SWTOR =! collecting cat teeth

Atanatari165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atanatari165

why all the hate on SWTOR? the discussion of the game on the bombcast has been way off. They mentioned this stupid "cat teeth" quest several times. Yes its retarded, but it is literally the only collect-animal-parts quest I've seen in 50 hours of playing. It is NOT representative of the game at all. The whole Jedi start area has a sucky, WoW feel to it, but none of the other areas do. It seems like a lot of people are starting Jedi and immediately getting a bad impression (like the guy who played 30 minutes then quit). I have no idea why they made the Jedi area so boring, but there is a lot more to the game. Every other class I've played has been a blast (Imperial Age, Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Sith Inquisitor).

Unlike most MMOs, it really is a ROLE PLAYING game. To enjoy it you have to get into character. When some idiot tells me to collect cat teeth I say fuck off. Same with earning dark/light points, you have to view the game as opportunity to make decisions, not a treadmill. Those points are there to keep track of your actions, not for you to min/max on. Sacrificing your enjoyment of the dialog (which is the whole meat of the game) just to qualify for some supposedly awesome gear 50 levels later that may not even exist is beyond stupid. The "flaw" here is not in the game, its in the brain of certain gamers who can't help reducing everything to a spreadsheet or achievement list. To really enjoy a game like this, you have to think more like a kid and less like an accountant.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

People will always hate on MMO's for silly reasons.

So lets ignore those reasons and have fun playing the game.
The less people interested, the less people stealing my kills or objectives! ^^

Atanatari165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atanatari165

You are totally right, just hurts me to listen to it...and it is misleading people...and we do need noobs to farm in pvp...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

It might be the only 'collect x from roaming enemy' you see for quite a long time, but it comes from the same mission structure of 'click on various things to collect an item, then bring back to quest giver'.

I would, however, argue that KOTOR had some of that. It isn't MMO laziness. The quests are really not that different from the original series.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chemin

@Atanatari165 said:

but it is literally the only collect-animal-parts quest I've seen in 50 hours of playing.

Really? That's... interesting. In a good way, obviously. I did not expect them to be able to keep shit like that out of the equation.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By benpicko

I don't know. I think it looks all right, but it looks way too instanced for me. I'm just waiting for Guild Wars 2, tbh.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

Good, I can feel your anger.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By tekmojo

It's != brah. The criticisms are fair, every single one of them. Criticisms in ways that would probably make the genre better as a whole. Combat in MMOs hasn't evolved in almost a decade. Since there is no auto-attack, spamming keys is part of their "dynamic" system; yet reflex and timing aren't even important. When story becomes the focal point, a great one at that, every other aspect becomes a check list on their agenda. 

I feel bad for those art designers/modelers who create huge, elaborate cities and it's almost completely empty. Remember the game is frickin MMO(RPG), you can't dismiss complaints just because you think the game should only be looked at from one perspective. Those guys with the spreadsheets and pocket-protectors are actually your hardcore crowd. And any attempt to piss off that audience for an MMO and you've got serious problems. They're pretty much the ones who balance the game for the developers. 

@Atanatari165 said:

You are totally right, just hurts me to listen to it...and it is misleading people...and we do need noobs to farm in pvp...

Yea while we're all "farming noobs" in PVP, acting like billy badass, Mr. Sith or Jedi over there is actually paying attention to the game design and figuring out that weapon B, is more powerful than weapon A. But you keep insisting that guy over there isn't playing the game right. 

This game is not perfect, and saying that people are flawed for thinking more progressively is beyond laughable. Putting a blindfold on and hoping everything will turn out ok, is the wrong way to play MMOs. Developers live and die by the community, and if people like you are apart of it, then no thanks.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mazik765

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

People will always hate on MMO's for silly reasons. So lets ignore those reasons and have fun playing the game.

Replace MMO's with any genre ever and the advise is still sound. Play the types of games you enjoy, and stop worrying about the views of people who know nothing about that genre.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Commisar123

I suppose its because some people have taste and opinion that are contrary to your own.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coakroach

I think the latest Bombcast has clarified that the overall feeling isn't that its a bad game but rather that it hasn't managed to innovate in terms of quest structure or fundamental gameplay.

Less anger and more quiet disappointment.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Nephrahim

It's funny, I've played all the starting zones, and the Jedi one with the cat teeth is the ONLY one that forces you to go on a drop quest where the drop rate is low enough you have to hunt around for a while in there.

Not defending it, but I was pretty shocked when I got there and saw what they were talking about.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikeGosot

All i have to say about this game is... It's an Star Wars MMMORPG. And that's it.

xoffenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xoffenda

Everything they were complaining about could be said about every MMO, especially WoW (minus the empty feeling). It really sounds like they just dont like MMOs, at all. They complained about every MMO staple in the game. Maybe they should have started out by saying "we really dont like MMOs, so remember that while we bash the shit out of it" and they wouldn't have sounded like douches.