Avatar image for midnightgreen20
midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By midnightgreen20

Now that pretty much every game has come out worth noting for candidates as GOTY, I have a feeling that XCOM is gonna be the Bombcast's choice. Personally, I believe it's the best game that came out and here is why...

Absolutely everything in XCOM must be attended to in order to succeed both on the battlefield and off. You cannot skimp on building satellites, you cannot hold out on building additions to your base, research must be done at all times, and you have to keep leveling up all of your roster. There is no real cheap way to get by in the game, which is both stressful, but really exciting once you get it all right and the tide of battle turns your way because all of your decisions have finally panned out for you. The same happens in battle, where taking a shot could be a great risk, but also great reward, and taking one step too far out could mean death for at least one of your characters.

There are no minute decisions in XCOM, and that is a feeling that is not often achieved in video games. Sure, there are times where there are multiple outcomes and you might not get the one that you want because of your actions, but you can still push through the game. Here, there is only success of failure. It's a rather harsh game, but the challenge feels very fair and for that, I find myself keep coming back no matter how frustrating it can be, and my victories feel so memorable, more than any other game I've played this year.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Kerned

It's certainly a great game, and it will certainly be in the running. But, as has already been discussed exhaustively, The Walking Dead is a strong contender as well. It's a tough race to predict.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thedj93

it's definitely a contender. in my eyes its between xcom, the walking dead, far cry 3, and a couple of other games im overlooking right now

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By LackingSaint

I definitely think the big fight will be XCOM and The Walking Dead, with it ending up as XCOM due to maybe Jeff or Vinnie arguing that The Walking Dead isn't fantastic because of the part where it's a game (which I personally wouldn't agree with, but the fact that it's even in debate would probably mean XCOM gets the prize). Far Cry 3, perhaps Assassin's Creed 3 for some background awards. Dust: An Elysian Tail and Nintendo Land will probably get a nod.

There's gotta be a "Best Running Up & Stabbing Dudes Game" award with Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman: Absolution, Dishonored and Hotline Miami in the running.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hunkulese

Xcom vs The Walking Dead is interesting because both really only shine in one aspect. Xcom has great gameplay but everything else is pretty meh while The Walking Dead has a great story and not much else. I can't really say which I prefer. I found that Xcom got kind of boring and repetitive halfway through once you figured it out and The Walking Dead really had no gameplay whatsoever. Obviously I haven't played it but from the quick look and listening to reactions it sounds like Far Cry 3 could be the game that brings everything together and could be a strong contender.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikey87144

The top 5 willl probably be Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Diablo 3, Xcom, and Dishonored. If I had to pick the winner I think it will be walking dead.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

@mikey87144: They were universally more positive towards Sleeping Dogs than Diablo or Dishonored.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rokkaku

An X-Com, Walking Dead, Far Cry 3 shootout seems inevitable unless I'm making any glaring omissions here. Journey will get attention, perhaps even a doomed plea from Brad, but nothing else comes to mind. I do expect Sleeping Dogs to get a lot of love, but to not make it to the final round.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

NeverDead.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikey87144

@Hunkulese: Right you are. I also forgot Journey came out this year. Maybe Journey might switch places Dishonored.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

Prediction?

and XCOM.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By mtcantor

I suspect Walking Dead.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bell_End

firstly i predict at least 8 GOTY prediction threads everyday until then.

secondly i think Far Cry 3 will be GOTY with XCOM and TWD as runners up.

what a great gaming year its been!!!

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SharkEthic
kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kishinfoulux

@pyromagnestir said:

Prediction?

and XCOM.

LMAO. Love it.

Also sounds like Jeff was strongly hinting at Far Cry 3 on the latest Bombcast. I thought for sure it'd be a battle to the death between X-Com and The Walking Dead, but now I'm not so sure. This year promises to be the most fascinating.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By AndrewB

Far Cry 3 makes top 3, but the story bummer deflates the enthusiasm and it comes down to X-Com and The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead wins.

Then Dave comes along and deletes the podcast recordings, replacing them with his own GOTY podcast where he proclaims the winner to be Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By jonnyboy

Funky Barn. The funkyest Barn Simulator of 2012.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlashDance

X-Com is probably the only game they could all agree on. I'd say that's a safe bet.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DystopiaX

@SlashDance said:

X-Com is probably the only game they could all agree on. I'd say that's a safe bet.

It's either that or Walking Dead. Don't forget that it's not necessarily consensus, last year SR3 lost more because the advocates for that game didn't want to argue anymore than they were convinced by the opposing arguments.

For this reason I think it'll be whatever Brad/Patrick back, because given previous GOTYcasts Vinny/Ryan/Jeff are far more willing to just give up. And based on what those 2 like I think that they'd pick Walking Dead, so Imma go with that.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Jeff seemed rather lukewarm on the prospect of playing TWD, so, collectively, certainly not that game.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DystopiaX

@kishinfoulux: Patrick has stated that the way the story wraps up DQs it for him, and I believe someone else (Ryan/Brad maybe) said the same. So I doubt it. Especially since Patrick seems to value story more than almost anything else in games.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Nilazz

Fez anyone? Probably not but I hope it at least makes onto the top ten.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Im thinking Far Cry 3 both personally and every one seems to like it on the staff. I don't get why people don't like the story I wonder what ending they got?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kishinfoulux

@AndrewB said:

Far Cry 3 makes top 3, but the story bummer deflates the enthusiasm and it comes down to X-Com and The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead wins.

