Sci-fi book series mentioned by Vinny

yesac2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yesac2004

Does anyone know what sci-fi series Vinny was referencing towards the end of the Mass Effect discussion on this week's show?

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By salarn

Probably war hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By connerthekewlkid

HERESY? HERESY!

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By triumvir

I could be totally off-base here, but the Relic games and various wiki-holes have given me the impression that it is the God Emperor's psychic energy that allows FTL travel via the Warp in the 40K universe, but I'd hardly call that dude an AI.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By inkerman

@Triumvir said:

I could be totally off-base here, but the Relic games and various wiki-holes have given me the impression that it is the God Emperor's psychic energy that allows FTL travel via the Warp in the 40K universe, but I'd hardly call that dude an AI.

Yeah I thought that's what he did as well, or he powered the psykers which guided the ships through the Warp. Dude also keeps evil Gods at bay. Pretty busy being dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the impression Vinny was referring to Hyperion.

Also, don't read past the first book. Seriously.

(Well, actually, the second book might be worth going through, but you'll only be hurting yourself. And anything with Endymion in the title I regret reading.)

ultraman324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ultraman324

It sounded like the Hyprion Cantos by Dan Simmons

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@Triumvir

Yup. Navigators use the Astronomicon to find their way through the warp to travel huge distances and its powered by the Emperors psychic energy and also I'm a huge dork.
triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By triumvir

@Inkerman: It's something like that. I've actually got a fat stack of Warhammer books to tear through over the holiday break. I even bought a model Dreadnought to put together and paint. No intention of playing the table-top stuff, but the games have hooked me on the universe, like they did to Vinny.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By granderojo

I ASKED HIM ON TWITTER BUT NO RESPONSE.

I think it's Revelation Space.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By triumvir

@Bistromath said:

Duly noted and added to my reading list. Thanks, dude.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By triumvir

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Triumvir

Yup. Navigators use the Astronomicon to find their way through the warp to travel huge distances and its powered by the Emperors psychic energy and also I'm a huge dork.

I think you're in good company, then. Heh.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BisonHero

Keeping in mind that whatever series it is that Vinny was mentioning, he was basically spoiling a pretty major event in that series, I think he may have been referring to the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons. It's a 4-book series, and the first book actually won the Hugo Award and Locus Award the year it was published. While I really didn't care for the last 2 books, the first 2 books in the series are really quite good, especially the first one. The warp gates getting disabled and causing mass chaos and fragmenting humans who are light years from each other happens at the end of the second book.

If you're interested in the series, then I honestly recommend you read the first 2 books and pretend the latter 2 don't exist. The first 2 books resolve in a very satisfying manner, but then the 3rd book invents ways to completely unresolve everything and introduce new antagonists. I'd compare it to how badly The Matrix Reloaded unresolved everything that was implied by the ending of The Matrix. Also I just totally despised the space hippie bullshit at the end of the 4th book.

Though Vinny's description could probably apply to a bunch of sci-fi books, because if your sci-fi story involves warp gates/star gates/mass relays, one way to have a pretty impressive conclusion is to blow them the fuck up/disable them forever. Several writers have had that idea.

yesac2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yesac2004

@thabigred said:

I ASKED HIM ON TWITTER BUT NO RESPONSE.

SAME HERE!

VINNY WHY DON'T YOU LOVE US ANYMORE?

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Laiv162560asse

I wouldn't recommend the Hyperion books. I found them very disappointing, with a shaky, aimless plot, bad characterisation and clunky prose. Normally I can forgive some of these things pretty easily, since I love Vernor Vinge and his characters and prose aren't exactly awesome. He's still far better than Dan Simmons. I got two books into the Hyperion 'cycle', regretted buying that many, and resolved not to buy any more.

@Bistromath said:

Glad to see I'm not alone. Actually, beyond the Priest's Tale, which was very good, I didn't find much that was enjoyable about the first book either.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BisonHero

@Bistromath: @ultraman324: Goddammit, that'll teach me to be wordy in answering forum threads.

But yes, the Endymion books really aren't as good. I just never bought the romance that is central to the whole thing, and the ending of the whole thing was stupid. Though I do like the part where in the middle of one of the books, the main character has to pass a kidney stone, and basically spends like 20 pages being out of commission with this kidney stone. I'd be willing to bet several hundred dollars that drew on the author's recent life experiences, and I'm amazed an editor didn't give that section the axe because it had no relevance to anything at all.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@ultraman324 said:

It sounded like the Hyprion Cantos by Dan Simmons

Yes. Specially the Fall of Hyperion.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Triumvir said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Triumvir

I think you're in good company, then. Heh.

FOR THE EMPEROR!

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PulledaBrad

From what I gather...Mass Effect actually is the catalyst that sets off the Age of Strife. Warp travel has been established and aliens have been subjugated. Now without the technology to travel "through the warp" so to speak, our human colony brothers will be lost for thousands of years. Now awaiting the arrival of the Emperor to start the Great Crusades. ITS ALL CONNECTED PEOPLE! (Also machines integrating with humans = Adeptus Mechanicus)

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PillClinton

In the meantime, read Foundation by Asimov.

yesac2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yesac2004

Vinny just confirmed to me on Twitter that it was indeed Hyperion

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

@yesac2004 said:

Vinny just confirmed to me on Twitter that it was indeed Hyperion

Show us proof.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PillClinton

And now I have a new book to read.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BisonHero

@PillClinton said:

And now I have a new book to read.

As fair warning, Hyperion and its sequel paint some really fascinating pictures of interesting places and people, but the plot is hard to follow because it's going in a million directions at once. Also I'm told that you'll get a bit more out of it if you're somewhat well versed on literary history. Specifically, the books have some relation to Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, as well as poet John Keats.

Anyway, the first book is definitely really cool, in the way it tells a bunch of different character's stories that all have fascinating mysteries and are quite different from each other. If you find you really like it, read The Fall of Hyperion and see the author try to weave all of those backstories together and resolve all of them in a satisfactory manner; he doesn't fully succeed, but some interesting shit happens. Then never read the two books that come after that one because they unresolve a fine ending and the plot becomes REALLY directionless, and the ending of the 4th book is pretty lame. And I didn't like the new characters nearly as much as the cast of characters in the first 2 books.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By fattony12000

CEASE THIS PRATTLING AT ONCE.

The God-Emperor of Mankind
The God-Emperor of Mankind

ALL UNITS.

ALL THEORIES.