Unprofessional journalism on GB

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxNBxx

Not for nothing but today's GB has proved the point about how unprofessional the guys are with their journalism.   This is something that has been going on for some time now and it really upsets me that they continue to do it.

First off if you are going to have a topic on your pod-cast have all the information about said topic in-front of you so that you can clearly relay the info to your listeners.  Point in case,  in this week they talk about WoW's new promotion. They only give half the facts about the promotion and Jeff then goes on a tirade about how this trivializes his experience with the game and how this is (in his mind) a stupid move.   (I would at this time like to say I have played WoW but i am no longer playing but still keep up with whats going on with the game from time to time)  You would think they would have talked about what was going to be on the pod-cast before and everyone would do the research so that they will be informed and give everyone a clear understanding.   

I am pretty sure that even they guys at penny arcade would make sure they knew what they were talking about before they made a comic strip of the topic.  I make the penny arcade correlation cause GB and PA take a more comic approach to the gaming world.   I love the funny moments of GB its why i come here,  but when you get up on your soapbox and preach at least do the work to justify what your saying.    I don't care for when you get preachy about things, cause sometimes you prech one thing then go right back and say something contrary.  Case in point,  the Soulcalibur tie in with Star Wars,  yes its a promotional thing we all know that,  But what is MK vs DC?  Its the same thing isn't it?  Why are you not jumping all over them?  (i am nether a Soulcalibur fan nor a MK fan)

I will say this,  I applaud Jeff for picking up Madden,  i hope he can stay neutral and write a far review of the game.  It really hurts to have to write this cause i do really like the site and you guys.  just please know what your talking about before you talk about it to your audience.

(I know these are just my views and maybe i am the only one that sees this happing,  so please don't post on here if you have nothing intelligent to add) 
PS: don't know why i put it on the PC page, just kind of happend.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

I think you have the idea of a Podcast all wrong. It's not an article. It's 4 guys talking.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm pretty sure the GB podcast isn't really a raw news program more than it is a bunch of editors' reactions to the world of gaming.

And MK vs. DC is completely different than the Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur IV. MK vs. DC is just that; Mortal Kombat characters fighting against DC characters. But Soul Calibur IV is not "Soul Calibur vs. Star Wars," and I think his main argument was that Yoda/DV don't belong in the context of the game. Besides, MK vs. DC isn't even out yet.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zeus_gb

The GB podcast isn't really a news program as such it's just the editors talking about the world of gaming while allowing the world to hear them.

Oljud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Oljud

Well I also think that the fact are importent but as long as they keep say "I like peeing on stuff" I am more than happy. And I come to GiantBomb for the humor. And becouse I think that me and Jeff and ryan have some what of the same tast in Games. So I think that there opinion on game matter and helps me. But I dont thing this guys are unprofessinal.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mourne

GiantBomb isn't a corporate machine; they're doing what they want, and it--truly--feels like a much more leveled experience. It's much more translatable, to me, when the guys on the podcast don't have to hold back and can just talk about gaming gamer-to-gamer.

McPlated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McPlated

I swear any time you see some fellow with Xs on both ends of his name he will always be a moron.

I call it "McPlated's Law"

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By serbsta
Demilich said:
"I think you have the idea of a Podcast all wrong. It's not an article. It's 4 guys talking."
Amen.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I like there raw unedited style, It's what GB is. They can pretty much go on with whatever the hell they want, and it`s alot different from most gaming sites, who else talks about energy drinks and has a deer with a wrestling mask on there wall?

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaveF

Ah but if they didn't get things wrong, you wouldn't have had a topic to create! See they were thinking about you. They thought out beforehand - 'lets get the facts wrong, then xxNBxx can create a thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DaveF said:
"Ah but if they didn't get things wrong, you wouldn't have had a topic to create! See they were thinking about you. They thought out beforehand - 'lets get the facts wrong, then xxNBxx can create a thread."
Haha, I bet it was going through Jeff and Ryan`s mind the whole time. "Lets just fuck with this guy,totally mess up the news and piss em off"
:P
BionicIguana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BionicIguana

If you must view the podcast in the same light as an article then you at least have to realise it is in an editorial style, not a regular news/review style

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John

I for one hate it when people just talk like robots about topics in there podcasts, makes me go to sleep in minutes. that's why I like stuff like game scoop and the bombcast. They don't take things to serious, but keep me interested the hole time because it feels like a conversation rather than a BBC news room.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I agree, but this has been part of Jeff Gerstmann's career. Did any of you ever see the review headline for MGS on Gamespot? He gives it an 8.6, but the title is something along the lines of "It only takes 3 hours to beat." He doesn't even mention anything about the game other than how long it takes to complete: his only gripe. That's retarded.

