bomb and also a father of a 5 year old, I'm right there with you. I also understand not always wanting to have earbuds in when I'm with my family. My only suggestion is to expand by listening to other podcasts in addition to the bombcast and beastcast. I reserve giant bomb content for when I'm working or listen while gaming - both are times when I'm by myself anyway.

Anytime my family is around I will instead listen to Minnmax or Game Informer. They don't have a rule about what they can and can't say but they will go in and edit the profanity out so it is safe to listen around kids. Not to mention, they are also good podcasts with fun personalities so no harm in having more content to listen to.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar situation to OP where I have two young kids. For the most part, I don't listen to the podcast unless I'm alone (grocery shopping or my commute to work). I have considered politely asking both podcasts if they had ever considered toning down their language. It's ultimately a selfish question. I work in a fabrication facility so it's a bilingual shop: English and swearing. That bleeds into the office as well. I understand that to alter your language, it takes a surprisingly large amount of effort.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sto_ln: that's the thing that confounds me swearing and respect have almost nothing to do with one another here.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's a bummer. My kids are getting older and playing games with me and I'd love to share GB with them, but I don't feel like I can. Instead they watch the most irritating people on youtube (as far as I can tell this describes everyone on youtube).

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boatorious:

Listen, I like swearing. But, would Giant Bomb stop swearing if it meant keeping the kids off YouTubers? This is a good question.

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Casse1berry

I listen to podcasts on my phone with Bluetooth earbuds. Eventually I disconnect them and since I almost always have cargo shorts on, my phone bounces around the side pocket all day. My phone will sometimes keep the music player on the lock screen so you can pause the music without unlocking the phone. 3 times now this has happened where my phone must brush against my leg in my pocket just right and it pushes the play button. All 3 times as I'm pulling my phone out to stop it, it's suddenly Gerstmann saying fuck. I make sure to always close my music player lol.

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icoangel: It depends how you use words. If I said, "I disagree with your point and no longer wish to speak about this with you." is a lot different than saying, "You know what, **** you." It's the same thing, just different ways of saying it. One, respectful, the other... not so much.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SethMode

@casse1berry said:

I listen to podcasts on my phone with Bluetooth earbuds. Eventually I disconnect them and since I almost always have cargo shorts on, my phone bounces around the side pocket all day. My phone will sometimes keep the music player on the lock screen so you can pause the music without unlocking the phone. 3 times now this has happened where my phone must brush against my leg in my pocket just right and it pushes the play button. All 3 times as I'm pulling my phone out to stop it, it's suddenly Gerstmann saying fuck. I make sure to always close my music player lol.

The number of times this has happened to me are too many to count and it never happens when someone says something benign. It is always some sort of "FUCK MAN. FUCK THIS."

That said, I am pro swearing on the podcast.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was definitely not raised in an environment where swearing was seen as much of a problem so this all does just seem very weird to me.

Like I don't wanna be in the business of telling people how to raise children at all but knee jerk response to a few bad words is always gonna be like.. eh they'll be alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sto_ln: Those two things seem very different in tone and not really a good comparison. Swearing aggressively at someone is disrespectful but so is speaking aggressively to someone without the swears. "You know what, screw you!" is just as disrespectful imo as "You know what, fuck you!".

Saying something like "that game is fucking great" in casual conversation is really no less respectful here than saying "that game is really great", some folk don't like it but the vast majority of folk don't care on this side of the pond.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I can say that swearing doesn't bother me in the least, but I don't have any kids, so there is that. I do wonder how people who are worried about their kids hearing the swearing on the podcasts manage to consume any type of R or M rated material without the kids hearing/seeing it.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb has always been for an older audience. They frequently reference sex and drugs and other non kid friendly topics as well. Ain't no problem, and I don't think they should start catering for a younger demographic now. It's part of why GB is so successful imo.

The East content seems to me to be for a younger audience.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We live in a weird times,

Let them talk the way they like it.

If you dont enjoy it just move on.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As a librarian and scientifically curious person, I have complied a reading list for this thread. If you desire to be educated on the subjects of cussing, vulgar language, and expletives - I have made this list for you.

