Special Bombcasts

Avatar image for ceruelantransience
ceruelantransience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How would y'all feel about an 'end of year' podcast where they were to throw away typical format?

They done it in the past for "All Emails" editions and such but haven't in quite some time. I always thought they were fun.

How about all Off-topic Bombcast where game discussion was not required. Or a music edition of the podcast where each member could showcase some of their favorite game music... or... something?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'd enjoy another All-Emails podcast towards the end of the year. I think that'll be more effective than an off-topic bombcast, though, 'cause Jeff is the only one who really feels comfortable diving into his extensive knowledge completely unprovoked.

But I don't need one now, too many new games out that the boys still need to play.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

they do the GOTY podcasts are at the end of year and those are like 15 hours long, i don't think they would want to do anymore podcasts after recording those.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alexpiercey

Honestly, about an hour of every bombcast is completely off-topic, so I don't need more of it.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By psylah

I'd prefer if the Tested guys and the Bombcast guys got together and did a one-time Star Trek cast.

Whiskey Media guys loved Star Trek, and when the Tested guys get talking Trek, they go.

ceruelantransience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sgtpierceface:

what you say may be true but just think of the hijinks that could be had in J,R, and V being free to delve deep into their pasts as videogame enthusiasts and beguiling us with tales of yore. So maybe an episode where they are not required to talk just about recent games but their favorite game experiences of all time or whatever.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

I'd like more friday call-in video podcasts as their more interesting to me. The reason I listen to the bombcast is for the personalities and small talk. There are millions of other gaming podcasts so I'd love to have a separate one that doesn't have to talk about games. The friday video call-ins does this.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

Usually the first 45 minutes of the Bombcast has them bullshitting already. I can't imagine enough good emails come in to full an entire Bombcast. If you want a music podcast, I'm sure there are options out there.

ceruelantransience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phatmac:

Mmm... I agree with the small talk but call-ins are always so awkward.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I wouldn't mind another all-emails Bombcast. Don't think we need a fully off-topic one though, since all bombcasts are by definition off-topic for at least an hour.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By BBAlpert

Alternate idea: "A Very Special" Bombcast, where the Bomb Squad tackles some issue like gang violence or teen pregnancy, in an uncharacteristically serious manner.

PS: I don't actually want them to do that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By BisonHero
@Sgtpierceface
Honestly, about an hour of every bombcast is completely off-topic, so I don't need more of it.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand on this issue as well.
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Phatmac

@ceruelantransience: Surprisingly they aren't during the call-ins. At least not most of the time.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Carousel

@BBAlpert said:

I do.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LikeaSsur

@BBAlpert said:

Alternate idea: "A Very Special" Bombcast, where the Bomb Squad tackles some issue like gang violence or teen pregnancy, in an uncharacteristically serious manner.

I do, because eventually somebody would cash in a dark joke, and it would all downhill from there.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By The_Nubster

@BBAlpert said:

And accompanying videos where they workshop the letters that they intend to write and send to the local governing power about these issues.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#17  Edited By mechakirby

I like it when Jeff hosts the podcast because they go off topic for most of the show and that's when Bombcast is at its funniest, when they're off topic. Like the last one he did was during Vinny's ham radio phase and he jut played that boat horn randomly throughout the podcast, I laughed every time and they talked more about ham radio than video games

They should just do a weekly offtopic podcast hosted by Jeff

ceruelantransience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve: There are. Or rather there have been in shows like Retronauts. But the Bombcrew seem to hold many opinions in contrast to the standard fare that I think a music episode could be very interesting.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BisonHero

@MechaKirby said:

I like it when Jeff hosts the podcast because they go off topic for most of the show and that's when Bombcast is at its funniest, when they're off topic. Like the last one he did was during Vinny's ham radio phase and he jut played that boat horn randomly throughout the podcast, I laughed every time and they talked more about ham radio than video games

That really was one of the best podcasts in a long time. It wasn't a boat horn, it was a (Russian?) numbers station.

Agreed that Jeff being host of basically anything makes it more entertaining. I guess Ryan must be the one guy in the office who legitimately volunteers to host things, given that he is the MC for the Bombcast, TNT, and the Whiskey Media Happy Hours, but I really don't like his style of hosting. He just feels like a used car salesman sometimes, in that he tries to smooth things over too much and tries to keep things moving, and he chimes in even when he has nothing of value to say. Sure, things are a semi-trainwreck when other people host TNT, but that honestly makes the whole thing more entertaining.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but to be completely honest, more than any other staff member, I don't really even mind when Ryan is absent from a Bombcast or video feature.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ltsmash

There should be a second full three-hour Bombcast every Thursday. Make it happen.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

I thought this was going to be a Bombcast formatted like a 90s sitcom after school special.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LikeaSsur

@BisonHero said:

@MechaKirby said:

That really was one of the best podcasts in a long time. It wasn't a boat horn, it was a (Russian?) numbers station.

Agreed that Jeff being host of basically anything makes it more entertaining. I guess Ryan must be the one guy in the office who legitimately volunteers to host things, given that he is the MC for the Bombcast, TNT, and the Whiskey Media Happy Hours, but I really don't like his style of hosting. He just feels like a used car salesman sometimes, in that he tries to smooth things over too much and tries to keep things moving, and he chimes in even when he has nothing of value to say. Sure, things are a semi-trainwreck when other people host TNT, but that honestly makes the whole thing more entertaining.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but to be completely honest, more than any other staff member, I don't really even mind when Ryan is absent from a Bombcast or video feature.

They still have a purpose to fulfill. If every Bombcast were "off topic," it wouldn't really be fitting for a video game podcast, would it? Ryan keeps the show going, as it's supposed to. If it was Jeff or *insert other duder here* every week, and they went off topic every week, nothing of value would be said, and I'm willing to bet that would get really old really quick, especially since (I'm repeating for emphasis) they run a video game website.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaggE

I'm still waiting (watitng) for Ryan to hambone the Bombcast theme. After that, they can worry about special episodes. Important things first, gentlemen.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chop

I was really disappointed they didn't do an emails only bombcast last xmas. I guess maybe they didn't get enough submissions or something...either way, I demand it returns this year. If not, I'll express my disappointment on the forums!

Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sless

okay guys I'll start sending in hundreds of emails so they have plenty of questions for an all email cast.

As for an off-topic cast, as much as I love the off-topic hour on the bombcast, I'm not exactly dying for a full off topic podcast... though I bet I'd listen to it and enjoy it anyway.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I would not think twice about paying them something to the tune of $150 a year for an extra, regular-length "special" Bombcast each week. Works out to $3 per episode (that's $150/52 weeks for you math dudes), which is fine by me.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cthomer5000

@BisonHero said:

@MechaKirby said:

I enjoy the Jeff hosted podcasts a lot because they aren't the norm. Ryan is, by far, the best host on the crew. It's a vital and under-appreciated role and definitely necessary on a regular basis.