However, I didn't come here for Jeff. I came here because I got banned from Gamespot and I wanted a forum. Here I am.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By solidphoenix

A podcast is not journalism.
Stop being so uptight.

BionicIguana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BionicIguana

The main point of a headline is to grab attention, not convey information.  Pretty basic journalistic concept really.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
BionicIguana said:
"The main point of a headline is to grab attention, not convey information.  Pretty basic journalistic concept really.
"
Yeah, I know. I'm an amateur  journalist. Still, it's crap. It's going for shock value moreso than grabbing your attention. Sure, boobs on cable grab my attention, but it's still going for shock value.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HazBazz

As everyone else said, you're missing the whole point of the podcast, and the site in general. Giant Bomb isn't about the hard facts, sales figures, and corperate shit, its 4 guys talking about games, and having fun doing it. The Giant Bombcast is one of the most relaxed podcasts I listen to, and everyone just gives their honest opinions. Theres plenty of places you can go to learn the hard facts about news stories, this isn't one of them.

BionicIguana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BionicIguana

At the end of the day.. did you read the article?   If you did.. then mission complete.

I can see what you mean, but I think it is a very minor complaint - a little bit of fanboy baiting is ALWAYS good for business

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It`s really one of the only podcasts I can just sit down and listen to without dyign from boredom, I remember listening to a Podcast on some mmo-site, and holy shit there like mono-tone slave robots working for a communist government, GB is a breathe of fresh air as far as gaming websites and podcasts go.

reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By reflekshun

These guys are people with good personalities and interesting clear opinions on the gaming scene. Its great to hear about it, and the news they decide to bring along with them. GB is doing a fucking awesome job! Chill its not the 6pm news, that shit is boring anyway!

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HazBazz
xxNBxx said:

Case in point,  the Soulcalibur tie in with Star Wars,  yes its a promotional thing we all know that,  But what is MK vs DC?  Its the same thing isn't it?  Why are you not jumping all over them?  (i am nether a Soulcalibur fan nor a MK fan)

Jeff explained his case here. If Soul Calibur was presented as a crazy crossover game, with lots of star wars characters in, or lots of characters from several franchises, it would make sense. But theres only the 2 dudes, making it just feel desperate.
UrbanGuerilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By UrbanGuerilla

I think everyone is taking too much for granted here. If people do not question the standards in play then there is no requirement for the site to improve. Nothing to drive Jeff, Ryan, Brad or Vinny to improve.

xxNBxx has a point, the podcast is usually funny and light on the facts. The guys usually don't have all the facts. Humour is one of the main attractions of the podcast and this site and I think it works really well.

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Schadenfreude
xxNBxx said:
"

I will say this,  I applaud Jeff for picking up Madden,  i hope he can stay neutral and write a far review of the game.  It really hurts to have to write this cause i do really like the site and you guys.  just please know what your talking about before you talk about it to your audience.

"
I feel completely opposite about this statement.

I feel it is appropriate to re-post what I said on NeoGAF:

After telling us that we shouldn't expect reviews for sports games, the video they posted when the new Madden was released and what they said on podcast about it, I'm getting the impression they just picked it up to rag on it and give it a poor review. Maybe I'm wrong though and they're reviewing it for their readers, even though they hate it, because they think it's a prominent series that their readers want reviewed. Even still, it doesn't mean they should only focus on the negative parts, which Jeff did on the podcast. I don't think he said a single positive thing about it.