What the F: What Swearing Reveals About Our Language, Our Brains, and Ourselves
by Benjamin K. Bergen

Swearing Is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language
by Emma Byrne

Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing
by Melissa Mohr

F*ck you Asshole, Swearing Coloring Book For Adults: Abstract Mandalas And Flowers For Stress Relief, Swear Words Colouring Book For Adults
by Swear C.B Publishing

And, here are two journal articles for good measure, they are both by the same writing team, but they are experts in the field of taboo language.

"The Science of Swearing", Association for Psychological Science
Timothy Jay and Kristin Janschewitz ~ April 25, 2012

"The pragmatics of swearing", Journal of Politeness Research 4 (2008)
Timothy Jay and Kristin Janschewitz

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda wish they would want to tone it down sometimes, but I would not want them to feel impelled to do it by the site members to a degree of apparent self-consciousness resulting in an occasional stilted delivery. I'm not a parent for what it's worth.

sa_drone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarcasticmudcrab: Yeah, it's important to consider the audience for the respective podcasts as well. Both podcasts, like the site in general, are targeted pretty clearly and explicitly towards adults -- GBWest probably moreso just by virtue of having a crew that has a slightly higher average age.

I respect OP for putting their opinion out there, but I think it's an unreasonable ask to have them "tone it down" for two reasons: 1.) it implies that the use of profanity on the Bombcast is generally already excessive and worthy of being toned down (it extremely isn't), and 2.) it assumes that the content the crew are creating should be tailored to a specific subset of the overall audience. By this subset, I'm not just talking "people with kids", since I'd wager parents with young children make up a very sizable chunk of the audience... but rather, the request seems to target the intersection of "people with young kids who want to listen to the podcast with/around their children" and "people who have a problem with exposing their kids to occasional swearing".

Personally, I wouldn't want to intentionally expose young children to Giant Bomb content anyway. Not because of any issue with excessive profanity, but because I feel like they'd be bored out of their goddamn minds listening to a bunch of people at/near/over 40 talk about video games, often ones that were released well before the kid was born. And any kid that would be old enough to be interested in listening to content like that is also a kid who is old enough to have, hopefully, learned the proper place of swearing and learned not to just parrot the words in the way that a small child would.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NTM

As someone that doesn't listen to the Bombcast very much (next to never at this point), I still kind of know what you're talking about. My only suggestion is, perhaps find a better time to listen/watch it? Maybe after your kids go to bed and you have some time alone, if you don't need to be in bed for work the next morning or what have you. Or, it could be something you listen to as you go to bed. I don't disagree that swearing can become pointless and/or in excess in some peoples' speech (not saying I get offended by it, just that sometimes people insert profanity when it's not necessary), but at the same time, it's on you to find the right time/balance to listen to this stuff, just as everything else when you have children.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: I think many parents just don't want their children to have profanity as a thing they use often, and they need to understand when swearing is okay. Maybe some feel that the less they're exposed to swearing, the less likely they are to use it when they talk to people they meet. I assume most parents know that, at some point in their children's lives, their kid is going to say something profane, and at the same time, I doubt when they're old enough, that the parent will be offended by it if used... tastefully. It's just, you don't want to get a call from a teacher because your kid called the teacher a fucker for giving them an F. And you want your child to know that swearing probably isn't the best language to use when they're going out to find a job and being interviewed. Those are some examples. It might all seem kind of goofy, but I can understand it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can tell you from personal experience, stopping a kid from swearing is a difficult thing to do. Especially if they hear it really young and have no idea what it means. You're not going to tell them, you're just going to tell them to stop saying it. And they'll keep saying it because it winds you up.

Stupid kids.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#87  Edited By BladeOfCreation

@ntm: I get that parents don't want to expose kids to that sort of language at a young age. My question was more about the OP and, those agreeing with the OP, saying their kids are "always around" and therefore they are hard-pressed to find time to listen. In that case, I guess I just don't get how they can listen to or watch ANY mature content.

Also, in defense of the kid, that teacher IS a fucker. A pop-quiz the day before spring vacation? You effin' kidding me?! 😂

I should note that while I can't relate to having a kid, when I was growing up I would often help my parents figure out if a game or movie was okay for my brother, who is six years younger than me.

jsmith79327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the sweating.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The East content seems to me to be for a younger audience.

Now i understand all the Paw Patrol talk on the beastcast!

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly haven't noticed that much swearing. But generally I find swearing at your place of work to be fucking unprofessional, so I don't do it personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc
deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue warrior Quick Look any one?

Avatar image for deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc
deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points