Avatar image for deactivated-5835c1f29813e
deactivated-5835c1f29813e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all,

I'm a premium member, but I still listen to the normal Bombcast and Beastcast because I actually enjoy the ads. I think that they're entertaining and provide a nice break in the podcast.

I can't be the only one that does this can I?

Jarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, no you are not.

Though in my case it is also partly because it is always the non-premium versions that show up on the front page, and I don't want to go digging through the menus to get to the premium version.

ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the ads. They're fun.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

@jarno said:

... I don't want to go digging through the menus to get to the premium version.

All you have to do is hover over Podcasts and it's right there.

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I used to, but now that Jeff mostly solos them except when Brad joins in sometimes, my heart's not in it. It's kinda just Jeff reading ad copy most weeks IN A LOUD VOICE, and they don't really turn it into a bit anymore. I feel like you really needed Jeff and Vinny playing off of each other for it to be worth it.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I have no time in my life for ads — goofy bits or not.

I pay for an ad-free experience, and I like it.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hippie_genocide

I listen to my podcasts through the Overcast app, which gives zero shits that I'm a premium member on GiantBomb. Usually, I'll skip through the ads (sorry Brent). It's just not the same as when Jeff and Vinny would do them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

@hippie_genocide: You need to subscribe to the Premium RSS feed if you want the Premium version, not the standard feed.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I listen via PocketCasts and I'm just too lazy to set up the RSS feed. I enjoy the ads as well.

Wired_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easier for me just to downloading the podcast with all my other podcasts, so yeah I just get the free one. That and the commercials can actually be really funny.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's the only time Brett talks so I never skip them. That dude is super quiet all the time.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this stuff is tracked, someone at GB probably has these stats. I'd wager that theres still plenty of premium members that listen to the free podcast (figure pulled from my ass: at least 30%)

Buddy900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always forget to download the premium pods till i hear the add and by then i enjoy them so its all good

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I never bothered to change my pocketcast feed to the premium version, and if I did I would lose the sick cover art and get this shitty green thing like I get for danswers and other stuff.

And the ads are occassionally entertaining, more so at the beginning of the run but I kinda knew they wouldnt keep that up. XD

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mirado

@bisonhero said:

I used to, but now that Jeff mostly solos them except when Brad joins in sometimes, my heart's not in it. It's kinda just Jeff reading ad copy most weeks IN A LOUD VOICE, and they don't really turn it into a bit anymore. I feel like you really needed Jeff and Vinny playing off of each other for it to be worth it.

Same here. It's just lacking the level of hilarity that the old ones used to have.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ads suck and I hate them. I stopped listening to the Ice T podcast because of all the ads. Thank god GB has "premium" though I probably would have stopped listening without it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Who would have thought that such a small business man could have such a big, heartfelt impact...

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJBSterling

I think I stopped listening to the ad version of the bombcast after Vinny left for New York?

I think that timing works out but feel free to correct me.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zelyre

I really miss Small Business Man. Those were the best ads.

I still listen to the ad version, but only because I'm too lazy to mess around in PocketCasts. I'm sure I'll end up switching over to the premium cast one day...

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to free podcast because I can't figure out how to get the premium one via iOS.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

me too

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I don't even know how to get the premium podcast on my phone. Which I am totally ok with because the ads are silly.

(I'd also love some day to see a study on the venomous hate people feel for a 30 second ad. Sometimes it seems overly aggressive to me)

philipaubrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually forget about listening to the premium cast and end up with ads but I don't really mind. Its always a welcome break to help me pretend I'm not totally procrastinating from whatever I'm doing at the same time. The only ads that really make me angry are auto-play video ads.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nope. I listen to all the regular ad versions as well. The ads are really well done and unobtrusive (I think), and if it helps the site get more money, then all the better.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chango: It only helps the site make money if you use those promo codes for the services they offer. If you never use those codes, then they make more money from your premium dollars. Obviously you subscribe already, so listen to whichever version you want, but I wanted to point out how the ads on podcasts work.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarno said:

No, no you are not.

Though in my case it is also partly because it is always the non-premium versions that show up on the front page, and I don't want to go digging through the menus to get to the premium version.

Same, the non premium are always on the main page and i'm to lazy to search plus the ads are pretty entertaining IMO. I honestly didn't know there were 2 different versions of the podcasts for a long time anyway.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do. Maybe if there'd be an ad every ten minutes and the guy reading those ads would be as annyoing as 99% of the regular commercial guys, I'd bother going for the premium podcast. But as of now it's doesn't matter at all.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I download the Bombcast automatically with an app and it defaults to the ad version. I don't have any complaints.