I got the impression that most of the games they would be reviewing would be ones they were interested in and games they thought were important to review. While Madden may fall into the second category, I remember them saying they wouldn't be reviewing it. They're a small team, they shouldn't be using up time reviewing games they and I'm sure many of their readers don't care about. If someone does care, by the time their review comes up they will have either already bought it or read about the changes on another site. I like the way they currently handle reviews, previews and news and don't want them to try to cover material they're just going to mishandle.

It's clear to me that my taste in games are different from Ryan and Jeff, but I still enjoy reading and listening to what they have to say. However, if they're going to play a JRPG for review because they feel it's important and drudge through it, possibly not giving it a fair chance, I'm not going to take them seriously. I'm not sure yet whether they're going to be focusing heavily on the gamepedia part of the site or the editorial. I don't think the gamepedia is enough to distinguish themselves from other gaming websites so they should still work hard on their editorial.
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By xruntime
Arkthemaniac said:
"I agree, but this has been part of Jeff Gerstmann's career. Did any of you ever see the review headline for MGS on Gamespot? He gives it an 8.6, but the title is something along the lines of "It only takes 3 hours to beat." He doesn't even mention anything about the game other than how long it takes to complete: his only gripe. That's retarded.

However, I didn't come here for Jeff. I came here because I got banned from Gamespot and I wanted a forum. Here I am."
Along the same lines, I have yet to see what many of these reviewers are made out of. As I mentioned in other posts, my favorite reviewers (from Gamespot), the people who I knew can get the job done, are O'Campo and Kasavin. I didn't really so much for the people as it was a pretty nice idea to have a gaming wiki. I also will agree that I've seen him in some reviews harp on a couple of minor things, but other reviewers are much worse off (Gamespot's Watters saying Team Fortress 2 cons are "Heavy reliance on other players can make or break the experience" and "Strategic depth can be daunting").

I haven't played any of the games they've reviewed yet, so I think the deciding factor will be their review of STALKER - Clear Sky.
sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sizu
xxNBxx said:
"

Not for nothing but today's GB has proved the point about how unprofessional the guys are with their journalism.   This is something that has been going on for some time now and it really upsets me that they continue to do it.

First off if you are going to have a topic on your pod-cast have all the information about said topic in-front of you so that you can clearly relay the info to your listeners.  Point in case,  in this week they talk about WoW's new promotion. They only give half the facts about the promotion and Jeff then goes on a tirade about how this trivializes his experience with the game and how this is (in his mind) a stupid move.   (I would at this time like to say I have played WoW but i am no longer playing but still keep up with whats going on with the game from time to time)  You would think they would have talked about what was going to be on the pod-cast before and everyone would do the research so that they will be informed and give everyone a clear understanding.   

I am pretty sure that even they guys at penny arcade would make sure they knew what they were talking about before they made a comic strip of the topic.  I make the penny arcade correlation cause GB and PA take a more comic approach to the gaming world.   I love the funny moments of GB its why i come here,  but when you get up on your soapbox and preach at least do the work to justify what your saying.    I don't care for when you get preachy about things, cause sometimes you prech one thing then go right back and say something contrary.  Case in point,  the Soulcalibur tie in with Star Wars,  yes its a promotional thing we all know that,  But what is MK vs DC?  Its the same thing isn't it?  Why are you not jumping all over them?  (i am nether a Soulcalibur fan nor a MK fan)

(I know these are just my views and maybe i am the only one that sees this happing,  so please don't post on here if you have nothing intelligent to add) 
PS: don't know why i put it on the PC page, just kind of happend.

"

I don't know if someone else has pointed this out but the comparison between Soul Calibur and MKvsDC is incorrect.

MKvsDC is a cross over game similar to the various Capcom vs XXXX releases.  The 3 additional Star Wards characters are a pure marketing tool.  It isn't a cross over game and it makes zero sense in them being there.  Especially the apprentice.  The only reason here is there as Lucasarts wanted to use the opportunity to pimp the upcoming force unleased.

