This week's Bombcast is INCREDIBLE

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By bibamatt

There's been a few threads recently discussing how the Bombcast has been not so good recently. I just kinda wanted to balance that out a bit by saying that this week's (30/04/13) Bombcast was incredible and, while I don't subscribe to it being bad recently, this week's was my favourite for a looong time!Patrick's Eve fanfest talk was super fascinating and, while I think he's a crazy person, Jeff's Yoshi's Island critique is brilliant. Just loads of crazy vidyagames talk which is, after all, what I love hearing the guys talking about.

Nothing else to say really, just really enjoyed it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I also enjoyed the EVE talk. I never want to play EVE but hearing all the stuff that goes on around the EVE community is just mindblowing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This podcast 8/10, would listen again.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By sammo21

Meh, there are always threads that the Bombcast isn't good or someone hates one of the guys...its always good, haters are just going to hate. I like Patrick but I still dislike his passionate defense of Yoshi's Island without being able to provide 1 shred of evidence to support his cause. If you don't have anything you just kind of keep quiet otherwise you come off looking a little petulant. The EVE stuff was pretty cool but I got a little tired of hearing so much of it on the Bombcast; its another light gaming week so they needed something pad out the time I guess. I will watch/read all the coverage, I just kind wish it were lighter on the Bombcast, personally. I don't think it made the episode worse by any means.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By bibamatt

I also enjoyed the EVE talk. I never want to play EVE but hearing all the stuff that goes on around the EVE community is just mindblowing.

Yeah, this is totally me too. Have almost zero interest in playing it (or Dust 514) but I adore hearing about that community and it's crazy fans. It's infectious hearing someone like Patrick who, like most of us, only has the smallest understanding of the game, talk about all that crazy shit.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alexpiercey

I want to point out that I was planning on making one of these for last weeks bombcast, but I was too lazy. So this works too.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

@sammo21 said:

I like Patrick but I still dislike his passionate defense of Yoshi's Island without being able to provide 1 shred of evidence to support his cause. If you don't have anything you just kind of keep quiet otherwise you come off looking a little petulant.

well when pretty much everyone else is ganging up on him it's a little difficult for him to retaliate, no?

i think the past 3 bombcasts have been fucking phenomenal. needs more ombudsman brad tho. *ding*

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Surely you mean 4/5, sir.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Surely you mean 4/5, sir.

no, pitchfork it. 8.0.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The people that complain about the uneven podcast quality need to chill out. Its unreasonable to expect across the board hits every week. This is a conversational podcast, there will be lulls during slow weeks, but sometimes gems will pop up. The last month or so has had some awesome episodes, like this week. The rest of the content on the site might be a little slow but it more than makes up for it.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11  Edited By MachoFantastico

Been listening to a few other gaming podcasts of late and it's not till you compare the competition that you realise how good the bombcast is. Maybe it's because I've been listening to Jeff, Ryan and the crew since the Hotspot days, I dunno. The only other game-related podcasts I have enjoyed are 8-4 and IGN UK. But yeah, the last few podcasts have been fantastic.

One thing I have learnt about myself, I hate gaming podcasts that take themselves to seriously.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

The Iceland part is MIND-BLOWING! That place sounds incredible.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I knew the story behind the whole Titan bit in Eve beforehand, but hearing their interpretation of it had me in tears.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definitely one of the best episodes they've ever done. I've never played EVE but my ears are just glued to my headset because it's so fucking fascinating.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colourful_hippie
Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bombcast is always awesome and there's always threads about how it sucks now. Who cares. The Bombcast is awesome.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jimmyfenix

fuck yoshis island

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skipped the Ryan wedding nonsense but the rest of it was good stuff.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50% Less Patrick

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sammo21

@ripelivejam: No. the second Jeff said something negative towards it Patrick's response was something like "go hang yourself" or something, so he escalated things rather quickly, even if he was jesting. Only Brad and Jeff were negative towards the game. Vinnie was silent and Ryan was pretty much saying he couldn't like anything with Yoshi because he generally hates the character in anything.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad should really stop looking at his phone. I could swear he didn't say a word for 1h30 or 2hrs in the middle.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Yeah real good. God all I wanna do now is play EVE. One of these days I'll jump in.

Also the people who think they don't talk enough about games must have been losing it during the wedding talk.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunkasaurasRex
@ripelivejam said:

@sammo21 said:

I like Patrick but I still dislike his passionate defense of Yoshi's Island without being able to provide 1 shred of evidence to support his cause. If you don't have anything you just kind of keep quiet otherwise you come off looking a little petulant.

well when pretty much everyone else is ganging up on him it's a little difficult for him to retaliate, no?

