Premium Members! Bombcast: With Ads or Ad-free?

• 162 results
Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll Premium Members! Bombcast: With Ads or Ad-free? (979 votes)

With Ads 34%
Ad-Free 12%
Jeff's Radio-DJ voice is awesome 53%
Other 2%

Which flavour of Bombcast do you most enjoy!?

So a line has been drawn in the sand! For those who don't know, premium members are getting an ad-free version of the bombcast in their premium podcast feeds (continuing the site's standing commitment to no ads for premium members). I think it's a nice gesture and am happy the option is there.

However, I personally fucking love the delivery and method of ads in this week's bombcast, and honestly squarespace aint bad so I prefer the with-ads flavour. (although, if the ads start getting bad and/or lame, I'll switch over)

How about you!?

• 
joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If they're all done as amazing as the first ones, I'm all for it.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY IS MY MICROPHONE OFF!?!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they put the same gusto into the ads each week, I'm on board.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Well shit I had no idea we got a premium version with no ads. That is awesome.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The podcast app I use has a button to skip 30 seconds ahead, so ads in podcasts have never been an issue for me.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SharkEthic

So the ad-free version starts with the crew talking for 5 minutes about the ad Jeff just read out loud but you didn't get to hear? Yeah? Cool.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By fattony12000

I'm premium.

I'll take Jeff ads.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

As long as I get to keep hearing the Wii Shop Music during the ad then ads all the way.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

If they're giving an ad free 'cast and you want ads, you can just subscribe to the non-paid version of the RSS feed, so what does it matter?

I'm paying for a subscription and I hear the same damn Squarespace/Netflix/Audible/Shutterstock/whatever ads on every podcast I listen to. If I can avoid it on just one of those, I'd feel a whole lot better.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:

If they're giving an ad free 'cast and you want ads, you can just subscribe to the non-paid version of the RSS feed, so what does it matter?

Exactly - this thread is just to gauge what people think of the two flavours of the podcast. Seems like a few people do like the ad-free version, which I find interesting.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By abendlaender

I don't care enough about the ads to change my BeyondPod subscribe thingys and have my Bombcasts mixed with the other premium podcasts, so with ads. If they get some money for 3 hours of excellent content each week: Good. That's just fair.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It was really weird listening to the add-free version and hear them talking about doing an add without actually hearing it. So with adds from now on, especially when they do it, like they did this week.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By probablytuna

If they need the advertising money, more power to them. Also since they do the ads themselves it's great. Also I can't be bothered downloading the premium version off the site when I have the Bombcast library neatly stored on iTunes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mike

I don't mind in-podcast ads at all if they're read by one of the crew.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't know what a premium podcast feed is, or how to get it. And I'm not sure I went to spend the few minutes I would save with an ad-free version, looking for the instructions.

So I'll stick with the regular one.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Gotta go with ads. If they were separate audio segments they cut in I would go no ads, but as it is I'd feel like I'm listening to an incomplete Bombcast.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For now, I will listen to the ones with ads, but if it it becomes too forced or unfunny or whatever I'll probably switch.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think us premies should get an ad free bombcast, but since the premium podcast feeds suck to deal with i'd end up listening to the version with ads anyway so meh.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

With ads because I use the iOS podcasts app and trying to listen to the premium version is more of a hassle (awesome!). Also, the ads are minimal, so yeah, who cares, ultimately.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I'm tired of listening to Squarespace (and Audible/LegalZoom/Stamps) ads, but I do like this style of advertising. It's more like a feature rather than an inconvenience to me.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For now, count me in as "with ads," but only because I can't figure out how to get Instacast to subscribe to the premium feed. As long as the ads remain as they are (mostly non-intrusive, read by the crew, with a little of their sense of humor) I won't mind.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshwent

As long as they continue to be able to be the lovable assholes they are and completely make fun of the product, ads all the way.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

When I say give me Bombcast, I mean all the bombcast. The ads don't bother me one bit. They've been in most of the other podcasts i listen to, so it's not really anything new for me.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After little consideration, I prefer the ad-free version. Listening to an ad was novel one time.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they did it was entertaining and it's nice just in terms of I guess being a sign of somebody finally listening to them about the value of the bombcast.