As far as the podcast goes.  Every podcast I listen too, inc GB, gets something wrong be it info relating to a game, or getting the basis of a news story wrong.  However its a podcast, a group of guys chatting about video games.  It doesn't matter. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UrbanGuerilla said:
"I think everyone is taking too much for granted here. If people do not question the standards in play then there is no requirement for the site to improve. Nothing to drive Jeff, Ryan, Brad or Vinny to improve.

xxNBxx has a point, the podcast is usually funny and light on the facts. The guys usually don't have all the facts. Humour is one of the main attractions of the podcast and this site and I think it works really well."
There are standards, like I said, to me anyways, as long as they don`t sound like monotone robots and they talk about games and energy drink`s( ;) )  with there humorous gestures and remarks, then Giantbomb podcast will be fine.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The PodCast is just 4 guys who work on this site casually shooting the shit, it isn't exactly the Times.

Stop taking yourself so seriously.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By suneku

moved to Bombcast

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitNRun

OP: I won't say you're wrong per se, but if you're coming to this site (at this point) for "journalism," you seriously need to add some sites to the Games folder in your Bookmarks.

nickyvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nickyvegas

On any website on any podcast you are going to hear peoples opinions.  You are not listening to a news broadcast.  They are talking to each other and you are listening to their conversation.  If you need all the information on a topic look up that topic yourself. 

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DualReaver

Internet it's srs bizness.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Otacon

The GB editors are all very proffesional, the podcast is as much for entertainment as it is information. I visit Kotaku every day, and know virtually all of the news, it is the reaction of the GB team that I listen for.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Vaxadrin

Of course it's unprofessional, that's what makes it fun.  If they went down a bullet point list of every news item and gave middle-of-the-road objective statements, it would be terribly boring to listen to.

Also gaming press =/= journalism.  They're critics, and critics have no obligation towards objectivity or fairness.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadow

but that's what makes them great.  Jeff has been doing this stuff since 1995, I have to think he knows what he's doing.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Homer
Tarsier said:
"You seem like one of those guys who just has to pick at everything. Give it a rest =P"

Seriously... the reason I like GB is because it doesn't have to be 100% professional.
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Relys

This is a blog, not to advertising gaming but to talk about it.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By hazelnutman

If you want to be a stuck up, super-serious person, then leave.

This place is casual and fun... just how I like it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By wefwefasdf
Demilich said:
"I think you have the idea of a Podcast all wrong. It's not an article. It's 4 guys talking."
Exactly.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brad

Regarding Soul Calibur versus Mortal Kombat:

MK vs. DC is a total 100% unabashed crossover. It's got "DC Universe" in the freaking title. They wear it on their sleeves that yes, this is a big marketing cash-in with some dudes who have nothing to do with MK whatsoever but would still be pretty sweet to fight against. The same gimmick paid off in spades for Marvel vs. Capcom back in the day. I can speak for Jeff and myself in saying that what we're stoked about is that Midway is running with the concept as far as they can.

By contrast, Soul Calibur IV is weird because, just like in SCII with Link/Spawn/Heihachi, they've snuck in these weirdly incongruous characters as some kind of half-hearted marketing-driven bonus to the game. The fact that Yoda and Vader are front and center on the box art just makes it look like that much more of a desperate grab for attention. If Soul Calibur went all the way and started pulling in tons of characters from every big action series you could think of--say, if Soul Calibur 5 had Kratos, Dante, Nariko, Ryu Hayabusa, Master Chief, and name-about-a-dozen-other-action-game-heroes. I say it needs to go back to what it was, which was a fighting game with a bunch of believable historically themed characters, or it should become the Smash Bros. of hardcore fighting games. Right now it's in this weird in-between area that doesn't sit well with me.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By and333
Brad said:
"Regarding Soul Calibur versus Mortal Kombat:

MK vs. DC is a total 100% unabashed crossover. It's got "DC Universe" in the freaking title. They wear it on their sleeves that yes, this is a big marketing cash-in with some dudes who have nothing to do with MK whatsoever but would still be pretty sweet to fight against. The same gimmick paid off in spades for Marvel vs. Capcom back in the day. I can speak for Jeff and myself in saying that what we're stoked about is that Midway is running with the concept as far as they can.