Didn't he also specifically say that he needed to play the game again in order to properly defend it? He certainly disagreed with Jeff, but he was clearly hesitant to argue about it even after Jeff decided to rail against the game a second week in a row.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@ripelivejam: No. the second Jeff said something negative towards it Patrick's response was something like "go hang yourself" or something, so he escalated things rather quickly,

The way I imagine you saying that is not the way Patrick meant it. It's like an old saying or some shit that pretty much means "I don't care what you do/say" with the underlying context of whatever it is you're doing/saying is, more or less, so crazy that you're putting yourself in a position that will not end well.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@ripelivejam: No. the second Jeff said something negative towards it Patrick's response was something like "go hang yourself" or something, so he escalated things rather quickly,

The way I imagine you saying that is not the way Patrick meant it. It's like an old saying or some shit that pretty much means "I don't care what you do/say" with the underlying context of whatever it is you're doing/saying is, more or less, so crazy that you're putting yourself in a position that will not end well.

Yeah, it's basically the equivalent of saying "go ahead and dig your own grave".

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Kohe321

Completely agree, though I've felt that way about all the recent podcasts - they hold the same high level of quality.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sammo21

@funkasaurasrex: @babychoochoo: You kind of cut my quote off where I acknowledge that. Even in jest its an ignorant remark to make when it comes to argue your side and you basically choke and say..."well...I've not played in a while so I don't know why I feel the way I do...".

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By ShadowConqueror

It was all right. Not sure I'd say incredible.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Herk

I also liked it but I honestly didn't notice any different level in quality from last time

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By casper_

it was alright. eve stuff is kinda interesting but i had to skip through patrick's part... it went on for like an hour or more. that seems to be the general trend. as i skim through bombcasts i usually will hear patricks voice at most places i stop and it seems like he is the main contributor in basically every conversation. if someone else is speaking its generally a dialogue between them and patrick ie jeff talking about a game and patrick chiming in/asking questions. he generally dominates the news section as well (which makes sense i guess)

not necessarily a bad trend if but i personally find myself skipping more stuff.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Seppli

@bibamatt:

I miss the days, when the guys were more into wierd sodapops and salty sweets, rather than marriage planning and such... other than that, the EVE talk was quite entertaining indeed.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i thought it was aces. especially the iceland bit. wedding talk just stresses me out.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this weeks episode was great. The Iceland/EVE stuff was super interesting!

I always find it funny how people bitch about the Bombcast being constantly off-topic, but the Bombcast was founded on off-topic goodness. Go back to the old 08 ones, all the drink taste tests and what not. One of my favourite episodes, when the Grin guys were on they had about an hour long candy taste test. That was amazing!

GideonAmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should start a website that reviews all GB content; Bombcast, QLs and stuff.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the casts are great, and the only people who bitch about the 'quality' are probably mostly the people who sit and stare at their screensaver while listening rather than distracting yourself with a shit game or something else not too distracting but just distracting enough to keep you fully entertained.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pezen

I actually quite enjoyed Vinny's careful questioning of the Italian stereotype in Mario. Because I think there is some truth to what he was saying and I found it all very interesting.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love the Bombcast and this week's wasn't an exception. I eagerly count the minutes till it's Wednesday again (because, you know, timezones) to joyfully commute while listening to the Bombcast on the train.

And I will never, never, ever get married.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i thought it was aces. especially the iceland bit. wedding talk just stresses me out.

Weird I have never heard anyone refer to anything as being Aces. Im assuming thats good. I only got about a hour in and passed out perhaps ill finish it tonight.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this Yoshi's Island non sense must come to a head in a video (possibly of the streamed variety) of both of them playing the damn game and going off at each other like lunatics.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; The less they have to talk about, the better the podcast is. This one wasn’t bad, but I’m holding out for a return of the russian beeper this summer.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I have to concede, as someone who gave the Bombcast a rather middling iTunes review due to what I felt was a degree of stagnancy creeping up in the podcast, the past couple weeks have shut me up. I'd actually say the most recent one was even stronger, Jeff's Genesis memories, Brad's crippling DOTA addiction and recollections of a house party gone wrong made for an amazing three hours and change.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

THIS week was killer. I have always enjoyed the Bombcast's incredible tangents, as well as the stretch to three hours. However, for the first time since it's inception, I've been thinking they have getting kinda stagnant recently; except this week was killer. They have casually made reference to the Alex "Forty Hands" story before but I am stoked that they finally let rip. And lo, was it magical.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By musubi

I got to say this weeks is highly enjoyable one of my favorite 2013 podcasts so far.