Then Dave comes along and deletes the podcast recordings, replacing them with his own GOTY podcast where he proclaims the winner to be Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

I really hope they realize, and they mostly said as much, that the story being a bummer was mostly due to their silly expectations about what they WANTED the game to be. Should Far Cry 3, which they all seem to think is a blast, be penalized due to that? I don't think so, but it will.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kishinfoulux

@DystopiaX said:

@kishinfoulux: Patrick has stated that the way the story wraps up DQs it for him, and I believe someone else (Ryan/Brad maybe) said the same. So I doubt it. Especially since Patrick seems to value story more than almost anything else in games.

I believe it was Brad and I think that's absolutely stupid. If you're playing Far Cry 3 for the story, you're doing it wrong.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB

@kishinfoulux said:

@AndrewB said:

I really hope they realize, and they mostly said as much, that the story being a bummer was mostly due to their silly expectations about what they WANTED the game to be. Should Far Cry 3, which they all seem to think is a blast, be penalized due to that? I don't think so, but it will.

But I get the impression that, while they try to acknowledge that it was partly due to their expectations, they were generally underwhelmed by the story. Honestly though, if the gameplay mechanics are sound, that's all I personally care about. It's not like X-Com has a groundbreaking alien story to tell (unless there's some crazy revelation I haven't come across just yet - oh, and I'm pretty sure I know the one they're going to try to reveal at the end), but I still think it's one of the best games of the year.

Again though, it really comes down to their perceptions of that versus the other two games I mentioned. Just as with X-Com, where I freaking love that game so far, I would personally not put it above The Walking Dead for the impact it had on me this year. We have a few weeks for that to change, of course... I just don't see those of them who have experienced The Walking Dead giving any quarter to Far Cry 3. Like I said, I figure the real battle will be between X-Com and The Walking Dead.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@kishinfoulux said:

@AndrewB said:

Brad said that is was not just their crazy expectations for a huge twist that made the story a bummer. Just that it's started off strong with a good premise and supposedly fails to do much with it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@kishinfoulux said:

@DystopiaX said:

I believe it was Brad and I think that's absolutely stupid. If you're playing Far Cry 3 for the story, you're doing it wrong.

Except not really, when Far Cry 2 established a wonderful narrative pedigree. That was a game that meditated on the nature of conflict and the monsters men can become in war. It wasn't all exposed in cutscenes and, indeed, most of it was through gameplay, but there's no denying that Far Cry 2 had a story to tell and a point to make. How well that story and that point was executed is dependent on the player, but to say that Far Cry is another mindless shooter in a sea of mindless shooters does a great disservice to the amount of thought and care put into each title's underlying theme.

TL;DR - nuh-uh!

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By chilibean_3

Jeff is going to lobby hard against Walking Dead for GOTY and the comments will be angry. It will probably still win against XCOM and Far Cry. Jeff will lobby for Syndicate and what kind of person would do that oh my oh no. Lots of discussion about the Year of Downloadable Titles.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

There is a chance that Alex will be on the podcasts. If that happens I think Walking Dead has a huge change of winning. Then it just be Jeff against five others who liked the game to various degrees, including Alex who loves it.

Avatar image for purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@kishinfoulux said:

@DystopiaX said:

The story may not matter to you, but it certainly does to Brad and many other people. Different people put more emphasis on the different aspects of the games they play. If they feel that the story was the weakest part of the game, then they (probably) won't vote it as Game of the Year.

My guess is that the top 3 will be Far Cry 3, XCOM, and Walking Dead, with Journey as a distant #4. The Walking Dead will win.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

Shit may be all fucked up, you guys.

aegies You know, I AM in San Francisco week after next.

Alex Navarro, trying to visit for GOTY time. He's said the GB podcasts might actually be done before he arrives, but IF THEY WAIT FOR HIM FOR THE DELIBERATIONS, THAT WILL INDEED CHANGE EVERYTHING. Rhythm Heaven Fever is suddenly A CONTENDAH FOR TOP 10! Hotline Miami! THE DARKNESS II!

Also, it pretty much kills all chance for competition against The Walking Dead.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cutyoface

It will either be The Walking Dead or X-Com.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By pr1mus

Up until this week's bombcast it felt like TWD was a lock. Then this week happened and they finally acknowledged the game has issues and maybe not the most important game in the history of games like they've been elevating it for months now. On is tumblr Jeff also said he was tired of hearing about it and playing it here and there. That certainly doesn't sound like someone who will back this game.