I wonder if Jeff will do them all. I want Vinny to tell me about the latest great offer from Vinn Co. using promo code AGEFanatiq BOMBCAST9.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LikeaSsur

I'll listen to the ad because listening to 30 seconds of Jeff talking about something I'll never use is not going to kill me and I'm not pretentious enough to pretend that I deserve an ad free version.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ad free. Jeff delivers but....fuck the man.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur: yeah, people don't deserve to make their own decisions. That's way too pretentious.....

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Samaritan

Ads! The novelty might wear off eventually, but listening to Jeff speak in radio voice about random products is fun.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they keep delivering it like they did the first time around I'll keep listening to the ad-included version.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The ad was funny, and this week they worked it in at a break, so as long as they keep doing it right I'll keep downloading the standard version. Though if they start going down that road where the flow of a good conversation is interrupted by "hold on I need to read this thing. THIS PODCAST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY AUDIBLE THE INTERNETS LEADING...", I'll switch. Luckily, the fact that there IS an ad-free feed means that if they DID start doing it this way, the cuts would be super awkward and just wouldn't work. I trust 'em.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With ads! They handle them well and have the potential to be really funny.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to keep listening to see how they change the delivery every week. This weeks had the nintendownload-E-Shop music!

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It took me off guard to be honest. I've been listening to the Bombcast for years and it was the only to not bombard me with ads at the beginning. It felt like a premium experience to hit play and get right into the show. The ad was strange and I didn't care for it (Jeff's radio voice was awesome btw), so I'll be going with the classic, ad-free bombcast.

arg3n7um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

All the podcasts I listen to have ads, so it does not bother me. Plus, I enjoyed how Jeff read the ad. In the end, if having ads on the podcast means I get to enjoy all the other content that is produced, then I am all for it. I do appreciate the effort of having an ad-free version for premium members though.

CannedBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the ads are funny I really don't care. Given a choice between ads and ad-free I'll take ads, as long as they're read like they were this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a good thing they provide the option for an ad-free version, and that's the version I'll take when provided. Though I can appreciate and respect Jeff's silly delivery of the ads, I am under no obligation to like advertisements, nor should anyone be judged for not liking them. I subscribed. I'm doing my part.

I do hope it gets them more bargaining power with CBSi, at least.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By morningstar

With ads of course.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

With ads read out by Giantbomb. That way they don't get in the way.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

"How's their video player?" "It's probably better than ours" was the funniest part of the podcast

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With Jeff doing the advertising I'm absolutely fine with it.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The first ads were very entertaining and if they stay that way I don't see any reason to avoid them.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blow your ads all over my face and chest, GB!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#46  Edited By StarvingGamer

They'll probably be for Squarespace for a while so that might get old, but any talking is content and I want more content. Make my podcast as long as possible.

EDIT: Maybe next will be Audible.com? Would be great to hear Jeff do some back-of-the-book dramatic readings.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Stete

It's great that the bomb crew tried to put some effort into make ads interesting (and judging from the feedback, they succeeded) but I would have to say no, I am more than happy to have an ad free site (and podcast) in exchange for 50 bucks a year.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RazielCuts

@starvinggamer: Please let there be an audible version of Space Jam on their site. If not I know a guy.

Yeah if they do the ad's like MBMBAM where there's still jokes to be had there then I will willingly opt into the added up version. Unlike Weekend Confirmed where they have ad's for 2 minutes and I just hit the 'skip 30 secs' button over and over. Have you guys heard about GameFly?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

People get so paranoid about ads. "Oh, no someone put an ad in something...I'm going to die!!!!"

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I was only half sold on the delivery, but I'll keep listening to it until it starts to bore me..