By contrast, Soul Calibur IV is weird because, just like in SCII with Link/Spawn/Heihachi, they've snuck in these weirdly incongruous characters as some kind of half-hearted marketing-driven bonus to the game. The fact that Yoda and Vader are front and center on the box art just makes it look like that much more of a desperate grab for attention. If Soul Calibur went all the way and started pulling in tons of characters from every big action series you could think of--say, if Soul Calibur 5 had Kratos, Dante, Nariko, Ryu Hayabusa, Master Chief, and name-about-a-dozen-other-action-game-heroes. I say it needs to go back to what it was, which was a fighting game with a bunch of believable historically themed characters, or it should become the Smash Bros. of hardcore fighting games. Right now it's in this weird in-between area that doesn't sit well with me."
Agreed totally and about the wow thing I think the cast of the Bombcast think that all of their listening are responsible enough to go out and research by themselves if they care enough about the subject. Jeff was in no way bashing Wow but saying that the new making it easier to level was just ruining the beginning game they had.
and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By and333
xxNBxx said:
"Brad said:
"Regarding Soul Calibur versus Mortal Kombat:

By contrast, Soul Calibur IV is weird because, just like in SCII with Link/Spawn/Heihachi, they've snuck in these weirdly incongruous characters as some kind of half-hearted marketing-driven bonus to the game. The fact that Yoda and Vader are front and center on the box art just makes it look like that much more of a desperate grab for attention. If Soul Calibur went all the way and started pulling in tons of characters from every big action series you could think of--say, if Soul Calibur 5 had Kratos, Dante, Nariko, Ryu Hayabusa, Master Chief, and name-about-a-dozen-other-action-game-heroes. I say it needs to go back to what it was, which was a fighting game with a bunch of believable historically themed characters, or it should become the Smash Bros. of hardcore fighting games. Right now it's in this weird in-between area that doesn't sit well with me."
There is a difference with the Marvel vs Capcom games,  the first is Capcom made a Marvel game just a year or so before they combined the two.  The second is capcom wasn't really looking for a big promotional boost from a tie in.  I just feel the MK vs DC thing is just a move to bring interest back into the series.  I mean the next game is said to be MK9 right?  is this MK vs DC MK8?    

PS: its sat night shouldn't you be out doing something?  lol"
Dude when Marvel vs. Capcom came out they were looking for a big promotional cause anytime you combine 2 series you are trying to bring in the fans from the other series. Before Marvel Vs. Capcom no ones cared about Street Fighter so I see MK Vs. DC as the exact same thing, trying to get interest back in the game, which is fine as long as the games good.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By xplodedd
Vaxadrin said:
"Of course it's unprofessional, that's what makes it fun.  If they went down a bullet point list of every news item and gave middle-of-the-road objective statements, it would be terribly boring to listen to.

Also gaming press =/= journalism.  They're critics, and critics have no obligation towards objectivity or fairness."
I think other then relaying on the users to bring some encyclopedia content, GB is just a fun website. When Jeff said most game websites are becoming a "slate". They are exactly what you talked about: simply news, and more news that no one really cares about.
and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By and333
xxNBxx said:
"

And333 said
"Before Marvel Vs. Capcom no ones cared about Street Fighter"   LOL yeah ok big guy.   The very first one they did was X-Men vs Street fighter,  released by Capcom in 1996.   Street fighter 2 came out in 1991 and I am pretty sure that  is the game that made ppl care about  Street Fighter

"
No need to get defensive and say big guy, if you actually read all my statement you would see I was defending both street fighter and MK saying that they were both trying to re vitalize their franchises, which they were. people lose interest in things very quickly and 4 years is a large enough gap. I'm so glad I can have a intellectual conversation here without getting insulted, just by stating my opinion..... 
AttackedCamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AttackedCamo
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

The PodCast is just 4 guys who work on this site casually shooting the shit, it isn't exactly the Times.

Stop taking yourself so seriously.

"

Quoted for the truth!
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Drebin_893

Grow. Up.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BoG

You know, this is the style of GB. If you prefer totally serious reports, GB isn't the gaming news source you are looking for.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By dj

Podcasts are not set in a ridged fashion, they can tackle any topic any way they want. If you don't like it then simply don't listen.