I think in the end XCOM is the only game everyone on the crew likes. It may not be everyone's favorite but it doesn't have too. As long as there isn't anyone on the crew that clearly opposes it i think it has better chance than TWD.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By ThePickle

You heard it here first: Jeff will never play the Walking Dead.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By smcn

Jeff is too good at his job to not play The Walking Dead, but he probably won't like it.

In the last podcast they seemed to talk more about the story problems with Far Cry 3 than the positive aspects. It will be argued for, but I still think it's mainly between XCOM and TWD. People talking about TWD's technical issues when it comes to GOTY, forgetting that XCOM was just as bad in that respect.

Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sless

Everyone knows Jeff is going to lobby hard against The Walking Dead.

jackgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jackgb

I think XCOM might win as a compromise choice, since everybody on the crew liked it, as far as I could tell. Jeff probably won't like TWD, Brad seemed pissed off on principle by Far Cry 3, and I think that Ryan might lean toward XCOM and lobby for it.

The real question is, Shoemaker filibuster this year? I think if Far Cry 3 starts gaining momentum, he might do it. I like them, so, I'd be for it.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dtat

Everyone forgets about Journey. Someone brings it up briefly. Jeff and Ryan immediately shoot it down, because "It's barely a game. I mean how much do you actually DO?" Then I sigh and continue listening anyway.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Pr1mus said:

Up until this week's bombcast it felt like TWD was a lock. Then this week happened and they finally acknowledged the game has issues and maybe not the most important game in the history of games like they've been elevating it for months now. On is tumblr Jeff also said he was tired of hearing about it and playing it here and there. That certainly doesn't sound like someone who will back this game.

I think in the end XCOM is the only game everyone on the crew likes. It may not be everyone's favorite but it doesn't have too. As long as there isn't anyone on the crew that clearly opposes it i think it has better chance than TWD.

Yeah the last Bombcast really showed a chink in TWD's GOTY chances armor. They've all praised it to high heaven, but they sort of tore it down a bit this time. I can see where Jeff is coming from also, but I really hope he doesn't let that affect his personal opinion of the game, because that would be kind of shitty.

@Dtat said:

Everyone forgets about Journey. Someone brings it up briefly. Jeff and Ryan immediately shoot it down, because "It's barely a game. I mean how much do you actually DO?" Then I sigh and continue listening anyway.

And rightfully so. If Journey won GOTY here I'd vomit all over their faces.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dtat

@kishinfoulux said:

@Pr1mus said:

Yeah the last Bombcast really showed a chink in TWD's GOTY chances armor. They've all praised it to high heaven, but they sort of tore it down a bit this time. I can see where Jeff is coming from also, but I really hope he doesn't let that affect his personal opinion of the game, because that would be kind of shitty.

@Dtat said:

And I read comments like this, sigh, and continue reading anyway.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By musubi

Meh. I thought X-Com was okay but it's not even on my top 10 for the year.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By bushpusherr

@kishinfoulux said:

Journey deserves it way more than The Walking Dead does.

I think XCOM will take it. The bugs are a minor downside, but The Walking Dead has been plaqued by technical issues throughout each of it's episodes, so that won't be a deciding factor for either of them.

I don't expect, but I hope that Journey takes the number 2 spot. It actually evoked it's emotional responses through gameplay, not cutscenes.

@Dtat said:

I don't necessarily think that will happen, ESPECIALLY with Walking Dead on the table. If that argument comes up, Journey is way more of a game than TWD is. Also, I don't really remember what Ryan's thoughts were, but Jeff seemed to really like what he played of it when they talked about it during the time of it's release. He was so devastated by the loss of his buddy that he actually stopped playing.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AuthenticM

I don't think anyone will choose The Walking Dead as the GotY. They've all admitted how barely a game it was. XCOM has the most chances, followed by Far Cry 3.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By spankingaddict

I really hope they consider FEZ and Dust : An Elysian Tail . I'm sure they will ... or it'll be a disappointing GOTY podcast for me .

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cthomer5000

@spankingaddict said:

I really hope they consider FEZ and Dust : An Elysian Tail . I'm sure they will ... or it'll be a disappointing GOTY podcast for me .

I think Fez will definitely be in their Top 10. It generated a pretty serious amount of discussion and enthusiasm early in the year.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Twiggy199

I'm gonna have to throw Mark of the Ninja in the works.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By phrosnite

A terrible year with as terrible GotY awards. I'm guessing XCOM or Journey to be GB's GotY.

Edit: If TWD wins it would be hilarious.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cold_Wolven

XCOM is definitely a strong contender and so is Far Cry 3 and Diablo 3 so this year will be a hard year for which will win and it will be great listening to the GB crew argue on the Bombcast their picks. I'm going to say Diablo 3 will win though.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By Vinny_Says
  1. Far Cry 3
  2. XCOM
  3. TWD
  4. Journey
  5. Forza Horizon
  6. FEZ
  7. Trials Evolution
  8. Mass Effect 3
  9. Halo 4
  10. Sleeping Dogs/Syndicate

Or something like that....how far off am I? (The order might be different of course). I'm trying to think about the games that were liked by most of the staff or where a minority simply felt indifferent towards the game.