Problems with Overcast (iOS)

stevland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey!

I'm using www.overcast.fm for listening to podcasts. Everything worked fine until last week. I can download the bombcast just fine and play it fine as well. Now, when I pause it and come back to it later, it'll be just weird noises. When I'm fast enough I can kill the app and restart it, then it'll work again. Sometimes I have to do this again. When I'm not fast enough, the podcast will delete itself and I have to redownload it. This only happens with the bombcast, every other podcast works just fine. Oh, and it's the premium version.

Does anyone else experience the same thing and has a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Stev

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By majorchin

@stevland: I had an issue with this last week where when I downloaded the podcast it turned into it being 24 hours long, and all weird noises. Happened again this week, so I unsubbed from the podcast and resubbed and it is working fine so far.

Edit: I'm on the iOS app.

stevland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stevland

@heavymetalwaffle: iOS app here as well. I deleted and resubbed a bunch of times, but the problem is still there.

To listen to the whole podcast, I had to redownload it at least 5 times, super annoying.

I'll try again and kill the app after deleting it.

Oh, and here's the reply from Rorie:

"As far as I know, I haven’t heard of any widespread issues like this lately, and usually I’d hear pretty quick if it’s affecting multiple people. I would check with the Overcast people first and see if they have any issues!"

EDIT: it happened again. :(

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had the same issue for a few months, as well. On top of that, the Overcast app hasn't pulled a premium podcast episode since the Bombcast from March 7.

stevland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: did you check the pinned post here? They changed the way how to subscribe to premium. Before that, I was using some weird method I've found on here. Don't even remember.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Ive had this exact problem on overcast, in general the app has been more crashy/unreliable as of late. A damn shame.

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: Yeah ever since they pushed the larger update that changed the UI a little bit it's been sort of janky. Hopefully they get that stuff ironed out soon.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevland said:

@nnickers: did you check the pinned post here? They changed the way how to subscribe to premium. Before that, I was using some weird method I've found on here. Don't even remember.

Yep, I'd also been using some nightmarish old method and, as you predicted, following the new instructions from that thread gave me premium subscriptions with the latest episodes. The OP in that thread mentions that the older method would potentially be shut down eventually: I guess that happened.

As for the staticy-1,000 minute long issue: what's worked for me is simply playing another podcast for an instant and then going back to the glitchy one. Simply switching back and forth from another has always resolved that.

mmgreenmms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this same issue with the latest episode.

1. Downloaded, played garbled mess and it deleted itself.
  2. Downloaded again, same issue.
  3. Unsubbed from podcast and then resubscribed, the episode plays fine now.

If you have issues try unsubscribing and then resubscribing.

Make sure you're using the latest premium rss feed method detailed in this post.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, just to make sure I'm not missing out...

Why don't you use iTunes for podcasts on iOS? That's what I use and I wanted to make sure there weren't any cool features I was missing by doing so.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@mattimus_prime: overcast does everything itunes podcasts does but is slicker and more streamlined, i find. Its free to try with ads if you want to give it a go.

Lately it's just become a bit unstable, so watch out for that.

stevland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, just to make sure I'm not missing out...

Why don't you use iTunes for podcasts on iOS? That's what I use and I wanted to make sure there weren't any cool features I was missing by doing so.

Overcast has Smart Speed. That feature cuts down the pauses between words, so if you listen to loads of podcasts, you will save a bunch of time. Other apps may have 1.5x or 2x speed, but that sounds just weird. It has some other neat features as well, I've been using it since day one.

And I rarely have problems, besides with the Bombcast. Speaking of, no matter what I try, it is still messed up. Last episode I had to re-download three times. Being somewhere with WLAN, that's not that annoying, being on the road it is. I won't blow my monthly mobile download contingent on a podcast.

Also, I realised that the Beastcast is kinda messed up as well. It won't show a ridiculous amount of time, it won't spit out weird noises and it won't delete itself. Usually, when I open Overcast, no matter how long it has been closed, it'll open on the last podcast I've been listening to. When I listen to the Beastcast it opens up in the main menu. Then I have to scroll to the Beastcast and hit play. Minor annoyance, but still, something has to be different with those two, every other podcast I listen to works just fine. And I listen to a lot.

Does anyone have those problems listening to the non premium version?

stevland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right, this week, the podcast doesn't seem to make any problems. Whatever was changed, it works now.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I had the same issue last week as well (it was only on GB podcasts for me as well). No problems this week. Weird problem but glad it resolved itself.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm having this exact issue. It's happened with the Bombcast and the Beastcast. When I reopen the app it looks like it adds a zero to the runtime of the podcast ie: 200 minutes becomes 2000 minutes and the sound turns into incoherant bleep bloops. After rebooting sometimes the podcast is gone and sometimes it loses my progress and sends me back to the beginning.

tomsonn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tomsonn

Trying to reproduce a frequently reported bug where podcasts are “played” to the end in a few seconds, sometimes garbled.