On-topic: does anyone know if I can get the RSS feed of the Beastcast? Can't seem to find it in my app's list of podcasts and it's kinda annoying that I always have to download it manually.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subscribed to the normal Bombcast feed for a long time up until very recently, but I eventually switched to the Premium feed once the ads didn't feel particularly entertaining or funny anymore, and I kept hearing the same ones over and over.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do as well. Used to be because of Small Business Man. Now it's because I'm too lazy to add yet another bombcast feed into pocketcasts.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to the free ones always too... it's like missing content!

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ads never take long enough for me to care about adding the premium feed. Though the amount of attention they seem to get here is interesting.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Onemanarmyy

ads are not as great as the small businessman days, but they provide nice breaks in the podcast for me to stop listening for a while and pick it back up later.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Sessh

I've always liked the way the do ads, so why not listen to them? Right now the Beastcast ads are pretty funny, on par with Small Business Man.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ads have not been as great as they were during the Small Bussinessman era, so now I've been listening to premium and have not looked back.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easy to navigate on a PC, but finding previous podcasts that aren't on the main page is impossible on mobile. I have to search google for the date of bombcast/altF1/beastcast I need and it usually goes to the free one, so that's what I download.

It' blows my mind that there isn't a list page of previous podcasts on mobile. The list to the right gets cut out because of the reactive design of the site. I brought it up in the feedback/bug forum, but I guess no one cares. This website is fairly robust otherwise.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only started listening to the podcasts after getting a subscription, it was the video content I got it for. At first I did the premium, but realized there were these weird edits and skips. Then one day I accidentally listened to the normal podcast and realized, wait a second. They don't do one ad and run into every episode. Its all done live, in person. Its always different, off the cuff. Its got the same things I come to GB, personality, personalized content and so on. Like, by skipping the ads I am essentially skipping jokes, interaction and personality..the very things my 3.25 or whatever a month goes too.

So what if they are ads for things that, if done in the traditional "i record it once and then just insert that ad-clip into all my future videos" I'd skip passed/shy away from? So what if they are for products I've no interest in. I'm paying, essentially, to see personalities I like talk about whatever they want, if it just so happens to be them trying to sell me something then so be it, I'm enough of an adult that despite being a fan of their personality, if its not a product I'd already buy, advertisements don't sway me.

That said we had a thread earlier, about how it seems like anything being advertised on a podcast is low-rent and kinda..worse off for it? I do get that feeling. Not because of GB, but because of the general way podcast ad's are done. If every single podcast did their Ad like these guys, unique every single time, then man would my opinion be different. Alas, only GB does it 'right'. So there you go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most the time I listen to the podcast I'm doing so via my phone anyways and don't feel like going through the extra steps to avoid the ads. That said they were actually kind of entertaining for a while (small businessman stuff) but now I'll fast forward them if I'm not driving or something.

Also, just me or is the number of advertisers available to podcasting seem real limited? It'd be kind of cool if there were more relevant ads but I can see why they can't exactly be having advertising for games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Same.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's Crunchyroll ad tech is pure gold.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the convenience of the iTunes feed. Plus, the ads fill more time, which is a bonus at my boring night job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Still listen for free, too lazy to set up RSS feed properly.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I still listen to free mostly because I can't figure out how to get the premium bombcast to work with my podcast app.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good times with GB ads! Especially when they cross into obviously unknown to them territory.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no premium version on iTunes that I'm able to subscribe to and the one on the website doesn't remember my playback position.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no premium version on iTunes that I'm able to subscribe to and the one on the website doesn't remember my playback position.

That's exactly what's keeping me from listening to the premium podcast. I'd like an ad-free podcast, but I don't feel like going through extra steps for it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I did too for a time, but recently I find myself skipping them and wishing I was listening to the premium feed instead, mostly due to repeats, it gets old. just haven't made a full switch yet.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to the free feed too but that's only because I don't know if there's anyway to get the premium feed on Instacast. I always fast forward through the ads.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The only good ad is a dead ad.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who will pretty much watch/ listen to the guys do anything I like listening to the ad's as they just spitball some things on the fly. It's also where one of the more recent best GB things came from -

Loading Video...

They're pretty harmless, short and fun. And in a perverse kind of way I find it interesting to know who GB is running ad's with, what the crossover is. 'Oh that podcast also has Casper but doesn't have that Fantasy Football one', etc.